Muffled Tape Recordings

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Have any of you ever had to try and clean up and re-record old muffled cassette tape recordings? I'm in the middle of trying to clean up some old african music tapes for a friend of mine and so far it has been hell! I have tried everything that I can think of to clear up the recordings but with minimal results. The recordings are full of hiss,muffled,sound drops in & out, etc. Does anybody have any tips on how to go about this? You know like; what should I use that would help the situation? I'm trying to get these done as quickly as possible; cause this friend of mine is due to deploy to Iraq soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ONE

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
I cleaned up a sample off casssette using the Hiss removal plug in Adobe Audition & the noise removal plug from Waves Diamond bundle. Then I put it through the UltraMax.

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
That Noice reduction filter from Waves Diamond works fine but if you want top result you need real hardware.

Peace

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
i wish i could help more than whats been already spoke.. but i can't beyond try everything. Filters, Plugins... find your balance and gl... i have a little tape recorder that i use to sample and create tapes for my car. But I use Cooledit 2000 to find my need.. if i were you i'd try that wave plugin previously commented on. never tried it though. peace god

H&R

DJ Nice // Crack City
ill o.g.
http://www.crysonic.com/products.html

Try that . . . I ran the demo thru some muffled samples and it compeltly brightened and cleared them up. I also tried it on a few of my tracks and it did add clarity to them with out any harshness of highs or subtraction from the lows. Very solid so far in my opinion with just toying with the demo. I might have topick it up and $35.00 is not a bad deal at all.

As for the hiss, clicks, pops etc. it won't really do anything to but you can get those out the best you can with cool edit and then run them thru that and clear them up.

members online