Music Biz Scandals?

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
I need a lil advice...i know somebody that won a couple competitions and this record label wants to sign her. (its a big lebel..you all have heard at least one of the songs) so she met this guy while she was in NY and now for some reason he's her manager...(verbal agreement) now theres this competiton in NY and he wants her in the prize is $1000 and he says if she wins then he wants 25% he says he works for sony. and he has all this money that they give him to spend on potential artists...first of all im thinkin that an a&r for sony wouldnt do any verbal agreements, next why is she payin her way up to NY if he got that money to spend on her....wut do yall think, and how much do "managers" usuallly get percentage wise??? and feel free to tell me anything else on this subject that you would like ppl to know...thanks

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
u need to get more detailed, who u tryin to protect???

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
does he have a business card?, a number to verify which office or departemnt he's in. Most "mangers" do not work for record companies. i f he is an A&R tehn yeah they can be shady charcters at times...they do receive a bugcet to recruit talent..and they do dick around people alot( my boy that raps down in kansas city got dicked around by an A&R for awhile before the label past interest in him)..i would say tell her to jhust keep doin her thing, not to put all her eggs in one basket..If she has attrtacted the eye of one major label she probably actually caught the eye of a few..if she can afford it it might be worth it but if its gonna break her back then fuc it cause after a minute mudafucer goona be tryin to seek out her fo a deal

TITO

MAESTRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
ask for other artist that he has managed and like homzini said a business card would help. 25% is not bad if he is getting her gigs and exposure but you really need to know what other artist he managed and see what has he done for them because this industry is shady period...

C

Copenhagen

TITO is right on. If he is a manager, he shouldn't mind giving you telephone numbers to people he has managed (references) and let you call them to check how good he did his job.
If he works A&R, he should, like Holmzini said, have a business card and on there a number to his office...