Music industry for the rest of your life?

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
Ok, so who on this forum actually plans on working in the music industry as a career, as opposed to a part time thing.

Most of you who know me on the forum know that I've committed my life to the industry, and have actually come a long way and am doing fairly well. I still have a long way to go, but progress is being made on a daily basis!

I bring this up because, I'n the 5 years or so I've been involved in music, I've come across a LOT of different people. DJ's, engineers, producers, artists, etc, and honestly 99% of them THINK they're serious about music but don't commit themselves to it. How can you expect to succeed if you don't dedicate every waking moment of every day towards it?? To be perfectly honest, I have yet to meet ANYONE who has anywhere close to the same dedication I have towards this industry....And believe me, that 99% probably goes for this entire forum. I would bet there's only a few people on here (I can probably count on 1 hand) that have decided to make this their career and are 100% dedicated to it...

I really get frustrated sometimes. People talk A LOT! I'm trying to help out a few aspiring producers to get to where I'm at, offerening them to take advantage of my contacts etc. There's one producer (friend) in particular I'm working with, helping him with his beats, and attempting to shop beats for him. He says he's serious about this, he's got talent, but when I ask him for a Pro Tools session to mix and get the tracks ready, it's a HUUUUUUUGE hasstle to get him focused enough to send it!! It's like I need to ask him 50 times to send it and he always ok ok, and never gets around to it!!

Anyways, how many of you guys are working full time towards making this their career? Whether it be as an artist, producer, engineer etc.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
Jesus you said it exactly how it is. My friends an I talk about this all of the time. So many people that actually do have talent just don't have the dedication when it comes to being professional. I honestly can't stand that shit. I get offers every week for beats and people that are interested in buying beats or seriously collaborating but when it come down to it people completely flake out or randomly take like a month to get back to me.

It's like everyones tryna be a rapper or producer FULL time. Everyone wants that, but they don't want to put forth the ACTUAL EFFORT of being a full time professional, legit and serious MC or producer. Rappers want an album to say they have an album and expect big fucking results but they dont put anything more into than their rhymes. Same thing with producers.. Everyone produces all of a sudden expecting to blow up without putting forth effort, time or studying/improving their craft. What the FUCK people??

I have honestly met and been thoroughly disappointed with about 50+ people in my entire 6 years of music business experience. I could say that only 3 of them have been worth my time and at that, nothing truley amazing or special.

If I ever find an MC as devoted to his craft as I am to mine, there well be a forging of skill that would rule over all of the lame shit out there and really make heads recognize.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
5th Sequence said:
If I ever find an MC as devoted to his craft as I am to mine, there well be a forging of skill that would rule over all of the lame shit out there and really make heads recognize.

Early on I worked with about 2 or three other producers, they were mos definitely serious, but here is the thing I had 1 really good emcee, and he was serious to an extent but when it came to the blood sweat and tears of staying up late, late hours and recording for hours at a time till it was right he started slacking and then I stopped messing with him because it wasnt going anywhere, another element is doing shows if you cant find and artist that doesnt like to perform do not even mess with them.....the point for me is this, as a producer unless you have a platinum artist you can mold or not even platinum but sell records you are at practice, I mean you have to be a hobbyist if you are not selling records or appearing on them as a producer.....to me being serious at this is making money and a name for yourself and being dedicated to the cause not really dedicated full time because most I know have another job.....even if you are working locally with labels other producers or working with artists making money that defines serious to me....because you never know which one of your efforts could pop off into something....but you are right a large percentage of folks that namedrop and say they can help you cannot.......anyhow if you are in it to make at least 1 hit I would keep that as my goal and consider you serious....the rest you cannot predict because this is a small lifespan career field for the large percentage of artists that make records, for a producer you can probably continue finding projects much longer and branching into other things.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I hear ya. For me, a long time ago I wanted to get into the industry by engineering. I took some courses and tried to take it further but always something was popping up for me in my personal life, so I would put it aside. Years later I was going to get into the scene as a DJ/Producer with a friend of mine MC'ing but that never panned out with him. At the same time other shit was popping up. So eventually I settled down doing this: IllMuzik! At first I just looked at it as a hobby, and it really still is to a certain extent, but I feel that THIS is my contribution to the industry, this site.

What people need to realize is that there's so much that can be done in 1 day. Many people just don't have the drive to succeed and do what it takes. I think when it comes to MC's, that's the worst. Most of them just talk shit and don't want to take it anywhere, and you end up wasting your time with them.

Just keep doing your thing and leave the other ones in the dust!

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Well said Fade.

Bigmakintrax, we're on the same wavelength lol.

Theres this one MC in my area that I personally think is dope and I would love to work with him. But he is the most unreliable person i've EVER met in my life. I actually had a basement party and we setup a stage for him to perform like 3 songs that I thought were tight. This was some underground old school vibed hip hop stuff and all of the people at the party were into THAT and not the bullshit mainstream stuff. Would have been perfect right? Well this dude comes like an hour an a half late, then he proceeds to get so piss drunk that he falls off the stage as soon as he gets on there an then tells me he cant do his performance.

Come on like what the fuck man? It was only a performance for like 25 people or so but still. People actually showed up to see HIM and he fucked it. At the time we were planning on working together and I was gonna take pictures of the performance to try and get some album cover shots.

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
Well I figured the thread would turn slightly into this direction, only because EVERYONE who is serious about this shit has run into the slackers numerous times. It's just the way it is.

So, back to the original topic, who on Illmuzik actually considers music their life, and are willing to do anything to make it? And when I say anything, I mean dedicating all your time, money, and life to this. For example, I've been interning at 2 different studios for 6 months now, UNPAID. And although many interns only work a few days a week, I'm working 7 days a week, 80 plus hours. Now generally, interns shouldnt be unpaid for 6 months, that's crazy, but I ran into industry bullshit that is forcing me to start over from the beiginning. Basically, the first studio I worked at, had no intentions of ever paying me, regardless of the job I did. So after a few months, and the owner fucking me on a large production budget I had on the table, I was forced to quit.

Now I work in a much better studio, with some extremely high profile clients, and with one of the top engineers in the game. Probably one of only 2 or 3 engineers in hip hop that can be considered "super engineers", same way Neptunes are superproducers lol. Even though I put in so much time into the old studio, I gotta start from the bottom at this new one, still unpaid. It doesn't even cross my mind to say no because I know how great the opportunity is. This is what I'm talking about dedicating you life to music. I wake up, and go straight to the studio just about everyday. Shit, the first week of January, I literally lived at the studio. I only went home to shower and change clothes. I would stay their for 36 hours, go home, change and shower, then come right back.

So maybe this is a better way to move this thread. How many of you are in this for life, AND, what are you doing to make this your career?? What steps are you taking, what are your goals, and how are you going to achieve them??

HOLLA

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Well I like this topic becauseI am Deadly serious when it comes to my music, I absolutely do not F around. I have been at this long enough that my hiphop can walk into a bar and buy itself a drink.
The reason I am not out there on the level that I am striving for is because of the very topic of this thread.
I have to do EVERY LITTLE THING when it comes to this music and I only recently became involved with this internet thing.
I have been through periods where I have lost everything and given up everything for this music, Fam, housing,sanity and delt with ALOT of Fake ass MF.
But before my blood pressure gets too high I will say my man StepChild is a truly dedicated cat, as well as an artist that I know named Breeze, everyone else is playin.(in my immediate recent sphere that is)
In my company we used to have a dues system where the minimum you had to put in a month was $25.
We couldnt even get $25 A F'N MONTH out of these guys,yet they could afford weed and equipment for their spots, this left me in a bind as you can imagine and we have trimmed alot of fat since then.(hell they're ALL gone)
If you are serious get your paperwork together, and dont go into business with someone that you were friends with first.I know that sux but not half as much as its going to if you do.
I have given up everything but my Soul for hiphop it doesnt get much more serious than that.
When I get an award someday yall see me boohoin like a bitch cuz its been a hard as fuck road up to this point.
Everyone who knows me from even 10 years ago ask about the music.I am locked on like a pitbull if you shot me I wouldnt let up.
Thats why the abbreviation of my company is R.I.P because if I get killed doin this the company name will STILL be above my head forever.
If anyone is seriuos about linkin up ever let me know I am trying to finish gettin my ducks in a row where I can do alot more.
I need help from anyone everyone,grafik design,booking,logos,photography,management, Its not like I dont already have these things but we are looking for some serious cats that believe in the project and can run with the concepts that are already developed or can add assistance to the cause.
I absolutely do not need halfsteppers and I am not one.
Ok I think my 30 minute therepy session is about up but I am tellin you fellas I know that there are some dedicated cats on this site just please dont ever doubt my dedication to this thing I have lost alot in the pursuit of knowledege and all things hiphop.
"This aint a game to entertain its a lifestyle, purists persecute makin me hostile!"

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
5th Sequence said:
Well said Fade.

Bigmakintrax, we're on the same wavelength lol.

Theres this one MC in my area that I personally think is dope and I would love to work with him. But he is the most unreliable person i've EVER met in my life. I actually had a basement party and we setup a stage for him to perform like 3 songs that I thought were tight. This was some underground old school vibed hip hop stuff and all of the people at the party were into THAT and not the bullshit mainstream stuff. Would have been perfect right? Well this dude comes like an hour an a half late, then he proceeds to get so piss drunk that he falls off the stage as soon as he gets on there an then tells me he cant do his performance.

Come on like what the fuck man? It was only a performance for like 25 people or so but still. People actually showed up to see HIM and he fucked it. At the time we were planning on working together and I was gonna take pictures of the performance to try and get some album cover shots.
^god thats fucked up.
I was tryin to do that shit with cats I think are hot and they all have somthin better to do with their day as well.
At the least its irritating at the worst it makes YOU look like a buffoon. My GD camop is so small right now....
As far as what am I doing?
Well besides networking on here ,which has been nice,I found soundclick I am finished recording this album for Step,I am getting it remixed now then it goes to ATL to get mastered, then the artwork and shit should be done and we will be looking at the manufacturing options to DiscMakers or not to DiscMakers?Thenwe should actually be out of the house netwrking at these one mics and and shows and shit.
There is obviously alot more like our BMI stuff and marketing strategy but I am not going into all that here but I will say againi anyone who is serious, ie: working, however if neccessary to get the end product done then recouping big or just has somthing to contribute get at me.
(I know a cat who wants to purchase beats I was lettin him check out on the Beat This!).
I think the paper work turns alot of people off to this game, I know it took me a while, that and I HATE having to go do the club scene unless we're already playin but hey thats sacrifice and obviously I cant get anyione else to do it. (pant,pant)

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
FRankly, I'd like to be a full time producer, but, for now, I'm forging my skillz and style. And doing this dont pay the bills, unfortunatley.

When I'll be there, then, I'll be a full time music maker.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
I wish I could afford to intern for free as much as you do djswivel. The experience your gaining in your time spent right now will reward you 10 fold down the road so maintain bro.

Right now I took this term off from college to focus on beats. I'm nonexclusively signed to a studio in new jersey and they have about 30 tracks they are selling of mine to their industry contacts. I'm also going to be doing about 20 remixes for them as well. I don't wanna say the prices yet cuz i'm tryin not to jinx myself here but it i'll post what happens when it happens.

I probably get 5 emails a month or so from people interested in tracks and of that, only 1 out of every 15-20 actually come through. I wake up around 9AM every morning and make beats/research techniques, read books and network with anyone I can.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
5th Sequence said:
I wish I could afford to intern for free as much as you do djswivel. The experience your gaining in your time spent right now will reward you 10 fold down the road so maintain bro.

Right now I took this term off from college to focus on beats. I'm nonexclusively signed to a studio in new jersey and they have about 30 tracks they are selling of mine to their industry contacts. I'm also going to be doing about 20 remixes for them as well. I don't wanna say the prices yet cuz i'm tryin not to jinx myself here but it i'll post what happens when it happens.

I probably get 5 emails a month or so from people interested in tracks and of that, only 1 out of every 15-20 actually come through. I wake up around 9AM every morning and make beats/research techniques, read books and network with anyone I can.
When I get there but with a tour bus parked out front I will feel better.LOL

krysolite

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
im still a high school student, grade 12 now, decent marks in school maybe low mid 80s. but im reallllyyy serious about wanting to go to some music school or audio engineering school. i have my mind set to make this my life, cuz every spare time i have is spent studying producing, reading up on mastering for hours, making beats, searchin for samples etc. anyway if i had the chance to make this my life i wud jump on it right away. i mean within the past year ive been so serious about this, the year before that i wud spend hours daily makin beats but never looked into this industry as a career. BUT THE THING IS, my parents have something else in mind. being a 2nd generation korean, meaning my parents immigrated here, i was born here, they want me to be some other engineer, doctor, business man or w/e professional job. really playing with my mind, i havent applied to any music programs for next year, but in uni i hope to keep my dedication to doing wut i can for now, making more contacts and etc. i cant say im up there with u guys rite NOW, but in a couple of years i will be up there. (lol i know ur thinkin, this kids all talk, but i havent seen any dedication like this around me either. my parents r forbidding me to have any involvement with music, but im sneakin down to the basement and doin my thing. organized a concert with this other guy for march 11. ahh. well ye.)

hmm. to wut djswivel sed, that life sounds appealing to me, living at the studio. lol but how do u eat. no time for a second job.. unless u got a shitload of money from ur parents or something =b.

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
krysolite said:
hmm. to wut djswivel sed, that life sounds appealing to me, living at the studio. lol but how do u eat. no time for a second job.. unless u got a shitload of money from ur parents or something =b.

Believe me, I'm not sittin on money like that. I'm struggling. Between the crazy tuition from school and now living in NYC working full time at an unpaid position, my debt is quite high. But I look at it like this, when an artist gets signed to their deal, the label gives them an advance. A few hundred thousand usually. Well, my loans are my advance. Once I get that hit (which will come I promise you guys), it will pay all that off. Those artists that get their album advance have to pay ALL of it back to the label once their album starts selling. They don't make a dime until they pay off their debts. You gotta look at it like that, otherwise you wll focus on the money spent, and not the future ahead of you.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Ok, ok, ok I faced the reality I know I wont be doing the "trying to get on in the music industry thing for life" instead I watch my friends dissapointments and accomplishments that are either inside, just got in or trying to get out...and just rejoice and continue building and make my beats for ME...thats it ME....but I am a musician and will be involved in music for life...thats why I sell my beats for 25 stinking dollars on the internet...yeah thats right those thousands of trax I made over the last 7 years and thousands of dollars of equipment and hours.... so they gotta go somewhere lOL...

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
All the people in this thread are people i recognize as illmuzik fam and who are serious and dedicated to making it. (the only person i dont recognize is krysolite and ima assume your serious since you speak realistically and like a grown person.) i would have expected the e-kanyes to hit this thread en-masse. thank god.

on the real, i doubt i will ever make it in this buisness. in fact, i probably wont ever make more moeny in it than i am now. (1-2 beats sold a month, low prices...) that said, i, like most of the people on this forum, would give my left hand to get a foot in the door. i use my right one on the pads.

but think about it; theres so many opportunities to do something related, even if it is indirectly. im currently interning at a studio which teaches little kids things like the basics of reason and the basics of making their own recordings. its a nonprofit deal. the guy who owns it just loves making music and recording and the nuances of it all, and so he decided to create his own opportunity so he could be around it all day. hes not a rich guy, he barely pays the bills, but he makes enough of a living to be able to keep doing the things he loves.

Theres another guy here in portland who started a recording studio/pizza parlor thing. they sell pizza, and in the same building, connected, right nextdoor they have a recording studio and a small concert venue. a lot of local indie and small time amateur acts play there, and its a pretty popular place. the pizzas real good too. again, dude isnt very rich, he just forced his way into a buisness that is at best very unforgiving. so there are ways. figure one out.

public service message from colossus... keep your head up.

haha

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Yo Colussus,

Ha i'm oregon too. I didn't even realize. What's the name of that place??

I'm more than determined to break the fuck into portlands music scene once the time is right. I wanna connect with all of the heads that are doin it an establish a solid sound.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Interesting Topic.

I think people that aspire to be in this business would benefit greatly from simply being honest with themselves at the beginning. Take an assessment of yourself and your work ethic, and if you feel that there are other things more important in your life than music, then you probably won't be that next "american idol" (lol)

There are a million other ways to build industry contacts if your music isn't ready yet.
In my opinion, the internship is still the most effective way to get your foot in the door,
its all about what you do once you get in the door that counts.
There are PLENTY of careers you could choose that will keep you around music for the next 10-20 yrs. Many people start off with the intent of being famous, but only like 15% of artists fit that description.