Must have ingredients to begin making beats

John Doe

Hi guys,

I wanted to ask what all hardware/software I need to own in order to start making beats.

from what i've read I understand it to be:

A Laptop
A MIDI Keyboard
A DAW
Some good speakers and headphones

is this correct? ,thanks for the help - John Doe

OriginalNoGuru

Struggles of Dad - by OldBones - due Dec 2016
Audio interface to connect those speakers to your music (and to take pressure of the CPU while it deals with all your audio & plug-ins and stuff)

OriginalNoGuru

My laptop (i3 + 12Gb RAM) can't cope without my AI once I get into mixdown so I'm gonna have to disagree.

The pressure a decent soundcard takes off the CPU when dealing with audio can't be underestimated.

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
Im with @Trik with this one, if you cant afford the audio interface just yet, then dont. you dont have to force yourself into buying one. like @Fade said, Master your DAW, from there youll figure out a way to maximize your setup even if its just a laptop and headphones. Besides, its not what you use, its how you use it.

I can give you an advice that can probably help you afford that setup including the audio interface....

"Torrents"

you can probably figure it out from there. :)

TriKRaps

Whats life without hip-hop?
Battle Points: 4
Im with @Trik with this one, if you cant afford the audio interface just yet, then dont. you dont have to force yourself into buying one. like @Fade said, Master your DAW, from there youll figure out a way to maximize your setup even if its just a laptop and headphones. Besides, its not what you use, its how you use it.

I can give you an advice that can probably help you afford that setup including the audio interface....

"Torrents"

you can probably figure it out from there. :)

Cracked Daw's For The Win :p

PhDBeats

Dr. Boom Bap
That is definitely it, @John Doe. If you have a Mac and you are not recording any outside vocals or instruments then you do not need a sound card. The Mac's sound card and Core Audio are just fine for hiphop production, especially with sample based hiphop.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
i cant believe how wrong everyone on this thread is...

you HAVE to have a complete analogue studio - its ALL about what gear you have - fuck everything else

OriginalNoGuru

i cant believe how wrong everyone on this thread is...

you HAVE to have a complete analogue studio - its ALL about what gear you have - fuck everything else

Ha!