My Effort to Quit Sampling

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Oh heaven knows how I love to lay a record down on that platter and press start to begin my quest to gather up the best funk , soul and R&b loops known to man! But this is something that I plan on stopping... TODAY. If it's not royalty free (paid for by me) or played by me I'm gonna (try to) refuse usage. I mean, drums or sound hits might get a pass, but straight up loops and chops (melodic structures) ...NO MORE.

Big D and I was talking about this earlier. At this stage of the game, samples invite another mofo into your equation. This is a headache I just don't need.

I think I'm about to be sick. :tire:

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Oh heaven knows how I love to lay a record down on that platter and press start to begin my quest to gather up the best funk , soul and R&b loops known to man! But this is something that I plan on stopping... TODAY. If it's not royalty free (paid for by me) or played by me I'm gonna (try to) refuse usage. I mean, drums or sound hits might get a pass, but straight up loops and chops (melodic structures) ...NO MORE.

I must have been drinking when I wrote this! It is something I want to do but...... TO BE CONTINUED.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
it's good to try all three, samp, 'orig', and a combo.

things like tv placement and certain request call for no samples, even royalty free ones, but at the same time you also gotta do what comes naturally and feels good to you even at the cost of less compensation.
totally disguising samples by superchoping that ho is not always the best option.

practicing now will give sometime to find a zone and hopefully a sound that fits whats in your head.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Exactly, we were talking about more so on the level of this...if your big break using a sample for your placement comes along, be very prepared to defend and guard against 1. YOur own work and what you brought to the table for the sample(flipping it and what not also making sure the drum break or chopped drums you used is also cleared) 2. Someone else does not come out of the woodwork laying claims to the song either the composer himself or even another hip hop producer.

I am coming into contact with more and more bigger label or not so big artists that have enough management and connections that are keeping them from using album tracks that have either uncleared samples or heavy rotation sampled records even at the expense of HOTNESS, some will not even consider using the sample, now on the other hand for the lucky that have access to a major label and clearance department or precleared sample catalog you have nothing to worry about but that is the minority of folks, we all know hip hop is founded on sampling but the game is SOOOOOO saturated with people using the same sample over and over and over and not bringing a lot to the table when the sample is flipped.

I am not quitting sampling because of the foundation and hip hop and imma head that grew up on Wu Tang and Rza, Jungle Brothers, Prince Paul and Pete Rock....but at the same time I am creative enough musically to either compose or go find a musician that can play a guitar riff or whatever and then pay him to use the work that way he isnt cheated and its win win....with sampling, from a musicians standpoint, if you think you are going to get famous as say Kanye at this point in the game by sampling its a very steep hill especially when a lot of the beats are going back to the basics resembling electro, and straigh 808, 909 with a lead casio or synth melody, roller skating rink bubble gum ish...and more so completely composed from scratch tracks be it using acoustic instruments, cleared sample cd's or synths but overall being more involved and creative in the finished track is going to yield more returns, I think the main focus is be effective and versatile in every aspect of production, but because of the many headaches and legalities its not worth the time sampling beyond a mixtape or lo budget production.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Thanks... for years I was only composing , then thanks to the influence of this forum Ive gotten back into digging and sampling, now I gotta quit again?? lol
Basically I try just to sample notes or drum sounds mostly...mostly..Then compose something.
But Im gonna just keep on keepin on..

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
someone like 'ye won't be in the real 'top ten richest in hip hop', if that matters to some. the amount of the recoupables, his need to spend more on video and such, and the publishing split will decrease that check.

he's secure though, and has enough juice to offset the biz (curious if he's gotten that mech royalty yet seeing how acts from yesteryear with less budget/advance sometimes don't see a mech check after 4 + years after multi plat stats and /or retirement)

up and comers don't have that juice or security. they have to make a choice to either try to negotiate, pass, or accept eating the cost plus the other shit. if they're gonna accept it they should at least ask for a pillow to bite down on before they bend over.

it's nice when you have a local or indie who says 'fuck it, let them come' when it comes to sampled tracks and clearance.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
to be honest when your talking of it in money terms you need to realise the money these guys are making the majority of it is gunna come from stuff outside of the actual music and thats only going to become more apparent with the mp3 download market reducing music profits even more its the other stuff that is bringing these guys the money !
if you like a sample use it no-one in here is releasing major albums so itsn ot like its even going to cause a headache ...

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
OR FORM A BAND!!!
YES THATS RIGHT!! THEY ONCE HAD THOSE!! GUYS WHO ACTUALLY MADE UP ALL THE SONGS THEMSELVES!! lol
But Im like yall I dont play an instrument beyond keys that I hear in my head,
and I think dealing with 5 diff egos for one song is a bigger headache than clearin a sample..