My take on the UK hip hop (just got back )

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Im a diamond geezer lol,

Well i just got back from London yesterday (my 4th visit in 2 years) and again i had a great time. Being a black American in a place that idolizes hip hop and American culture gives instant celbratitiy status( i pulled mad chicks with the accent and charm)

Here is my take on UK hip hop

I think that most UK hip hop is wayyyy behind. Most the stuff I heard(underground and radio play) was cheap imitations of American hip hop music. I mean I aint tryin to hate or nothing but wtf is up with cats tryin to look and sound American. Why cant cats be proud of being British there its such a rich culture overther it kills me when I see cats trying to be something they aint.

I went to an event called the jump off and had a chance to chill with a lot of UK underground cats. There was a rapper named swiss there that is suppose to be hot , it was a joke. I mean I know there are some talented cats out their, but you guys need to do a better job of representing yourselves. Cats like SAS are making the UK look real bad on the hip hop. I had a chance to meet and talk to a popular UK radio DJ name dave vj, we talked about this for hours with grandmaster flash(yes the real grandmaster flash we debated in the bathroom for 2 hours)

On another note, London is a great city, I epically love south London and west London(stone bridge)(those are the 2 places I stayed). I feel at home there. Its funny but everyone else in London calls those places bad areas, but to me they are very nice and quite neibrohoods. Don’t belive the hype UK. If I wasn’t trying to do the music thing, I would move over there.

Afrique, beserk, and markn as well as other talented UK heads on this site, why haven’t yall takin that shit over, UK hip hop is wide ass open with virtually no competition. Yall could run that shit on the production tip.

Anyway that’s my 2 cents

P.S
Ohh yea, whats with the fucking black dudes dating white chicks, I thought it was bad in the states, over their that’s like the standard, if ur black in the UK u gotta date a white chick. It was crazy, but yall do have some fine ass white girls though.

Class….

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
welcome home bro

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
Being a black American in a place that idolizes hip hop and American culture gives instant celbratitiy status( i pulled mad chicks with the accent and charm)
man you can just see the head swelling LOL

Yea you just about got my opinion of UK hip hop in there lol, i'll take it over soon ; ) lol

as for the black dudes dating the white girls that ones easy, white girls over here seem to be attracted to black guys i think they think they are all like 50 cent or woteva ! it's all good !

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
only person i was feelin was Kano thats the only person that seemed to have skill there too me Dizzy i couldn't stand that cat i never understood why he was Soo enjoyed there..

He's real coo though pretty humble

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
i told him before and i tell him again... he's just listenin to the wrong shit...

but yeah... glad you had a good time... your back in october right... we'll show you some proper music...

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
man u wanna listen to them louis slipperz mix tapes wiv peeps like jehst, braintax and rodney p on em, who was you listening to while u were ere?

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
SpinDoctor said:
man u wanna listen to them louis slipperz mix tapes wiv peeps like jehst, braintax and rodney p on em, who was you listening to while u were ere?

Word...Jehst, Lewis Parker and all those Low Life Records types - their stuff is tight. I'm not saying you should only listen to the underground stuff, but there really is a lot of UK talent that is just beneath the surface, so to speak....Being exposed to Kano and Dizzee Rascal would make me think terribly of a country's HipHop scene too.

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
i don't really rate jehstor braintax to be honest... but whatever floats your boat

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Class,

Did Flash listen to any of your tracks, or you didnt want to sweat him on that level?

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
i always wanted to hear there take on hip hop and how they do there shyt....is listenin to there radio rotations better than ova here where we hear nuttin but 50 Cent and shyt like that?

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Ozmosis said:
Class,
Did Flash listen to any of your tracks, or you didnt want to sweat him on that level?
Nahh i wasent even thinking on that production music biz stuff, we were just talkin man to man and i think thats why he appericated the convo so much. While we were talkin everyone was tryin to give him the celeb treatment but i was just tryin to get his opionion on stuff.

FuriouZ said:
i always wanted to hear there take on hip hop and how they do there shyt....is listenin to there radio rotations better than ova here where we hear nuttin but 50 Cent and shyt like that?
IMO its worse, its the same shit but six months later, that akon song "so lonley" is just starting to get rotation over their

class...

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
uk aint bad man, the whole hiphop thing is only just getting big right now, so everyone jumping the bandwagon and thinking they can rap. theres a whole lot of damon dash wanabes over here, not that wanting to achieve similar success is a bad thing, but everyone is trying to run a record label man its crazy. he music is getting better, so classic if u thought that the uk hiphop u were listening to was trash, imagine listening to the hip 2-3 years ago. theres some people u shud hav checked out though, kano, skinny man, klasnekoff, black twang these dudes are good. now there people in the uk everyone rates that i dont, dizzy, rodney p, jehst ( is this the dude that sounds like he got a cold all the time). anyway i dont hate, i appreciate lol, theres people here trying to make things happen, and i respect that. perhaps some people are already doing albums when theyre not mature yet music wise, or rather havent got their rap game up to par, and thats probably the cause of the garbage class had to witness.

and dont get me started on SAS, these guys are doodoo, i dont know what on earth damon dash saw in them.

beatwise things are real good over here, alot of talent producers here are already in the game, thats the good thing about here. if you really got the talent, theres room, but you gota hustle. there are lots of opportunities for producers but u just have to invest alot of time into getting ur grind on. what ive also noticed is since hiphop aint exactly blowing off over here (u dont see SAS on top of the pops lol), rnb is a better shot for commercial success.

oh and yeah welcome back class!!!!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
roots manuva man, them fuggin roots manuva...

But on the reall, if you go to amsterdam you get the same thing, bad tastes, crappy hiphop because the general consensus consumes it. That doesn't mean there's nothing out there, well, nothing within reasonable time you could have runn into as that takes more time and the proper events. Other than that, we're a minority in Europe so good hiphop is hard to find. Cliches and Trends are far to easy to find and lots of chica's are naive ( but that shouldnt be a bad case though if you're up for it hehe ). I think the further you get from the mainstream, commercial hiphop scenes as in loads of metropoles, the more real the people become. Lets say less of the fancy shit...

Next time visit brighton, less hiphop but quite a nice place to visit ....

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
classic said:
Im a diamond geezer lol,

Well i just got back from London yesterday (my 4th visit in 2 years) and again i had a great time. Being a black American in a place that idolizes hip hop and American culture gives instant celbratitiy status( i pulled mad chicks with the accent and charm)

Here is my take on UK hip hop

I think that most UK hip hop is wayyyy behind. Most the stuff I heard(underground and radio play) was cheap imitations of American hip hop music. I mean I aint tryin to hate or nothing but wtf is up with cats tryin to look and sound American. Why cant cats be proud of being British there its such a rich culture overther it kills me when I see cats trying to be something they aint.

I went to an event called the jump off and had a chance to chill with a lot of UK underground cats. There was a rapper named swiss there that is suppose to be hot , it was a joke. I mean I know there are some talented cats out their, but you guys need to do a better job of representing yourselves. Cats like SAS are making the UK look real bad on the hip hop. I had a chance to meet and talk to a popular UK radio DJ name dave vj, we talked about this for hours with grandmaster flash(yes the real grandmaster flash we debated in the bathroom for 2 hours)

On another note, London is a great city, I epically love south London and west London(stone bridge)(those are the 2 places I stayed). I feel at home there. Its funny but everyone else in London calls those places bad areas, but to me they are very nice and quite neibrohoods. Don’t belive the hype UK. If I wasn’t trying to do the music thing, I would move over there.

Afrique, beserk, and markn as well as other talented UK heads on this site, why haven’t yall takin that shit over, UK hip hop is wide ass open with virtually no competition. Yall could run that shit on the production tip.

Anyway that’s my 2 cents

P.S
Ohh yea, whats with the fucking black dudes dating white chicks, I thought it was bad in the states, over their that’s like the standard, if ur black in the UK u gotta date a white chick. It was crazy, but yall do have some fine ass white girls though.

Class….

welcome home,,,,,

see Class, now you know how we see the South,,lol

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
mayor lol @stres!!1

e.porter

eyez all hazy...
ill o.g.
classic said:
P.S

Class….
that's not just in the uk, that goes on right here in the states, and it happens a lot. lol not that there's anything wrong with it, i'm just sayin'. have you see the nba playoffs lately, everytime a black ball player makes a shot and they flash to his wife on the stands, she's white and has a lot of ice on. lol u know what, i'ma stop. lol

welcome baq btw...