Myspace Contacts- Can they be legitimate?

KEV31

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I got a message today on myspace from a person who's profile claimed to be a producer who is pretty established(I'll leave that out for right now) When i saw it at first, i thought it was a just them tryin to promote something. But they said that they checked out my beats and were feelin them. They also gave a link to a myspace page of someone who shops their beats. I sent a message over to that person with my link, and they want me to email individual tracks. This is the first time anyone has ever shown interest in my tracks so i have been considering sending a couple of tracks with tags on them.

What would you do?

KENWOP

BROOKLYN'S FINEST
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 27
yo tag them make sure you copyrite them and see what happens scared money dont make money na mean

KENWOP

BROOKLYN'S FINEST
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 27
once you send it your good even if it takes months its dated when you mail it and when they recieve it its all good baby

Wizdom

Soul Collector
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
KENWOP said:
once you send it your good even if it takes months its dated when you mail it and when they recieve it its all good baby

Exactly... Technically, a beat is "copywritten" when it is first created. All the process does is help provide proof of the copywright. You can go to www.copywright.gov for assistance as well.

Other than that, the only advice I would give is that you shouldn't have to pay them anything. If they're asking for $$$, then it's probably a scam. Good luck

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
Ah, it's all good. You'll have plenty of people that show interest and then flake out on you. It happens. People arent as "about it" as you'd think, but there are some things out there. Just stay up on elevating and people will recognize your talent for what it is and come to you.

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I'm starting to think I'm the only one that think myspace is sooo over-rated, big time. I can't stand it, especially those myspace people that have those ugly backgrounds and you can barely read what's going on. LOL! It ain't all that and nothing will beat getting off your ass and hitting the streets and making your contacts face to face.

peace

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
Ruimixx said:
I'm starting to think I'm the only one that think myspace is sooo over-rated, big time. I can't stand it, especially those myspace people that have those ugly backgrounds and you can barely read what's going on. LOL! It ain't all that and nothing will beat getting off your ass and hitting the streets and making your contacts face to face.

peace

pretty much agree. although i've made some pretty important connections (at least one ending up in a working relationship) with some established acts, myspace is definitely not all it's cracked up to be.

Did any of you with myspace read the terms and conditions before you put your music or pictures up? after reading this i decided not to put any new stuff up.

"Proprietary Rights in Content on MySpace.com. By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content, messages, text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, profiles, works of authorship, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") on or through the Services, you hereby grant to MySpace.com, a non-exclusive, fully-paid and royalty-free, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense through unlimited levels of sublicensees) to use, copy, modify, adapt, translate, publicly perform, publicly display, store, reproduce, transmit, and distribute such Content on and through the Services. This license will terminate at the time you remove such Content from the Services. Notwithstanding the foregoing, a back-up or residual copy of the Content posted by you may remain on the MySpace.com servers after you have removed the Content from the Services, and MySpace.com retains the rights to those copies. You represent and warrant that: (i) you own the Content posted by you on or through the Services or otherwise have the right to grant the license set forth in this section, and (ii) the posting of your Content on or through the Services does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights or any other rights of any person. You agree to pay for all royalties, fees, and any other monies owing any person by reason of any Content posted by you to or through the Services. "

this basically means they can use any thing you post up on your site, edit it, adapt it, reproduce it, etc and not give you credit. we're talking about fox here...not just some dude at a computer anymore. that means instead of fox having to approach you to use your beats in commercials if they wanted, they can just jank it off the site for free. it's like a giant pool of talent that doesn't know better...sort of like that movie "the island"...

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Ruimixx said:

peace

Myspace is definitely over-saturated with members, but it has changed the entire way music is produced and marketed so it can't be over-rated.

Having a strong work ethic is always good, but don't under-estimate what that site can do if you link up with the right people.

robb_lowe

Akai Till I Die...
ill o.g.
shadeed said:
Myspace is definitely over-saturated with members, but it has changed the entire way music is produced and marketed so it can't be over-rated.

Having a strong work ethic is always good, but don't under-estimate what that site can do if you link up with the right people.

yep, my man hooked up with "nottz" that way. we never knew his studio was so close. i'm talking about close, real close, i drove by it lord knows how many times and didn't know anybody owned it. it looks vacant. he bought out an old hotel building. anyway, i didn't go, but my man told me that he let him hear a few tracks and "nottz" gave him a little criticism. he said once his schedule clears up a little, he'll help him get his production up. now whether or not "nottz" is going to do that for him or not, is not the point. the fact that my man talked to him through "myspace" and actually met up with him is. now hopefully he can get me in there somehow someway (lol). don't sleep on "myspace", but at the same time don't depend on it too much to get heard. you got to put that footwork into it. (grind)

Iszazial

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Agent Smith said:
this basically means they can use any thing you post up on your site, edit it, adapt it, reproduce it, etc and not give you credit. we're talking about fox here...not just some dude at a computer anymore. that means instead of fox having to approach you to use your beats in commercials if they wanted, they can just jank it off the site for free. it's like a giant pool of talent that doesn't know better...sort of like that movie "the island"...

WOW... thats some real shit right there. I just checked that out man and just goes to show how many people will sign a contrate with out reading or even knowing its a contract. im suprised that after reading that why people trying to go somewhere would even post ther music on there.

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Ruimixx said:

peace

true. although for the amount of actual work it takes, selling a beat on myspace i extremely easy. like, message, message, message, paypal, mail.

i think you have to look at it as a compliment to actually pushing and shopping beats, and not as a primary option. it cant hurt to have some beats and purchase info on your myspace though, ive sold quite a few beats that way.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Agent Smith said:
pretty much agree. although i've made some pretty important connections (at least one ending up in a working relationship) with some established acts, myspace is definitely not all it's cracked up to be.

Did any of you with myspace read the terms and conditions before you put your music or pictures up? after reading this i decided not to put any new stuff up.

"Proprietary Rights in Content on MySpace.com. By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content, messages, text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, profiles, works of authorship, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") on or through the Services, you hereby grant to MySpace.com, a non-exclusive, fully-paid and royalty-free, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense through unlimited levels of sublicensees) to use, copy, modify, adapt, translate, publicly perform, publicly display, store, reproduce, transmit, and distribute such Content on and through the Services. This license will terminate at the time you remove such Content from the Services. Notwithstanding the foregoing, a back-up or residual copy of the Content posted by you may remain on the MySpace.com servers after you have removed the Content from the Services, and MySpace.com retains the rights to those copies. You represent and warrant that: (i) you own the Content posted by you on or through the Services or otherwise have the right to grant the license set forth in this section, and (ii) the posting of your Content on or through the Services does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights or any other rights of any person. You agree to pay for all royalties, fees, and any other monies owing any person by reason of any Content posted by you to or through the Services. "

Fuck I didnt know that!! Damn that shit I hope soundclick doesnt have anything similar.
Fortunately my myspace sux I dont know how the hell I got the one track up and the only friend I haveis Illmuzik fam. I even accidently deleted the guy todd or whoever is supposed to be your buddy and help you.
I never found it helpful anyway .lol
Glad I learned that bump it. Ill just throw up a soundclick link there.

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Agent Smith said:

First, the license agreement doesn't say anything about not giving you credit. Also, the license clearly states that you are the recognized "owner" of the material. That's the most important sentence in the whole thing. Because just by being the "owner" (copyright holder), you have a whole bunch of rights that this license agreement can't take from you, no matter what it says. That's federal law, and it takes precedence over a lil punk ass license agreement.

There are some worrying things in there though. Like for example, what if you put a sample beat up and they use it, and the copyright owner of the sample came after Myspace, basically this says myspace isn't liable, you are. And also it says the license terminates when you take the material off, but then the next sentence says no it doesn't. And that sublicense shit is straight up bullshit. But do you realize how quick they would get shut down if they for example started selling myspace musician material to Fox or whoever?

There's a lot of stuff in there that wouldn't stand up in a court of law, like everything I just pointed out. Myspace knows this. They put it there to protect themselves in the event that a dispute arises... Or maybe they will become a record label one day, and whoever had their music up on myspace waaayyy back in 2006 is now one of their "artists"...

You cats ever read the license agreements on your software??? You're in for another shock... they say shit like, you don't own the software you just bought, and we don't guarantee that the software you just bought will work, and in the event that the software you just bought doesn't work, you're stuck with it. Doesn't stop you from buying software....

And last thing. What you got to lose? If you slangin beats to the local cats for a hundred or two a beat like I am, its not like they beating you out of a bunch of dough, first off. Second the potential benefit is greater than the risk. If they do decide to use your shit, its still yours, and it might be something positive to come out of it. Niggas is way too paranoid.

members online