myspace sound qualitity question

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
^^ Certainly not R-Bass on the overall mix?

I gotta find which plug in it is, but there is one that you can set for small speakers, pc, speakers, hi fi systems or lo fi systems, but I think the overall goal is to mix so that the song sounds good on any system.. If your just mixing it for myspace though , you could maybe take your done mix and run it through said pulgin for say pc speakers.

Yes....RBass on the overall mix...not for mastering but to mix for this instance! I've tried it and it works. Everybody doesn't have studio monitors set up when they log onto myspace so specifically mixing for myspace ain't a bad idea. RBass has the "small speaker prep" preset and will make your joints sound much better "online".

"mix so that the song sounds good on any system"

That maybe the overall goal for some but in certain cases that approach doesn't work. I'm not saying get a song "mastered" for myspace....that's stupid....but you can "mix" for sub par online sites. A song being mastered and being played on myspace doesn't really matter, like G said, the way they compress shit sucks. And what is mastering these days? "MAD EXCESSIVE COMPRESSION TO MAKE YOUR SHIT AS LOUD AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE! lol! A lot of people do diff't mixes for diff't venues. I know Kanye went back to the lab and layered his drums just so they'd hit harder in the club.

With Dj's being able to "gain match" while using the latest DJ software you can easily get away with a "well mixed song" as opposed to mastered if you're putting out music for some spins at clubs.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
mixing and mastering with lossy format in mind is a good idea as the cd shelf life is approaching, upconvert before processing the original tracks, maybe a little more air to compensate for the 16k drop, less compression, etc and 2 separate mixes (or more), one for lossy and the net.

myspace is a problem but a better player accessing from another host site can fix the shittinesss, besides from the few times i've bothered to check my page in the last year, that player's been fracking moving each time i reload becuase the damn thing is outta place

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
A song being mastered and being played on myspace doesn't really matter, like G said, the way they compress shit sucks. And what is mastering these days? "MAD EXCESSIVE COMPRESSION TO MAKE YOUR SHIT AS LOUD AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE! lol!

Ah, you do realise compressing a sound file down to MP3 is different from the sort of compression used in mastering, don't you?

I have also found similar problems when playing a track in realplayer.
I can mix it so it sounds nice but as soon as it on realplayer it sounds crap, distorting. I can play the same mp3 on mediaplayer and it sounds fine.
Anyone else notice this?
It normally happens when I mix for high volume.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I have also found similar problems when playing a track in realplayer.
I can mix it so it sounds nice but as soon as it on realplayer it sounds crap, distorting. I can play the same mp3 on mediaplayer and it sounds fine.
Anyone else notice this?
It normally happens when I mix for high volume.

Exactyly! Goes to show that an overall good mix can still sound lousy on computer players and online sites. Online sites don't won't the added bandwidth so they degrade the sound tremendously.

I think it's a good idea to do a separate mix for certain situations. If you're trying to get your music out there do what you have to do make sure it's sounds it's best for that application.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
a crappy converter like myspace will smear the top and bottom of ur tracks.. ur high freq information will be harsh and mushy, and ur bottom will be unfocused and flatter. As with any lo-fi system, tracks with a thick and heavy midrange will sound louder and clearer than one with a silky top and a heavy bottom. Most major label mixes have a pretty strong midrange where as most people who mix their own stuff tend to "scoop" there mixes becuase it "sounds better" on there monitors but when they take it to the car or play it on shitty media speakers it doesnt seem like its hittin as hard. Its all in the midrange. Thats why people still mix on ns-10s and auratones. Because they basically tell u how ur music will sound through "shitty" speakers which is what most people listen to music through. I guarntee if u take out some of the lows and push that midrange a lil bit ur music will sound louder on myspace.

members online