N*gga tried to SON me dog!?!?!? WTF?

LEJENDERY

Da Beast on da Beatz
ill o.g.
I think u made the right decision, but there's gonna be a time when you're gonna have to swallow ya pride in this bizness.. especially if u don't have that buzz yet.. I know cuz I'm the same way.. being that I don't have a name yet, I wld've gave him the beat for free, BUT I wld need a shout out on the track AND be properly credited...that way I get mine in the long run...

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I ain't got no problem swallowing my pride, but dude wanted me to swallow his dick, and come back for seconds and thirds!

Anyway that bridge is burnt to a crisp, no turning back now. And there is a flip side. What happens when I get the rep of being the free beat dude? I build a name but now nobody wants to pay me because dude didn't pay? Word does travel you know, and I'm running in a small circle. Whereas it might be better for me in the long run to turn dude down...

Erica Johnson

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
So I was like this one I'll let you and your niggas rock it for nothing, and I gave him a beat CD and was like if ya'll want to rock some more beats I charge 150 a beat for a lease.

How come you did that?

I promised myself long ago that ain't no one getting anything for free. If it's some goofy melody for a charity event, then maybe . . . LOL Also, my family would get a beat for free. But no one in my immediate family is a serious emcee except my bro' and he would definitely get free beats from me.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
i feel you mp3. My situation got a lil out of hand myself here. I'm tryna link up with dope talented artists to make some really good music in general. I got about 9 artists literally that i'm working with. i'm doin shit for free cuz i'm tryna get good music to make a dope compilation album i can sell of my work. Dug my hole too deep though, cuz now even doing just 2 tracks per artists thats 18 dope songs i gotta come up with.

Long story short... lesson learned and i'm reorganizing how i do things. So you've done the right thing as far as not lettin dude tryna get free shit. I gotta tell my artists i work with that they dont have any say in how many or which beats they are getting if they arent paying for anything.

R

ragemann

i hate niggaz like that cuz the bottom line is cats are gonna make money off some shit u put together and not be willing to give you MONEY back. Fuck exposure all that other shit. Even a major label cat telling you that shit is just trying to shit on you to me. I wouldn't expect to get thousands of bucks the same way a industry cat would get for selling his shit but cut a nigga some bread. 150...and hes moving 5000 units aint a big deal, he could at least be like well i'll give you 50 and the exposure...but break a nigga off something.

However, if he's moving like that let him have a beat if its gonna be a single, and thats about it. If this shit is gonna be an album filler...fuck it.

YoungDecadeZ

ill o.g.
i'd use my solution i use for everything...shake his hand..say its all good...let him use that one track..move it..get business..and when he asked for another track i'd punch him in the eye to get even more of a buzz since he's so big

bobhellbringer

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
that guy sounds like a fucking arrogant ass but you should have just given him one beat for the promotion but make sure he shouts u and shit because u get lots of promo.

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Muufucka used my beat... I felt like splittin his wig dog straight up.

The only thing stopping me from really beefin is the fact that the song ended up on a PCutta/Funk Regulator Ceelo mixtape thats circulating now (track 3 for anybody who got it. I forgot the name of the mixtape I got it at home). But the downside is that Cutta ain't know I was the producer, he ain't find out until the mixtape was done and niggas heard it, so I didn't get a shot out.

I told dude I was like straight up niggas need some kinda compensation. so we worked it out and me and my rapper gettin a track placed on his next mixtape for free, the nigga usually charge $250 for a spot.

I swear though if he had been standing in front of me when I found out I woulda smacked his ass. Lucky I had a day to cool off before I talked to him.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
mp3 said:
So I come across this cat, he got his mixtape series bubblin, moving like 5000 units or more every time out, etc. etc. Actually he heard one of my beats, loved the shit, and wanted to get it on his mixtape. So I get at him, start building, tryna get me some work. So I was like this one I'll let you and your niggas rock it for nothing, and I gave him a beat CD and was like if ya'll want to rock some more beats I charge 150 a beat for a lease. I could tell his whole attitude flipped when I said that.

So the next day I get back at him like yo whats good did you listen to the CD. And he was like yyyeeah buuuutttt... i ain't really hear nothing that was worth a hun fitty blah blah, me and my niggas is all producers and we not tryna pay for beats, but if you get on our shit you'll get buzz etc etc if niggas ask about your beat I'll pass them to you and so on. (so I'm thinking to myself if ya'll producers what the hell you salivating over my beats for??? I know it ain't no love shit or tryna help a nigga out shit, so it must be that ya'll ain't got heat and I do. but I ain't say it). So I'm like well let me sit on that for a minute and I'll get back to you tomorrow, because he was like niggas is lovin your beats, even my nigga that do club beats wanted to rock your club beats but we not tryna pay and if they free we gonna rock more than a few of them.

And he went off on some shit like when he started out he had to pay niggas to get on his mixtape, and industry cats ain't wanna host his shit, and now niggas gotta pay him to get on his shit blah blah blah. Basically just straight up sonnin my grind... Basically he was saying that since I ain't got no name yet, my beats is hot only if they free, if they ain't free thay ain't hot.

So last night I got at him like you know what dude, as much as I wanna get down, if I do, I would be disrespecting my own grind. So the beat I said you could rock at first, that offer is off the table, and ya'll niggas gotta pay 150 just like everybody else.

I really wanted to get on his project because I know he's gonna move it, but I wasn't gonna, let him son me, and basically son myself at the same time, to do it. What ya'll think? Did I do the right thing by turning down that opportunity?

Yeah man I just really read this and ya know, it's crazy, I mean this is all over the place but I see you are in my neck of the woods, there are tons of rappers out here and tons that will jack your shit or not want to pay for your time especially if you give them something that is expressly "promo" they will throw that shit on a mixtape in a heartbeat, I have a small few camps that I let them have joints for free and to assist me in promo only they might get some buzz in the local or whatever so I am ok with that....but in your case its the first time sort of colliding with them and you gave them the opportunity do the promo thing and let them know you selling your work and not giving it away.....its grimey like that and let me tell you something else too dawg, I have been grinding out here for a long minute and trust me I get cats that give me other producers CD's or beat snippet cd's with enuff of a loop they want all the time and they go...hey can you remake this or that etc and that sort of thing so I have to imagine its prevalent especially like I said you in my area and this story is just all too familiar for me.......not that I am the only grinder out here, but I am a whole lot deeper in the water dealing with indies and mixtape ish out here and don seen just about every approach along with some of the other producers I work with in the area, be careful, know your price and also know when someone is about to deal you some BS...main thing though is to know how to deal, be shrewd yet dont burn the wrong bridges cause sometimes you might actually run into these same cats dealing with a different crew or even worse or better depending on how you look at it they might actually get a deal at some point.

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
Yeah man I just really read this and ya know, it's crazy, I mean this is all over the place but I see you are in my neck of the woods, there are tons of rappers out here and tons that will jack your shit or not want to pay for your time especially if you give them something that is expressly "promo" they will throw that shit on a mixtape in a heartbeat, I have a small few camps that I let them have joints for free and to assist me in promo only they might get some buzz in the local or whatever so I am ok with that....but in your case its the first time sort of colliding with them and you gave them the opportunity do the promo thing and let them know you selling your work and not giving it away.....its grimey like that and let me tell you something else too dawg, I have been grinding out here for a long minute and trust me I get cats that give me other producers CD's or beat snippet cd's with enuff of a loop they want all the time and they go...hey can you remake this or that etc and that sort of thing so I have to imagine its prevalent especially like I said you in my area and this story is just all too familiar for me.......not that I am the only grinder out here, but I am a whole lot deeper in the water dealing with indies and mixtape ish out here and don seen just about every approach along with some of the other producers I work with in the area, be careful, know your price and also know when someone is about to deal you some BS...main thing though is to know how to deal, be shrewd yet dont burn the wrong bridges cause sometimes you might actually run into these same cats dealing with a different crew or even worse or better depending on how you look at it they might actually get a deal at some point.

good looks on the advice dog. yeah I thought that bridge was burnt but its funny that the worst thing that could happen did happen and the bridge got rebuilt lol... (read my last message on page 2)

I defn't learnt my lesson though off the whole shit, and I am really seein how the game is played cause I really just got on the grind a year ago.

exel

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
mp3 said:
Nah its not but I ain't droppin no names I don't even wanna take it there.

Im sayin I have that mixtape and you said it was track 3 but track 3 is Mr Me Too by the clipse and pharrel

exel

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
oh aight so the emcee aint the one who used your beat? it was the dude who put out the mixtape? im confused

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
mp3 said:
I got you, its illinoise rappin (track 4 my bad) but that ain't the cat I was dealin with. I thought you were askin who was the cat I was dealin with
Wow, I was just in a studio session with Illinoise, about a week ago on the late night, he actually from NY...but wow thats crazy, I dont have that mixtape on me, you got the song somewhere???

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
exel said:
oh aight so the emcee aint the one who used your beat? it was the dude who put out the mixtape? im confused

nah them niggas (illinoise and the cat I gave the beat to) run together but illinoise didn't know who's beat it was. the only person who knew it was my beat was the nigga I gave it to. After I gave it to him back in may (for free...) I said here's some more beats but I charge 150. He called back and said they're not worth 150 but him and his guys (illinoise is one of them) would use them if they were free. So i said well my shit is only hot if its free??? Fuck you and you can't use the one I gave you for free either. So he went ahead and gave the beat to illinoise without my permission and illinoise recorded the track. he submitted the finished track to cutta along with some of their other tracks and that track made the mixtape.

So basically illinoise didn't know it was my beat, cutta didn't know it was my beat, nobody knew it was my beat, except for dude that I originally gave it to, until after the mixtape came out.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
mp3 said:
nah them niggas (illinoise and the cat I gave the beat to) run together but illinoise didn't know who's beat it was. the only person who knew it was my beat was the nigga I gave it to. After I gave it to him back in may (for free...) I said here's some more beats but I charge 150. He called back and said they're not worth 150 but him and his guys (illinoise is one of them) would use them if they were free. So i said well my shit is only hot if its free??? Fuck you and you can't use the one I gave you for free either. So he went ahead and gave the beat to illinoise without my permission and illinoise recorded the track. he submitted the finished track to cutta along with some of their other tracks and that track made the mixtape.

So basically illinoise didn't know it was my beat, cutta didn't know it was my beat, nobody knew it was my beat, except for dude that I originally gave it to, until after the mixtape came out.
Wow, so who got production credit for the track on the mixtape then???

members online