NAS & ILL WILL RECORDS TO SIGN CANIBUS!!!

nasir jones

The Perfectionist!!
ill o.g.
REMEMBER 1997? When a pulsating star named Canibus blazed every guest appearance, went up against the self-proclaimed greatest of all time LL Cool J and rocked the Smokin' Grooves tour. Then as brightly as he shone he disappeared into obscurity after disappointing album sales and a falling out with manager Wyclef Jean. Although he has released several underground albums to some critical acclaim the man nicked named Rip the Jacker has remained off the radar.

Flash forward to 2004. Brace yourself hip-hop purists. Lyrical heavy weight Nas and his Ill Will Records imprint are in negotiations to sign Canibus.

"I've always respected Nas. He's kept it real so long. I remember in '94, ‘Illmatic’ was like my Bible. ‘Stillmatic’ was dope too. To work with him personally would be a dream come true" - Canibus

Ill Will Record's last release, the Braveheart's ill-fated "Bravehearted", was a major blow for the label both in credibility and in sales.

"Yeah, we lost a lot of money with that. [Nas's brother] in the group so it's all love. But Ill Will needs a major star other than Nas to make it shine. We believe Canibus is that star" - Sean Melvin (Ill Will A&R)

Although Nas could not be reached for comment sources close to the rapper say he is excited to begin recording with Canibus. If the deal goes through Canibus' sixth studio album "Cerberus" will come out on Ill Will Records this fall.

SOURCE: Much Music News

T

The Bastard

Thats Ill I Always Been Down Wit Canibus,HES ONE OF THE MOST UNDERATED AND SLEPT ON ARTISTS

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Uh oh...the thing is how long will they be able to stand working with his personality....I have heard from, Evil D, Memphis and two other industry producers that he is one of the hardest individuals to work on a project with....this has a lot to do with why deals go sour and projects don't turn out to be the best.....maybe the military has possibly changed his attitude.....but at any length he is definitely one of the best MC's ever if you ask me...but if this project goes off it might just become a classic....it's hard to find an MC like Cannibus who had a natural talent to Rip tha mic....theres lots of hot MC's out now that I would not necessarily give them the natural categorization....more learned than anything....LOL

ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
...I have heard from, Evil D, Memphis and two other industry producers that he is one of the hardest individuals to work on a project with...

Did they say why he's so hard to work with? Is it cuz he's lazy or somethin?

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Canibus is a great rapper but he can't make a song ...He's a freestyle king but when it comes to making a song 3 vers. and a hook he can't do that...As for nas He is one of the all time greatsand should help canibus with song structure but nas is also a bad business man

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
helix said:
Did they say why he's so hard to work with? Is it cuz he's lazy or somethin?
No not becuz he's lazy but from what I hear he is an A-hole...Evil D said he pretty much threw his money back at Cannibus and got the F outta there....and others on the panel I went to were reluctant but soon agreed when the question was asked, who is the most difficult MC they ever worked with......soon as his (Cannibus) name was mentioned you could see the agreeing nods around the panel....LOL and then some verbally said they agreed the he was a tuff character in the studio....

B

Boom Jinx

I't looks like Ill Will Records is trynna do do a Eminem when he signed 50 cent to shady records after no one would sign for the shit he pulled. I think that their making a big mistake but lets c whats gonna go down.

AHXBEATS

AHXIMUS PRIME
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Well, since Jay z left the game.. I'm pretty sure Nas next album will blow. There's only a few heads left right now. I've alway been a canibus fan, I think he just needs the right team on his side. Plus hip hop is all abbout marketing, if your seen everywhere then you'll sell records. look at MTV, after every show they play that little box during the credits, with the same video over and over after every show. They know how to make people like music, If you hear it long enough you'll eventually start to like it, most people anyway. Plus a lot of people are followers, if MTV and BET say it's hot, then they will instantlly follow along. So Canibus would need to be marketed really well. See the game turned into a simple mother goose rapping comptition. Canibus is to lyrical to ever really blow up. Plus he's too political, and people don't wanna here that shit right now. They just want party music. So for him to shine, he'd have to get on some party shit with nas. One or two hot joints will do it nowadays. Then he could make the rest of the album anyway he wants too. Personally I don't see anything big coming out of this project.

X-RAY
"aka"
Jewel Avenue OX

mArkoFdAbEaTz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
canibus is a lyrical beast but the people who actually buy records aint going to cop his shit cause hes too fuckin nice for them to even understand whats hot.. they rather go and cop typsy and all than other sugary bullshit.. thats why i think ill will records is gonna lose some more money if they sign him.. its good for the purist but it aint for business..

T

The Bastard

Boom Jinx said:
I't looks like Ill Will Records is trynna do do a Eminem when he signed 50 cent to shady records after no one would sign for the shit he pulled. I think that their making a big mistake but lets c whats gonna go down.

nah dude canibus has skill, 50 cent?

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
I wish him the best of luck. Did you hear that "Rip the Jacker" album? Once he got Stoupe making beats for him, his shit sounded a lot better. And he is definately improving his songs to be more that just battle tracks...

D-RICH

ill o.g.
Marketing strategies are definitely key in getting an artist out and records sold...but u still have to have product....we all know that caanibus is a great lyricist...and production he has for the most part is decent....but all these elements have to match...into building songs if they are gonna really try and build back their business from this...it maybe a good move....but overall song compositions.....after recording has to be tight

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
this wont work if they do the mtv angle. they need to marlket him to his fan base- the underground. he wont break mainstream. 50 cent was different...... he had a marketable persona and a PROVEN team behind him. nas may be great at his craft, but he hasnt exactly shown the greatest ear for talent or an ability to market an artist.

good team, i say, but this will all depend on the angle. i highly doubt cannibus can break mainstream- or underground to be honest. the othe problem is, it will likely be heavily bootlegged and he wont be able to sale more than 200,000 copies. thats if he's lucky. but they could still turn a profit because they can promote him in so many ways and he is the type of artist wher eword of mout alone will generate inrterest.

def1nition

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah Cannibus is one of the best lyrically but he's not gonna be able to sell to the mainstream he just won't sound right over a club track. Plus Canibus is horrible at choosing tracks. He said in an interview he'll rhyme over anything and he can't tell whether a beat is hot or not. Somebody needs to put his songs together for him and just let him rhyme.

luxx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
unown said it best. cannibus is a beast but he is not gonna make an album that appeals 2 the mass' unless he comprimises his style and his content and then he will probably sound wak as hell. his time has passed there is no place in the commercial game left for a grimey soundin lyrical genious

members online