nas - new york state of mind

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
anybody know of any tracks to get drum sounds simaler to this?

i've been listen to breaks all day and cant find any that sound at all simaler.

i kno layering and all that but i am just tryin to find something to start at.

C

Copenhagen

Well, you can look for Joe Chamber's "Mind Rain", which was sampled in that song. Perhaps also look for Kool & The Gang's "N.T.", Clyde McPhatter's "Mixed Up Cup", Whatnauts' "Why Can't People Be Colors Too?", Clarke Stanley's "Slow Dance" and Power of Zeus' "Sorcerer of Isis", as these are other drum samples featured on Illmatic that carry some of the same style.
Otherwise, I would just listen to other Primo productions from the same time, and see if you can jack some pure drums...that's if you not going to layer and eq or compress your own drums to make them sound similar.

Hope I helped a little.

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
i jus dont see the idea of spendin hours n hours fuckin wit drums jus to get the sounds that are already available on some other song. i want those drums as a startin point for an idea i got nah mean?

good lookin out.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
No offense

but i think sitting down and figuring out a sound is the most imporant process . U have to EQ your drums and other sounds to get them to fit u.. You have to spend hours getting the right kick on snar. or any other sound for that matter. You cant just expect to get"timberland" , "neptune" or "Dre "drums out of thin air. You gotta work for your sound whatever it may be. your not gonna be able to find it out the box. Thats what seperates the masses from the elites.

class...

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
classic said:
No offense

but i think sitting down and figuring out a sound is the most imporant process . U have to EQ your drums and other sounds to get them to fit u.. You have to spend hours getting the right kick on snar. or any other sound for that matter. You cant just expect to get"timberland" , "neptune" or "Dre "drums out of thin air. You gotta work for your sound whatever it may be. your not gonna be able to find it out the box. Thats what seperates the masses from the elites.

class...

but what if those drums where jus chopped from a break? who says that they were tweaked to hell and back. they probably were but maybe they were not

its ignorant to say 100% they were unless you were actually there when it all went down

and im not trying to start a war here im just stating what i feel on what you said.

and as far as the 3 names you dropped i def dont want those styles.

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Most hard drums you hear are eq'd to perfection... Not all but most... Dre for example eq's the shit out of his drums... He said in an interview that he used the same kick on a cd for like 5 or 6 songs and you would never be able to tell because of the eq (this was in the latest Scratch magazine).. Eqing makes that much of a difference (and compression)... So i would suggest you take what u got or sample some shits and eq/compress them joints to how u like them, you won't be disapointed...

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
PROs and CONs
EQ is the Key, I have been experimenting with EQ big time especially on snares....these are old skool concepts for hip hop music so the groundwork has been laid awhile back about how to do it.....I hate flat drumz....most kits will give you that......anyone with drumz that you like usually have been sampled from vinyl or some other source like live studio drums....then fugged with for hours......I refuse to use my triton drums or any synthetic drums......even though you can mess with those kits and get good results.....also the thing about a perfect sounding snare, kick or bass or any sample from an old record is this....
A REAL ENGINEER spent countless hours getting everything right in a million dollar studio back in the day...
ok you say so what

Well you get to benefit from this mans engineering skills by sampling it...
1. its full and thick
2. it will make your beat sound much better
3. you can say fuck buying a sound kit unless its one that someone else went and got all of the sounds for you.....

but the drawback it is the countless hours you will spend looking for the samples....but sometimes you don't have to even EQ or Compress them...its done for you if you know how to sample...