Need help acoustic treatment

Ghostnote

Producer
Battle Points: 52
Hey guys, can't decide which version of my room arrangement is better for the room acoustics

version1:
version2:

I personally think that version 1 is more effective because of the window that lets the bass of the studio monitors go through, so the window acts like a free bass trap, I also think that it is more important to treat the rear wall with acoustic panels since its not possible to treat my window with acoustic panels if I choose version 2, pls correct me if I'm wrong

the layout is dependent on speaker placement too, what you are looking for when treating a room is where the reflections of the waves will take place, which is dependent on seating position and speaker position. The seating position wants to be an equilateral triangle point from one monitor(speaker) to the other, to the seat. Monitors want to be at ear height. Glass will reflect higher frequency waves right back at you and if you can avoid that then do. Sound treatment can be achieved using absorption and diffusion of the waves. Effective absorption can be achieved with a rectangular pine frame, filled with old towels and covered in an acoustically transparent cloth of any color you choose. They can be more effective than the acoustic tiles. They should be placed on the walls at the point where by holding a mirror on the wall and from the seating position when you see the speaker in the mirror, thats where the panel goes(the reflection point). Its the same for recording mic placement, you want the mic placed where the reflections are absorbed by the panels. The other part of sound treatment is diffusion, which usually goes on the ceiling. Diffusion basically reflects the wave back but the timing of the reflection is "diffused" by being reflected in different directions at different times due to the shape of the diffusers. Acoustic Diffusion Wiki
Finally you want to deal with the bass traps in the corners of the room

I would go with the one where the window is behind the computer(version 1) and the monitors I would place either side of the window.
I would treat the back wall for reflections, and the wall at the bottom of the picture id place an absorption panel, and the corners with bass traps. I would do that then see if I needed diffusion

You are on the right track, the window would be hard to treat and reflects like a motherfucker.
I angled the window between recording booth and engineering room to try and tackle the problem at our studio.
There isnt much else you can do with glass.

That is a small room though, Id wonder if bass waves even have room to fully form in such a small space. Maybe the room is bigger than it looks, thats a big old bed in there

Last edited:

Ghostnote

Producer
Battle Points: 52
I have to go out, but later, if I can remember, I will go over version 1 in photoshop to show you where id place the monitors and absorption panels, I wonder if one might end up being on the door, or half on the door and half on the wall, which would be awkward
Thank you for your answer, really helpful!! It would be very nice if you could lay out your idea in photoshop for me

sorry for the delay been a bit busy, will try to get this done today.
ps 30 cm should be fine, Im thinking the speakers might be better placed in front of the window, instead of either side, to make the distance between the speakers and your seating position a bit nearer the desk. As the distance between the speakers should be the same distance from each speaker to your seating position.

members online