Need Help/Advice

JustRipe

Analog Architect
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 75
Im facing my first real jump into something with music, im in a beat battle on the 10th at a club by where i live with a bunch of local producers, nothing serious but its my first time showing my work really and having "the people" listen and judge i guess... anyways i know i lack very much with my mixing skills, if u could even call them skills more like lack there of... i was wondering if there is any quick way to sortof tighten up my beats mix by throwing some sort of eq on the master i mean i dont really have time to go in a nd really tighten stuff up and theres only a few days left before the battle.... if anyone can give me any advice or help it would be much appreciated... peace

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Keeping simple but most effective...If you have an analyzer...find a Professionally Mixed and Mastered song with the same 'feel' as yours, preferably an instrumental and play it through your analyzer. Look at the basic shape of the song, the way the wave is high on the left (thats the bass), it should start to dip a little towards the middle (thats the mids) and then slightly go back up on the right side (thats the highs). Mimic that basic shape with your beat using your EQ. *Be sure to route the EQ in front of the analyzer - as in - your music goes into the EQ then into the analyzer.

Last and extremely important, be sure to cut off anything below 40 to 30 Hz using a filter. Do the same with anything above 20kHz. The reason for this is because your beat will probably be played pretty loud. Anything below 30Hz and above 20kHz will sound like GARBAGE and will stick out like a sore thumb.

Recap:
1. Use an analyzer to compare your beat with a professionally mastered instrumental.
2. Making sure your EQ is in front of the analyzer, shape your beat as close as possible to the Pro Mastered beat using a EQ.
3. Cutoff ALL freqs. below 40-30Hz and above 20kHz.

Note: Be sure your EQ is bypassed when your listening to the Pro Track and looking at it's shape.

JustRipe

Analog Architect
ill o.g.
Keeping simple but most effective...If you have an analyzer...find a Professionally Mixed and Mastered song with the same 'feel' as yours, preferably an instrumental and play it through your analyzer. Look at the basic shape of the song, the way the wave is high on the left (thats the bass), it should start to dip a little towards the middle (thats the mids) and then slightly go back up on the right side (thats the highs). Mimic that basic shape with your beat using your EQ. *Be sure to route the EQ in front of the analyzer - as in - your music goes into the EQ then into the analyzer.

Last and extremely important, be sure to cut off anything below 40 to 30 Hz using a filter. Do the same with anything above 20kHz. The reason for this is because your beat will probably be played pretty loud. Anything below 30Hz and above 20kHz will sound like GARBAGE and will stick out like a sore thumb.

Recap:
1. Use an analyzer to compare your beat with a professionally mastered instrumental.
2. Making sure your EQ is in front of the analyzer, shape your beat as close as possible to the Pro Mastered beat using a EQ.
3. Cutoff ALL freqs. below 40-30Hz and above 20kHz.

Note: Be sure your EQ is bypassed when your listening to the Pro Track and looking at it's shape.

i dont have an analyzer andymore, but on that parametric EQ 2 it shows the shape somewhat, not like an analyzer but better then nothing..... could that work? and how do i find the low frequencies? how do i "cut" them out? also hit me up on fb when u get a chance i have a specific question about mixing something and how to get a certain effect i cant seem to recreate.. thanks dac this is guna help me at least not sound like poo when played loud..

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Just get it to sound decent enough where you can hear everything....then throw a maximizer on it....

Most of my beat battle tracks aren't really mixed...they have a very very very light mix..then a maximizer....

JustRipe

Analog Architect
ill o.g.
Just get it to sound decent enough where you can hear everything....then throw a maximizer on it....

Most of my beat battle tracks aren't really mixed...they have a very very very light mix..then a maximizer....

i got it soundin pretty clear but i have FL 7 and theres no maximizer plug in. what i did after i got it sounding decent was threw a parametric eq2 on it and brought up the lows and highs so kinda define each side a little more, all i know is theyre guna be played loud and i know, loud + bad mix = poop. lol

members online