Need "HELP" Choosing My Next Synth Purchase....

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Alright guys, this summer im saving up for my next synth/rack/keyboard.

Currently I have:

Moitf Rack
Roland JV 1010
88 es Keystation by M audio.

I was thinking about getting a triton rack or Triton Xtreme keyboard - becuase I dont have a korg and i love the synths on tritons - just a personal thing.

But im not sure if i should get that FIRST.

My friend told me about SE-1 and ATC ANALOG synths - which run 600-900 on ebay - and he says they are better than digital synths - Such as Nords, MS, Virus.

But i dunno how much better - and really dont know if there i smuch difference....besides technical...

I do know - i like lil jons synth Expressions...not his sound..but how they come out...especially on that lean back remix...maybe thats part of the mixing process - i dont know ? but it had a great presence..

So i was looking for a synth that lets me create sounds like that as well.

I also use Reason 3 - and its digital - so im asking...would it be a waste to invest into a Virus B or Nord Lead - since they are digital as well

Overall - im asking - considering what I already have - what should Get next ?

Triton or Other Rack (Thinking about upgrading JV to 5080 or XR)
Digital Analog Synth - Virus, Nord, Ion, Etc
Or REAL Analog Synth - Se-1, ATC, Omega 2, Moogs, Andromedia 6, etc

Let me know.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
check for a used emu xtreme lead.

access virus is good, but if you want korg synths... a tr rack with the moss board would be an extremely powerful synth for a value price, maybe $350 for the rack and $300 for the moss.

actually, you can just expand the motif with the virtual analog board and fm synth board,which gives you VA on one board and FM synthesis on the other. personally i would say go that route.

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Cold Truth said:
check for a used emu xtreme lead.

access virus is good, but if you want korg synths... a tr rack with the moss board would be an extremely powerful synth for a value price, maybe $350 for the rack and $300 for the moss.

actually, you can just expand the motif with the virtual analog board and fm synth board,which gives you VA on one board and FM synthesis on the other. personally i would say go that route.

That makes alot of sense -

but that AN board is limited compare to the ATC or JP8080...so i might just get that FM board and the Acoustic one.

still debating on the better VA synth - and if i should upgrade my JV1010 to an XV5050/80

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i myself seeing you already have the motif and JV 1010 would probably get one or two good monophonic analog synths for bass and leads. Spectral Audio Neptunes are definitely sweet and very analog sounding and also go on e-bay for under us $300 (when they're around). There is also the wardolf pulse (less agressive analog sound if you want charachter the neptune is the one) and the akai ax-60 is a very good option.

Imo you already have plenty of romplers and va's and can achieve alot of those sorts of tones already with programming if you really want something else i'd get a coupla analog synths

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^ alright imma try this ATC-1 out and see what happens...

as far as the virus ? should i get that later or is reason and such enough ?

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
well "enough" is up to you. i personally just got the Es Rack and i am using the voice editor in my pc which basically turns it into a VST- i have never edited a hardware synth this way and its far easier and more powerful then i ever thought.

i can use four basic waveforms per patch, each with its on oscilator, filter, lfo, pan settings, etc. each patch has a pair of insert effects PLUS dedicated system chorus and reverb- thats four effects per patch. this gives me a LOT to work with, a lot of possibilities. bear in mind i have acoustic waveforms to work with here as well as your usual synth waveforms, thus i have a larger set of building blocks (well over a thousand wave forms, drums included) to work with the then a regular synth would offer me. just imagine what i will be able to do when i get the va chip. i also get the ease and intuitive nature of a vst using a powerful hardware synth.

i was thinking and salivating about getting a v synth down the road but there is so much power available to me in the es rack i cant see why i would need anything else anytime in the next few years- outside of adding the synth cards.

just something to ponder, but you could get a lot of mileage out of your mo rack if you put some work in on it- it is much more then just a rompler. the problem is people treat them as such and thus they never get full use out of it, and go off buying other things when they can get so much more out of what they have...

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^ Yeah the voice editor on mine has me stuck - and it takes forever to load.

It doesnt quite look like a VST on the classic - its quite - weird.

I know if i got the FM and AN expansions - which i will in the FALL - it has the VST joints for those - and i will have alot of fun editing....thats gonna be my VA synth - the expansions

my analog - is gonna me that Omega 2 - next year/christmast maybe.

For now - im just like you said - taking my motif to the max - and tweaking reason.

Thanks for your ideas tho - it cleared me up a bit.

and do you know if the ES and Classic Voice Editors are the same ?

if so - can you point me in the right direction as far as learning it / Using it to make sounds....cuz when i was able to do it..it was only FX that i seen - the same ones you see when u just use the LCD to do it...neither of which offer me much different then what i can do after the sound im editing is recorded to PC.

Explain this to me if possible - thanks

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
um all i know is that on th es rack, its a full blown editor... i can select up to four wave forms, and edit each individually with its on lfo, filter, eq, etc, and then i have the two sets of effects- master and insert. i dont know about the classic rack- you should ask on www.motifator.com they will give you bvetter info then i could on that.