New beat battle?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I need your opinions on this.

Right now we have:
  • Attack of the Beats (radio show, mostly weekly)
  • Beat This! Competition (bi-weekly)
  • Warzone (monthly)
  • Battle That! (yearly)
There are times when the Beat This and Warzone clash into each other and end up being close together (but that's okay). The issue is that sometimes there's nothing in a week between two Beat This competitions. I was thinking of maybe having something else to fill that void so that each week there's something happening.

We could do another Beat This but I thought, why not have something new to change things up?

I have a few ideas but nothing concrete yet. I was thinking it could be something straightforward like Beat This.

What do you all think? Give me your input!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
You're putting too much on your plate @Fade...How many beats do you still have to go thru for AOTBs...focus homie lol
I know what you're saying but AOTB is a different thing, at least with the beat battles it's straightforward. But I hear ya. It's just I notice there's much more activity during the battles so I figure that's what everyone wants.

Weekly acapella remixes sounds like a good idea, but if you make it as a battle not like sample flip.
Or, you pick two members each week at random and they do a battle, one or a few rounds. Winner gets special points or something. Or a one month access to N.O.B.
Only problem is that not everyone could respond to a battle if they're picked random out of the blue. Hence the goody goody's from you ;)

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I like these ideas, however I want to keep it as simple as possible for me to do each time. So for example, the sample flip is good because it's easy and it's a way for everyone to get better.

On the other hand, it involves sampling which I know not everyone is into.

What do you think?

ChuckWillYums

Battle Points: 17
I like these ideas, however I want to keep it as simple as possible for me to do each time. So for example, the sample flip is good because it's easy and it's a way for everyone to get better.

On the other hand, it involves sampling which I know not everyone is into.

What do you think?

I'm sure there would still be more than enough people willing to participate. I also think that if you gave more sampling options that would help those who have a hard time flipping certain songs. Almost like mass appeals rhythm roulette. Post 3 songs and have everyone choose to either sample 1 or all 3. But they would have to choose 1 song to be the main sound of the beat so that we could tell where the sample is from just to confirm that the challenge has actually been done.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I'm all about samples, but sometimes man, you give the weirdest flips lol
Weird? Which ones?
I'm sure there would still be more than enough people willing to participate. I also think that if you gave more sampling options that would help those who have a hard time flipping certain songs. Almost like mass appeals rhythm roulette. Post 3 songs and have everyone choose to either sample 1 or all 3. But they would have to choose 1 song to be the main sound of the beat so that we could tell where the sample is from just to confirm that the challenge has actually been done.
Yeah that's a good idea but like you said, one of them has to be prominent otherwise it would be hard to hear it.

TriKRaps

Whats life without hip-hop?
Battle Points: 4
make the sample flip battles a thing but this time with a twist, make it a monthly competition and every year release a mixtape with the 12 winner beats i think that will make illmuzik more of a community not just a forum. And also it will bring new people to it.

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 815
So lets say you choose to use the Sample Flip thread as a battle... Will the thread still exist for those that don't want to compete?

I had envisioned a "not so serious" battle where nothing really changes with the thread, now just a winner is chosen and points are awarded... I see the Sample Flips as more of an "exercise" to help us all improve on our skills, so I was thinking not to have a set number of contestants, so that way anyone could participate. Who ever posts their beats within a given timeframe would be elidgable to win. Every battle a winner is picked, and depending on how the points would work the number of runners up could vary with each battle. Say there's 20 beats posted within the timeframe... You pick a winner, but you still really like 10 of the beats, so you award all 10 as runners-up, and all 10 get the same amount of points (no 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.) On the next battle only 5 beats entered, you pick a winner, but this time only choose 1 runner-up... Make sense?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
@crog85 that sounds really complicated! If we go with the sample flip battle then yeah of course the regular sample flip thread will still be there for those that don't want to battle.

I'm leaning towards the sample flip thing. So kinda like Beat This but for sample flips. Same type of format would be ideal because it's simpler to do.

The issue I have with members posting their beats in a thread is that the thread can get messy very fast. Look at the Showcase and how it's hard to give feedback once you get to page 2 because there's so many to go through.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I know there would probably be a good amount of members interested in the flip but like I said earlier, I don't want non-sampling people to be turned off either.