New Headphones ! / mixing question :D

Crispifier

The Real SlimSpaceship
Battle Points: 15
so just got new headphones beyerdynamic (dt 770 pro) and dac (fiio k3) am kind of new to the whole properly mixing side of things hehe so just wondering the DAC has options for bassboost and gainboost honestly it makes stuff sound really good, but should i turn these options off while mixing ? i'm assuming yes ? my ears are total suckers for loud bass but it would probably make me mix wrong or ? i dunno as stated im a real noob at mixing any insight would be appriciated

As @crosstevsky said, mix with bassboost off. Gainboost is required for headphones with higher impedance.
Also as crosstevsky said, once you are happy with your "flat frequency response" mix, then test it with the bass boosted to see if it goes too over the top.

Crispifier

The Real SlimSpaceship
Battle Points: 15
You May pick up this plugin https://www.waves.com/plugins/nx

That should help.

oh cool m8 thx ! if you have any other mixing trick's i'd be really interested! i dont feel i can rely on my musical knowledge all that much in this area its like a totally different skill.... always get the feeling when comparing my stuff to others that mine sounds sorta muddy and not clear enough, would this be a levels problem? or should i start eqing more stuff ? (heheh i am kinda terrible at it i just recently stopped relying on having the limiter on all the time in fl )

Last edited:
oh cool m8 thx ! if you have any other mixing trick's i'd be really interested! i dont feel i can rely on my musical knowledge all that much in this area its like a totally different skill.... always get the feeling when comparing my stuff to others that mine sounds sorta muddy and not clear enough, would this be a levels problem? or should i start eqing more stuff ? (heheh i am kinda terrible at it i just recently stopped relying on having the limiter on all the time in fl )
muddiness is fixed with equing

yeah aware monitors are optimal though i don't have that option finacially at the moment, want to save up and get some nice ones eventually though !
same here, I have the focals at the studio, but until thats all back up and running, should be soon, Im stuck with the headphones for now

TjombaBeats

Mister Miyagi Beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 151
Mixing with headphones is bad but i do it too i don't wanna be trouble with the volume hehehe.. But mixing headphones are very expensive me myself i have a MACKIE headphone. And i do mixing also with headphones whilst knowing its not very good for the mix but i can tell you if you want to mix with headphones make sure bass boost is turned off you want a natural sound out of your headphones so any enhancing isnt good at all for mixing. I have an option on my speakers to lower like the DB bass comming out of the speakers so you can use it for small or big rooms. I got a small room but still set the damn thing on normal because i would get a wrong bass volume out of my speakers while mixing with speakers on.

members online