New ILL Compilations

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It's been a while since we've done a compilation album featuring IllMuzik members, so here we go.

Why?

As always, it's a solid way for everyone that's on the album to get exposure, as well as IllMuzik itself.

How?

I'm not taking signups just yet but this thread is to plan it out with the help of all of you.

There's a few things I'd like to know first from everyone. So if you can answer these questions, it will help us get started on these projects.

Question

I want this to be an ongoing series of compilations, each with a theme. What styles do you think we should do? Trap? Boom Bap? Whatever?

Specifics

The compilations would be for promotion but we could also have it on a site like Bandcamp and charge "name your price". So, if we were to do that, would you be okay with any profits going to IllMuzik? It would be like a donation of sorts.

We could divide up profits amongst everyone on the compilations but that's if it's a big amount of sales. Are you good with that?

I'd like to hear from all of you on this, and let me know any other questions and/or ideas you may have.

In my opinion it's a very interesting idea. :D As far as styles are concerned, I think it should be done in a way you make only boom bap compilation, then only trap compilation and from time to time mixed compilation which would include the best beats from the previous editions. For example you can do some sort of survey to every compilation. People would answer the question "Which beat do you like most?" and the beat with the biggest amount of votes would be distinguished on this mixed compilation. I also think it's a good idea to charge some money for it but the division of profits would make sense only if the amount of sales is enough to do so. That's the way I see it. :)

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
In my opinion it's a very interesting idea. :D As far as styles are concerned, I think it should be done in a way you make only boom bap compilation, then only trap compilation and from time to time mixed compilation which would include the best beats from the previous editions. For example you can do some sort of survey to every compilation. People would answer the question "Which beat do you like most?" and the beat with the biggest amount of votes would be distinguished on this mixed compilation. I also think it's a good idea to charge some money for it but the division of profits would make sense only if the amount of sales is enough to do so. That's the way I see it. :)
Yeah I was thinking that about the themes - one for this style, one for that, etc.

In the past I had a handful of members plus myself that went through submissions, rather than have everyone post their beats (this way no one can pre-hear the songs before the release).

Sole Element

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
I think this is a great idea!! As far as the theme I always like boom bap but I think mixing it up would be a great idea to give it more diversity, and donations to the website would be good as well

KoRz0n4GOD

God made me and I making music
Battle Points: 18
Hah!
1) Great idea :-]
2) i think it should be mixed compilations, some people has own style another reason why mixed is that people(listeners) can find this different style
3) im with all of You but casting voice belong to administrators :-]

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
For those that aren't aware, you can download all our previous mixtapes here.

I think this is a great idea!! As far as the theme I always like boom bap but I think mixing it up would be a great idea to give it more diversity, and donations to the website would be good as well
Do you mean a mix of themes on one compilation? In the past we had 1 theme each.

@Fade But how do you plan to choose beats for it?
In the past I chose a few random members and we all listened to everyone's submissions and picked them.

I think this is a very cool idea. I think you should charge some money to support this site, too. Would be cool to use one style for one album and make a Best Of with different styles later, as @Memento Beats said.
I like that idea of "best of"! Charging on the site in general? Or did you mean something else?

Rodas

I don't even know
Battle Points: 43
How about going even deeper with the themes and making something like a Dilla Tape, West Coast Funk Tape, East Coast Boom Bap, Dirty South, New Wave Trap, etc.

KNTDK

Battle Points: 38
Sounds realy nice idea fellas. My humble opinion on the matter is
1) Select 1 specific theme for every participants to follow
2) As you've already said, select a number of people who their opinion on the theme matters, and have them select the beats
who will make it to the mixtape
3) IF there is any income out of it devide it by 2. 1 for the ILLMuzik and 2 for the guy that will mix all the beats together so there
wont be any ups and downs between each others beats like it happens in beat battles.

**** EDIT: To answer your 1st question too, of course id like this to be a straight sampled boom bap themed compilation but you kno the dynamics of this community better.

I hope all this makes sense sorry for any possible mistakes on the language!

Last edited:

Sole Element

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
@Fade yes a mixed compilation would do good imo! I prefer boom bap all day but however when trap is done right it does sound good. So I think having a mixture of styles would keep the listener interested and could possibly put them on to different avenues of music just as long as it's dope for whatever style makes it on, which is why I think a mixed compilation would work.

KoRz0n4GOD

@Fade yes a mixed compilation would do good imo! I prefer boom bap all day but however when trap is done right it does sound good. So I think having a mixture of styles would keep the listener interested and could possibly put them on to different avenues of music just as long as it's dope for whatever style makes it on, which is why I think a mixed compilation would work.
Yes. That what im talking about. I see a lot of producers here changed their styles to win contest couse more people here like boom bab and this is a reason why. To be a winner here. So in my opiniom it will be hard to pick up diferent styles if members like mostly one style and they will be voting. Maybe quests should choose tracks and them members should give feedback with the mastering, etc. What You, @Fade and of course rest think about?

Yes. That what im talking about. I see a lot of producers here changed their styles to win contest couse more people here like boom bab and this is a reason why. To be a winner here. So in my opiniom it will be hard to pick up diferent styles if members like mostly one style and they will be voting. Maybe quests should choose tracks and them members should give feedback with the mastering, etc. What You, @Fade and of course rest think about?
@KoRz0n4GOD If more people on illmuzik prefer boom bap to trap then why in the previous contest most of the people who ended up in finals used trap beats (including myself ;) ). In my opinion it doesn't matter that much. If the beat is good then genre doesn't make a difference. Besides trap has become a part of hip hop and you can't deny it. Nobody can. It just happened. As I mentioned above mixed compilation only makes sense if you want to make "Best of". Personally I can't picture such situation in which there will be e.g. a beat in DJ Premier style and after that comes 808 mafia type beat. I mean, seriously? It's riddiculous. I would divide it into boom bap compilation and new school compilation.

KoRz0n4GOD

@KoRz0n4GOD If more people on illmuzik prefer boom bap to trap then why in the previous contest most of the people who ended up in finals used trap beats (including myself ;) ). In my opinion it doesn't matter that much. If the beat is good then genre doesn't make a difference. Besides trap has become a part of hip hop and you can't deny it. Nobody can. It just happened. As I mentioned above mixed compilation only makes sense if you want to make "Best of". Personally I can't picture such situation in which there will be e.g. a beat in DJ Premier style and after that comes 808 mafia type beat. I mean, seriously? It's riddiculous. I would divide it into boom bap compilation and new school compilation.
May it happend couse boom bap beat wasnt enought good :-] anyway like i said it was my opinion and whatever. I dont care about tournaments. My point is boom bap rules here. Those things its all matter of a taste. And i do not have any problem with it also with any other kind of rap like trap, If something is good. But taste makes big difference when You voting. So it should be great when people from outside can vote. It giving more posibilities to małe hot mixtape. I also said mixed styles is a great idea. So i dont know why you outdraged? May be becouse i not make myself clear. Sorry about that :-]

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Boom Bap doesn't rule here, not at all. It started out that way but over the years it's changed just like any of the styles have. I don't get why people say that because it's all whatever the members post, that's all. We have plenty of other styles that have dominated battles, plus lots of the beats uploaded here are non-Boom Bap.

Anyway, I think we'll go with a style for each compilation then another one as a mix. I'll post details soon about how it will work.

KoRz0n4GOD

Boom Bap doesn't rule here, not at all. It started out that way but over the years it's changed just like any of the styles have. I don't get why people say that because it's all whatever the members post, that's all. We have plenty of other styles that have dominated battles, plus lots of the beats uploaded here are non-Boom Bap.

Anyway, I think we'll go with a style for each compilation then another one as a mix. I'll post details soon about how it will work.

1) Like i said what i see here is my and my homies observation and opinion, but If more people see it that we see : (like You said „I don't get why people say that..” ) its becouse of some reason.

2) i also think style for each compilation it is building walls or heaping of distribution like, rap is against distribution. Doesnt matter is boom, trap or gangsta. All of them it still RAP.

3) dont take my words political or personally attack on your or enybody It is forum and i giving only my point of view. Like i said in my first message - dosent matter what we say here administrator got last word :-] (and ibis good)

4) that all, i have nothing more to say :-]

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I remember years ago there was more Boom Bap on here but like anything, it's changed with the times. Back then there were no Trap winners really but now I notice it a lot more. Where do you notice it really? Just overall? If that's the case it's not intentional, it's just what members happen to post. I think there's a very good balance in all styles here.

KoRz0n4GOD

It not has to be intentional. It is in a blood and swimming in veins. But this making a very good articles and mood of IllMuzik. Bring people a lot of facts. History etc. Everything I notice here is of course just overall - when I play people work here, when I read comments and articles here. I also notice that people putting splits everywhere they can. Looking back its not the same like "walk this way" if - You know what I mean :-]

If You talking about contests, sometimes something someone can surprise, but mostly everything is going on the same line. Only beat this contest with THEME can give chance to someone who do not making `boom bap trap gangsta I mean same sounds rap'
If You do not what I mean. For example in last warzone battle scorpions wins - congratulations for them :-] they done work. But contests going their own way another thing what I notice here. My homies listen different music types and it was fun when they try to choose favorite sound here. Everyone looked for what he like. (its in blood) I realized what is going on the other sides of monitors during voting hehe -(try to give vote not to members You will see how outcomes how can change) - Like I said I don't care. Whatever

However @Fade we talking here about ILL Compilations for me its sad fact that mixtape will be with theme scheme... Mixing tape should be something unique and also if it going on wider public should give people who will be on it chance to be noticed. No one can be notice if from above he will be putted on scheme.