New MPC Ren software video

saintjoe

Audio Fanatic...
ill o.g.
Soundsforsamplers posted a video of the software....thoughts?

One thing I really dig is the sample layering, been asking NI for that from day one, it's real quick to drag/add samples to a new layer.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It looks really good! How much of that can be done through the controller though?

Sample layering is really important but I do like Maschine's pad layering. Hopefully NI will take some ideas from Akai and use it for future updates.

saintjoe

Audio Fanatic...
ill o.g.
Man I been asking NI to do pad layering like this, or BPM, or GURU/GEIST for a while, I'm sure it will happen. As far as I know you can do most of all of that from the hardware, but much of it I would prefer to do from the big screen anyway, however, mpc users will find it pretty familiar.

It's only 32 bit though, not cool imo.

saintjoe

Audio Fanatic...
ill o.g.
this is sick!! i always luv the mpc i miss it at times
but im gonna stick to my reason6 for now!
wonder though can u just get the program!? or do you need the mpc ren?
so sick!

the hardware is required

This seems very cool, but it is not cool enough to sway me from Maschine. But at least Akai is getting in the 21st century. :)

yeah, definitely about time, we'll see how it develops

MRP

Battle Points: 2
Yeah fam, just wanted to touch base on somthing here and get some views and a better understanding...

I had the chance to go to ADE (Amsterdam Dance Event) in October 2012 (http://www.amsterdam-dance-event.nl/archive/2012/) and, during one of the conference's daytime Playground Sessions and, due to an overrun by I think Abelton, I had a chance to sit down with Andy Mac and a Ren for an hour or so. Needless to say, he is very supportive of the R&D process and, outcome of the decisions that went into the development of this unit (as we see on all the videos by many well known users on the Akai site etc) and rightly so and, to be honest: it seems like something I would procure given the opportunity, keeping my 2000XL handy and nearby of course...

But, what I wanted to understand, was whether any of you have noticed firstly, the sound processing differences between your use of the MPC3000, MPC60 and 2000XL which, would make you choose one over the other and, effectively the same for the swing characteristics... I ask as my discussions with Andy seemed to suggest or allude to the fact that the sound output of the 2000XL is very different and slightly less rounded to the 3000 and that, he would prefer on most occasions to use the 3000 (due to sound processing) over the 2000XL.. I unfortunately didn't get the chance to do any proper clinical type tests during the session to gain a good understanding (and I was in Amsterdam, so, you know...) but yeah, any views on this?

MRP

Oh ok, I didn't know that and many thanks man! That said though and in all honestly, are the output differences, from your experience, noteworthy?

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Well I am a big believer in using the tools you are given to make music. They (2k,60,3000) do sound very different but the workflow even on the 2K is So slooooooow compared to Maschine/REN that I personally am really getting over hardware in general. Also I can emulated that sound with software, it is not 100% the same but it is close enough AND I get the workflow benefits. I sold off my 2kxl a while ago, I have Maschine and Reason as my main programs (I have a ton of software but I try to keep everything REALLY simple) The MPC 60 emulation in Maschine is VERY good, I have not heard the REN emulation of the 60 but I am sure it is pretty good as well. IDK a small soapbox topic is looking backward so much, you know like chasing old sounds instead of making new ones. I LOVE sampling but as of late I have been trying to create something totally new from it all and not get so caught up in classic/boom bap or whatever. Maybe making more of what I really feel or hear in my head rather than what the hip-hop "community" wants. We will see how it goes when my next album comes out ha ha, maybe it will be a total flop. ANYWAY...stepping off my soap box... :)

MRP

Ahh thanks man and yeah, totally agree - when I saw the workflow on the Ren it made me realize how much time I am wasting just setting up! Ill be getting myself down to my local music store soon to spend some more time with one and, try and get to understand the sound differences more! Ill have to try out the Maschine too! :)

members online