NEW on Ill...Tracking out beats??

• beat this! voting starts in...
ill o.g.
Hey, i'm new to illmuzik. just wanted to ask a question. i just recently got into producing music and i've seen people selling beats online "tracked out". what is this exactly? and how is it done? i'm using FL studio right now to create and i'm going to get into recording songs. i'll either use adobe audition or try and learn pro tools. i've always used audition, any input on which would be better to spend the time on learning?

i know tracked out is each instrument is done separately. would that be making an mp3 of each instrument in fl studio? then bringing each one into audition/pro tools and then recording the lyrics in there as well?

thanks,
Josh

myspace.com/jmillermuzik

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Hey Shutter, welcome to the site.
First, you dont want to bounce your tracks to mp3 and then mix compressed audio together which will in turn be more compressed later since this will result in a loss of quality, so make sure to bounce your tracks out at at least 16/44.1 in wav or aiff format.

If your using FL to create your beats, then you will basically need to mute each track or solo the one your bouncing, and do one at a time until all of your tracks have been rendered out.

*I dont use FL but if that program has a batch export for each track I would look into that as well. However, keep in mind that features such as batch exporting usually have their faults as well such as reducing the tracks audio to the raw wave form rather then allowing any processing such as compression, etc. that exists on that track to be rendered with the audio when the tracks are bounced out.

Also, try to make sure and bypass any limiting on the master buss if your tracking out your beat to be mixed later inside your DAW since you will most likely be applying similar processing once again at the master buss once your final mix is done.

As far as which software is better, both are fully capable of providing an applicable environment to mix in, so its really more about what works best for you. Many will argue that PT is the better choice since its the quote unquote industry standard, however both programs are fully capable of offering equivalent results since the final masters quality highly relies on your mixing skills more then anything else.

If it were my own personal decision however I would prob choose ProTools.

ill o.g.
Thanks a lot for the info man. By the way i'm a graphic designer as well. nice work.
check out some of mine:

photography/graphics: myspace.com/aspectinc

beats: myspace.com/jmillermuzik

just started doing music as far as production goes. been rapping/writing music for a few years, but i've been into graphics since like '04.

nice to see another graphic artist on here.
thanks again for the info, i'll try and get pro tools to kind of get on the same level so if i ever get real into producing i can be on the same page as everybody else.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
What Mr Steezo said..

Never use mp3 to mix...you're losing quality with the compressed audio....

If you have the room and resources, bounce in FL to 24Bit....and run it that way...

I do like the plugins better on PT than adobe..but that's personal preference....

But you can mix down in either or...it's all (once again) personal preference...

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Hey, i'm new to illmuzik. just wanted to ask a question. i just recently got into producing music and i've seen people selling beats online "tracked out". what is this exactly? and how is it done? i'm using FL studio right now to create and i'm going to get into recording songs. i'll either use adobe audition or try and learn pro tools. i've always used audition, any input on which would be better to spend the time on learning?

i know tracked out is each instrument is done separately. would that be making an mp3 of each instrument in fl studio? then bringing each one into audition/pro tools and then recording the lyrics in there as well?

thanks,
Josh

myspace.com/jmillermuzik

First of all, if a buyer is asking for the beat to be "tracked out" they intend on mixing it themselves or have someone else mix it so all you're providing is the individual tracks "raw". Meaning no effects, no compression, no limiting, NOTHING. Just get your levels to or just under 0 dB no matter what the instrument is. You want them to have the best quality and highest level WITHOUT GOING INTO THE RED (clipping) as possible. Even if the instrument in your mix would be much lower in volume make sure when they get it that it's at that 0 db or just under (just under to be safe)!

For example: If you used 4 kicks, 3 snares , 2 hi hats and 3 diff't crashes for the drum track ALL SHOULD BE EXPORTED INDIVIDUALLY in order for them to get the best mix. That would be 12 tracks in itself.

If your track is comprised of 30 diff't things then you should have 30 tracked out stems. If it's 70 there should be 70 stems etc etc.

Just remember optimal level (0 db or just under) and no effects or compression!

And make sure whom ever is getting the track has all the intricate details. I.E at what sample rate were the tracks rendered 44k, 96k etc They need that info or the beat will not sound the same. It'll either be slower or faster in speed. What ever they import the tracks into will have to be set up at that sample rate. Also it's very important to start on the 1. Meaning even if you start recording the beat at measure 4 all tracks should be moved to the 1 and then exported so everything will line up properly. And render the full length of the song.............

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
First of all, if a buyer is asking for the beat to be "tracked out" they intend on mixing it themselves or have someone else mix it so all you're providing is the individual tracks "raw". Meaning no effects, no compression, no limiting, NOTHING. Just get your levels to or just under 0 dB no matter what the instrument is. You want them to have the best quality and highest level WITHOUT GOING INTO THE RED (clipping) as possible. Even if the instrument in your mix would be much lower in volume make sure when they get it that it's at that 0 db or just under (just under to be safe)!

For example: If you used 4 kicks, 3 snares , 2 hi hats and 3 diff't crashes for the drum track ALL SHOULD BE EXPORTED INDIVIDUALLY in order for them to get the best mix. That would be 12 tracks in itself.

If your track is comprised of 30 diff't things then you should have 30 tracked out stems. If it's 70 there should be 70 stems etc etc.

Just remember optimal level (0 db or just under) and no effects or compression!

And make sure whom ever is getting the track has all the intricate details. I.E at what sample rate were the tracks rendered 44k, 96k etc They need that info or the beat will not sound the same. It'll either be slower or faster in speed. What ever they import the tracks into will have to be set up at that sample rate. Also it's very important to start on the 1. Meaning even if you start recording the beat at measure 4 all tracks should be moved to the 1 and then exported so everything will line up properly. And render the full length of the song.............

This cat right here just might be on to something...lol. Good advice with explanations! ILL needs more of this.