New sound separation technique on Funky Worm

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
That is awesome, as comic book guy on the Simpsons would say "best first post ever".
You got some Reed Richards sampling techniques going on there, very cool.

I never heard of Photosounder until now, it definitely looks like a fun as hell program, I'd love to take some pictures of my kids and throw them in there to hear what they sound like.

The one thing I don't understand is that photoshop is one image at one moment in time, whereas music is 44100 samples per second, so how can you take a ten second phrase (441 thousand pictures) and edit it in photoshop?

A_SN

ill o.g.
Amazing.....This is way over most heads. What made you decide to do this in this way?

Well, seeing sounds as images really is my big idea because basically when you look at a spectrogram (a sound's image) you really see what the sound is made of, you see what you hear, so my big starting idea was since you can see all you hear, if you can edit what you see visually and turn that back into sound then you open a whole world of possibilities.

That is awesome, as comic book guy on the Simpsons would say "best first post ever".
You got some Reed Richards sampling techniques going on there, very cool.

I never heard of Photosounder until now, it definitely looks like a fun as hell program, I'd love to take some pictures of my kids and throw them in there to hear what they sound like.

The one thing I don't understand is that photoshop is one image at one moment in time, whereas music is 44100 samples per second, so how can you take a ten second phrase (441 thousand pictures) and edit it in photoshop?

Hehe, as for pictures, try mostly dark ones, or make them dark, bright pictures all sound the same :)

In the image time is "mapped" horizontally. Basically if you wanted to conserve a time dimension, then you'd have to make it a 1D animation, i.e. a 1 pixel wide line animated in time, which of course wouldn't be practical. Also, sampling rate isn't very relevant here, because what matters is the intensity of things, i.e. we descriminate the pitch of things (which is represented vertically here) from their intensity, which is represented by brightness. I chose here the arbitrary value of 100 pixels (horizontally) per second, meaning a 10 second sound will produce an image 1,000 pixels wide, and 571 pixels high (9.5 octaves * 60 pixels per octave).

whhatt the fucckk.... Dude you should patent that.... so does any version of photoshop work?

Oh yeah, absolutely any image editing program works with that, you can even try editing (or creating) sounds in MS Paint if you like (I once made a drum loop in MS Paint with the spray tool, but it didn't sound too great).

If you want you can even print out the image, paint over it with a brush and some actually paint, scan the result and listen to what it does. Although you'd need a pretty good printer and scanner to pull it off correctly ;) hehe.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Well, seeing sounds as images really is my big idea because basically when you look at a spectrogram (a sound's image) you really see what the sound is made of, you see what you hear, so my big starting idea was since you can see all you hear, if you can edit what you see visually and turn that back into sound then you open a whole world of possibilities.

Hehe, as for pictures, try mostly dark ones, or make them dark, bright pictures all sound the same :)

In the image time is "mapped" horizontally. Basically if you wanted to conserve a time dimension, then you'd have to make it a 1D animation, i.e. a 1 pixel wide line animated in time, which of course wouldn't be practical. Also, sampling rate isn't very relevant here, because what matters is the intensity of things, i.e. we descriminate the pitch of things (which is represented vertically here) from their intensity, which is represented by brightness. I chose here the arbitrary value of 100 pixels (horizontally) per second, meaning a 10 second sound will produce an image 1,000 pixels wide, and 571 pixels high (9.5 octaves * 60 pixels per octave).

Oh yeah, absolutely any image editing program works with that, you can even try editing (or creating) sounds in MS Paint if you like (I once made a drum loop in MS Paint with the spray tool, but it didn't sound too great).

If you want you can even print out the image, paint over it with a brush and some actually paint, scan the result and listen to what it does. Although you'd need a pretty good printer and scanner to pull it off correctly ;) hehe.

Have you ever seen harbal? It too uses a visual application.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4

Also reminds me of Isotope RX which does noise reduction with visual manipulation. I also think the new version of Melodyne uses a similar technology to isolate parts from a two track recording.

Very cool thread A_SN and BTW, Funky Worm is one of my all time favorite tracks, that is one amazing song...

A_SN

ill o.g.

I had never seen it before, just looked it up. That's quite different, although Photosounder could be used to "steal" another tracks equalisation too. You could open both tracks in Photosounder, export both images, then in Photoshop squeeze both images till they're 1 pixel wide, and blur them vertically to your liking. Then, divide one image with the other (although I don't know of anything that can do that), stretch out the result, multiply it on the image of the track you want to equalize, and load the result in Photosounder in lossless mode.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
I had never seen it before, just looked it up. That's quite different, although Photosounder could be used to "steal" another tracks equalisation too. You could open both tracks in Photosounder, export both images, then in Photoshop squeeze both images till they're 1 pixel wide, and blur them vertically to your liking. Then, divide one image with the other (although I don't know of anything that can do that), stretch out the result, multiply it on the image of the track you want to equalize, and load the result in Photosounder in lossless mode.

I think you just became my new tutor and best buddy.
Do you realize the applications of this?? lol

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
at first i thought it was going to do the same thing as Elevayta's "Extra Boy Pro" but this is alittle more advanced. i wonder how kanye got this exact sound lifted off the record. this is ill

A_SN

ill o.g.
I think you just became my new tutor and best buddy.
Do you realize the applications of this?? lol

I do, that's why I've been working on this whole thing for 4 years! hehe, that actually started off as my second C program ever. I'm glad people at last realise the potential of this thing, maybe at last it'll sell enough so I don't have to go back to applying at burger joints ;-).

at first i thought it was going to do the same thing as Elevayta's "Extra Boy Pro" but this is alittle more advanced. i wonder how kanye got this exact sound lifted off the record. this is ill

"Extra Boy Pro" is to Photosounder+Photoshop as sticking black rectangular stickers onto pictures is to Photoshopping pictures hehe :).

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
I do, that's why I've been working on this whole thing for 4 years! hehe, that actually started off as my second C program ever. I'm glad people at last realise the potential of this thing, maybe at last it'll sell enough so I don't have to go back to applying at burger joints ;-).

" :).

As I am at work I havent even seen the vid yet , but the description alone tells me that burger joints shouldnt be in your future unless your hungry for a burger.

A_SN

ill o.g.
As I am at work I havent even seen the vid yet , but the description alone tells me that burger joints shouldnt be in your future unless your hungry for a burger.

My sale figures beg to differ, unless you mean I could find a better job than flipping burgers, which I probably can, my point being I don't think I'll manage anytime soon to sell enough of that program to make a living ;)

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
My sale figures beg to differ, unless you mean I could find a better job than flipping burgers, which I probably can, my point being I don't think I'll manage anytime soon to sell enough of that program to make a living ;)

How much are you selling it for?

T

The Arkitekt

You realize you will be a millionaire if you get this type of thing out before the well known companies right? lol, good job dude, keep goin for it.

If you patented it already, you should sell a license to a huge company like Wave's or something, have them market it, and get a big percentage of the profits

A_SN

ill o.g.
You realize you will be a millionaire if you get this type of thing out before the well known companies right? lol, good job dude, keep goin for it.

If you patented it already, you should sell a license to a huge company like Wave's or something, have them market it, and get a big percentage of the profits

Millionaire? Right now I'd be happy if I could even get half the minimum wage out of the sales of this thing hehe... although I get unlimited amounts of praise :D. And no I haven't patented it, can't afford it, damn global crisis for making anyone including myself broke!

What would such a company do by the way? Just promote/distribute/sell? Or own the whole thing and tell me what to do?

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Millionaire? Right now I'd be happy if I could even get half the minimum wage out of the sales of this thing hehe... although I get unlimited amounts of praise :D. And no I haven't patented it, can't afford it, damn global crisis for making anyone including myself broke!

What would such a company do by the way? Just promote/distribute/sell? Or own the whole thing and tell me what to do?

A bit/lot of both probably.

But this is awesome and I applaud your work.

members online

No members online now.