nice soft vocals

Helios

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
At the moment I'm working on my first CD, I finished most of my tracks. Now I have to mix and process everything. I'm a really busy person that's why I'm never posting, just reading through your threads.

I compress and eq my vocals so they stand out, I don't want them to go under in the mix.
Yeah I read a lot about processing vocals on the net and bought some books, but I don't like the way the vocals sound after compression and EQ. They really powerful but they sound too harsh.

I don't think it's because of my mic, it's a Rode NTK. Perhaps my mic preamp ( included in my Digi002) is wack. I don't have the money to buy a nice preamp now, believe me I would... something about 800 $ would do the job.

BTW after mixing everything, I gonn pay for the mastering, I don't have the knowledge and the equipment to make a nice mastering. I gonn spend about 500$ on it, believe it's worth the price. I don't like to work off my ass for a nice album and then the mastering is shitty.

A

ACEBEATZ

Helios said:
At the moment I'm working on my first CD, I finished most of my tracks. Now I have to mix and process everything. I'm a really busy person that's why I'm never posting, just reading through your threads.

I compress and eq my vocals so they stand out, I don't want them to go under in the mix.
Yeah I read a lot about processing vocals on the net and bought some books, but I don't like the way the vocals sound after compression and EQ. They really powerful but they sound too harsh.

I don't think it's because of my mic, it's a Rode NTK. Perhaps my mic preamp ( included in my Digi002) is wack. I don't have the money to buy a nice preamp now, believe me I would... something about 800 $ would do the job.

BTW after mixing everything, I gonn pay for the mastering, I don't have the knowledge and the equipment to make a nice mastering. I gonn spend about 500$ on it, believe it's worth the price. I don't like to work off my ass for a nice album and then the mastering is shitty.

Your pre-amps on digi 002 are very uncolored, so they only give the 48v needed to power your microphone. But dont you have a pre-amp with your rode ntk? Its a lamp mic that's supposed to come with one. You gotta nice mic that have a good and not flat response. If you say your vocals are harsh, maybe you over-eq em. Watch out to not boost highs over 10k hz.

Holla Ace

mArkoFdAbEaTz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
my bad for just hoppin in the post like this... but do any of you know any good gate limiter plug ins and would u recommend it for vocals???

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
I am all for this, but alot of people are against it.

The mic is not the problem, and i won't even suggest that the preamp is, although low-end ProTools shite is not that good (Digi01, 02)

Look, what is probably the problem is that they sound too "harsh" because of excessive EQ'ing that is not conducive to the frequency range of the song. Meaning, that the vocal's frequency range does not necessarily correlate with the that of the song soundscape. How big is the frequency band of your vocal? Where do you cutoff on the EQ?

Also, overcompression is a problem, especially when somebody raises the threshold too high. What are the settings on your compressor, and what hardware/software are you using?

Sincerely,
God

A

ACEBEATZ

mArkoFdAbEaTz said:
my bad for just hoppin in the post like this... but do any of you know any good gate limiter plug ins and would u recommend it for vocals???

I dont reccomand you to use a gate for vocals as it is too much a gentle task. It's better to do it manually with silence function. And why use limiter on voice? Limiter is better off used as end effect with compression and Eq. A good compressor on vocal should do a great job.

mArkoFdAbEaTz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ACEBEATZ said:
I dont reccomand you to use a gate for vocals as it is too much a gentle task. It's better to do it manually with silence function. And why use limiter on voice? Limiter is better off used as end effect with compression and Eq. A good compressor on vocal should do a great job.

im not 100% sure but they were telling me that i need that so when im recording vocals everything would stay leveled as far as the main vocal tracks... and sometimes i get a little leaking in the vocal tracks so i figured with a gate i can stop that... any advise??

A

ACEBEATZ

A compressor is the perfect and the always used tool to keep your recording more leveled, that is wut you need to record vocal, no limiter. Call in a music shop, and ask a vocal channel you'll see, the seller will tell you: Pre-amp, comp, eq and de-esser most of the time. Principal processings needed to get a good vocal. A gate is really not good for such natural recording as voice. For a snare or a bass drum its perfect, cuz the wave is always the same, so you can set it right to cut unwanted noises at end or start. But not for vocals.

Holla Ace

mArkoFdAbEaTz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
good looks... im going to look into a compressor, i dont really see a problem with the vocals i record that much but a lot of business i could be getting is basically going to some other cats because they have a dope mic... i heard the results and i still think the stuff im crankin out sound way better then theirs.. but i guess impression is everything.. thanks again