Noob question - mixers

playah

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
So I hear people talking about DJ Mixers and Producer Mixers.

Am I right in thinking that this:

31557_m.jpg

is a Producer mixer.

And this:

5735_m.jpg

Is a DJ Mixer?

Would a Producer mixer be of any use to a software producer? (with midi controllers, mic etc...)

Damn I feel stupid haha.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
lol, yea your pretty much right, although you could argue that you could mix with either and you could produce with either, but basically yes your right !

the mixer isnt gonna be any use for midi but if you've got mics and other external sound sources that you want mixing together then yes a mixer is a worthwhile investment !

djloccdown

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If u have a keyboard or sound module u wanna use in ur beats, u use the mixer 2 connect them, but u also need a soundcard.
U can also go for an Audio Interface if u don't need a mixer. They come in PCI, USB & Firewire, so u can take them wit u, basicly the same thing as a Mixer, but without all those knobs and sliders, and u control the interface from software, perfect for a PC producer.

TheDeen

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If u have a keyboard or sound module u wanna use in ur beats, u use the mixer 2 connect them, but u also need a soundcard.
U can also go for an Audio Interface if u don't need a mixer. They come in PCI, USB & Firewire, so u can take them wit u, basicly the same thing as a Mixer, but without all those knobs and sliders, and u control the interface from software, perfect for a PC producer.

Not really, a mixer outputs a stereo signal, an interface will record the tracks seperately.

djloccdown

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Not really, a mixer outputs a stereo signal, an interface will record the tracks seperately.

Yeh if he only needs a few inputs, then Interface would be more suited, or go with a mixer and learn.
But playah u can buy a mixer, and just connect ur mic 2 mixer, mixer 2 soundcard, MIDI controllers n stuff by USB, thats if they have USB connections.

playah

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Alright, thanks for the response. I dont think I'd need a mixer as I've ordered my Fast Track Pro USB Interface. Maybe when I get that turntable later in the year :p