Noooo! My Hard Drive!!!

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I admit I was a foul and didn't do my backups, but one of my hard drives (not the C drive) crashed in a weird way. Every time I open my computer, it gives out a screeching sound.

And, obviously, it doesn't show on my computer.

Anyone got an idea of what I could do about that... pleaaaaaase!

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Dont do that yet, put the hard drive in the freezer overnight then try again. If you still cant get anything off it then give it a smack. If that is a no go then you are done.

Ya the freezer technique is good too... didnt work for me but who knows.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Another option is popping in a Linux CD like Ubuntu, boot up into the CD. It might see your drive (most likely it will) and then you can dump your stuff from there to another drive.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Note to self: Fade really likes Linux.

daproduct

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
like they said, the freezer technique works alright... sometimes.
if you have no luck with that, and really need the data...
find a facility with a clean space, replace the drive heads, and ensure proper seating of moving parts and bearing.... or hire someone to do that... considering whatever was on the drive was worth the effort anyway

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
find a facility with a clean space, replace the drive heads, and ensure proper seating of moving parts and bearing.... or hire someone to do that... considering whatever was on the drive was worth the effort anyway

you mean a clean room like they have an intel? Because if you try that with a drive it is all but dead already.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
really? what kind of "fowl" were u? an ostrich? maybe a pigeon? perhaps just a "foul" ball? lol

da relic

fool... you know... I speak French
like oui oui, merci beaucoup and all
lol

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Dam, sorry to here Sygma. I cant tell you how many times Ive seen threads pop up like this on ILL, hell it even happened to me around 04/05....

I think best rule of thumb is nothings never really safe in the digital domain until its been backed up at least 3 times. What I like to do nowadays is make hard copies of important stuff when at all possible onto DVDs after Ive already backed everything on my computer to my external FW drive. Im too paranoid these days to loose my shit again. So far so good.

dirtEjerz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I admit I was a foul and didn't do my backups, but one of my hard drives (not the C drive) crashed in a weird way. Every time I open my computer, it gives out a screeching sound.

And, obviously, it doesn't show on my computer.

Anyone got an idea of what I could do about that... pleaaaaaase!

its gone baby.... gone...

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
Well, it's gone!

first some background info that i think is relevant:

i finished up this album like 5 years ago. it was pretty good, but as i listen to it now, i see that it could've been mixed a lot better. so with the knowledge that i've learned in the 5 years since, i decided that i was going to mix the whole album again.

so i pull out the drive with all of my sessions on it. the drive hasn't been plugged into anything in 5 years, so it should still work with no problems right? hell nah! can't be dust either because it was in one of those protective plastic covers that come with the drive (at least it shouldn't be dust). put it in the freezer...nothing. so now i'm pissed off! wait a minute...i backed everything up to DVD...yes!

put in the DVD, and that mf doesn't work either...f#ck! tried 3 different computers....nothing! i knew i shouldn't have used those cheap ass circuit city dvds. oh well, i guess i'll have to just move on and work on a new album.

moral of the story...have a backup plan to the backup plan, to back up the backup plan - Big Boi

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Don't send it!! He's going to bootleg your album!

members online