Nostalgia...Beat Tape for Boom Bap Lovers :D

dBtheProducer

Autism Dad, I Use FL Studio
Battle Points: 89

Definition of Nostalgia is a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.

...when I think back to my most happiest times in my life, I often go back to the same years when wearing snorkel coats and burberry timb's (boots) with the matching du-rag and Yankee Fitted was the shit...lol holy shit im old...

I dedicate this beat tape in memory of Prodigy, one of my most influencial inspirations in my hip hop career...

Nostalgia is what I was aiming for listeners to experience...if you don't really vibe to this that is fine, I will not be offended...

but for those interested in listening to what i've been working on for over a year...then please check this beat tape out and leave your thoughts...whether it be old memories of freestyle battles...of times when you tried to be a dj maybe...anyone ever break dance back in the day?...

PS. this is just a video I made when I was bored, nothing serious but an interesting fact is I made this using a motorola e5 supra (cell phone) $179.99...I work at a cell phone store so yes this is me on the clock doing this shit and yes that is also me eating sunflower seeds in the end lol...and YES this really is where I make my beats and YES this really is my setup that I use and YES this is really me and NO I am not Dj Khaled lol...jk Thanks! and god bless!

csbr

Gardener
Battle Points: 11
Yooo that video is dope.. super creative. Love the little effects and the Nostalgia in the thought bubble you had in two spots... Great video, haven't checked out the tape yet but that song in the video is great.

dBtheProducer

Im really digging that beat you have on the video clip. Have it on repeat. :up2:

thanks man I did all that with a cell phone at work on a really slow day lol...thanks for your comment :D

Yooo that video is dope.. super creative. Love the little effects and the Nostalgia in the thought bubble you had in two spots... Great video, haven't checked out the tape yet but that song in the video is great.

thanks man, its only 1 minute long because I made this for an Instagram post :D

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
@dBtheProducer

My review:

Beat 1:
Sounds like some Rock/Boom Bap. Very dope with the guitar and the kick buildup is on point. The vocal snippets put it over the top.

Beat 2:
Nice Lauren flip. I forgot about that song! I would have liked to hear more of her vocals in it.

Beat 3:
Very soulful. At first I thought the flute was a bit too strong but then when you brought in vocal snippets and piano, etc it made it much better.

Beat 4:
Nice and chill. It can be hard to make a chill beat, especially with drums like that since most of the time the drums are quieter but this one is nice. My only complaint is the bass. I feel it should have been filtered somewhat to blend in better.

Beat 5:
Dope drums on this one. The main sample is hype and very open for an MC.

Beat 6:
Nice intro. Bassline is dope and drum pattern is sick. Piano loop fits nicely. Horns are a nice addition.

Beat 7:
Very eerie. Sounds like some West Coast evil shit. I want to hear Snoop on this.

Beat 8:
Didn't know where you were going with this one but it sounds somewhat experimental. Drums are really good and then everything seems to level out about a minute in. Well done.

Beat 9:
Smooth sample. I couldn't wait for the drums to drop in and they're on point. I really wanted to hear a breakdown with the filtered main sample. Bassline is dope.

Beat 10:

Well mixed. Drums sound like they fit really well and nice reverb on the snare. I liked the strings sound you had but then it was great when you took it out and went back to the guitar licks.

Beat 11:
Good vocal snippet. When I heard the scratching I wanted to hear more! I think this beat definitely needs a nice scratch phrase in there.

Beat 12:
Very 90s feel to it. I wanted to hear a breakdown though. The main sample is dope but a bit repetitive (most vocal type samples get like that, I'm sure you know).

Beat 13:
I'm sure I heard this before. Nice sample, flute, and drums sound good. I was about to ask where the bassline was but then you brought in the real beat! This one I think is the highlight of your beat tape.

Beat 14:
Very head-nodding. Horns are a nice touch and the piano sounds great.

Beat 15:
Another great sample. Drums are really nice on this. I like how the sample has that build up at the end but it really doesn't sound repetitive. I thought it would but no.

Beat 16:
I like how you flipped that piano because I thought you were going to keep it like it was. Strings are nice at the end but I wanted to hear a breakdown with just the strings instead of the piano.

Beat 17:
I didn't know what to expect from this sample from the way it sounded all warped but then you flipped it nicely. Good job on the vocal snippets.

Beat 18:
Nice play on the pitch of the sample. It's great how it really shapes the vibe on the beat. When the bassline comes in, it's golden.

Beat 19:
Dope. I thought you were going to use the sample looped like that but then you completely flipped it. Very nice.

Beat 20:
Piano sounds really good especially when you do the fast keys part. Strings really compliment everything. It all sounds much better with the bassline for sure.

Beat 21:
Drum work is dope and I like how you flipped the sample. The vocals fit really well. It can be hard to fit them in when you have certain samples that sound "busy". Plus the "I'm right here" at the same time as the end sample - really dope.

dBtheProducer

@Fade wow thanks for your review man, I knew if anyone would be able to notice all the details it would be you fam... im kind of speechless as to the result of your review

for beat 8 this was definitely an experiment with the chop work I did and the changing drums

for beat 12 I agree it is repetitive, growing up a rapper the repitive beats were my favorite, it allowed me to have to be more creative and do more things with my voice besides just rapping, this is nostalgia so I wanted it to feel old like how beats were made back then

side note... this beat has a lot of sentimental value to me, I mentioned earlier about prodigy's death sparking inspiration to this whole project, well this was the beat I was working on the day he died...and when I heard he had died I then decided to make this tape, so this beat started the whole entire thing, and it even sounds like an old prodigy or mob deep song so I left it the way it was in memory of that day and of that moment, crazy but true

I love all your comments dude because your experiencing all the little change ups and flips the way I wanted listeners to, im just happy that it worked out that way lol...I didn't want any 2 beats to sound the same, I was trying all different stuff in trying to make them all individually dope but not being corny using the same tricks over and over

I feel like with 20 beats and a bonus track this is more like a instrumental album and not a mixtape lol ….if there is such a thing

thanks again for the review bro, this means a lot to me god bless

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
No problem man, you're welcome. That's cool that you started this based on Prodigy's death. It's crazy how things come about.

I agree, the repetitive ones are dope indeed, it's just it of course depends on a lot of factors. Like if you listen to really old songs a lot of those beats are just 2-bar loops but they were head nodders on their own without vocals. It just comes down to the type of sounds in the beat I guess. The great thing about the repetitive ones are that it leaves plenty of room for vocals.

What I liked is that you have a good ear for what to sample. I've heard many beats that sample soul stuff but just grab the most obvious part of the song and don't do much with it. But yours turned out great.

members online

No members online now.