Not using quanitze in your beats.

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I just tried this with a couple of new joints and the outcome was ill! When I use to try it my timing wasn't as good. Lately, I have been playin around on a set of drums at this studio and my timing and drumming skills have gotten much better. I found that if you do it right it sounds alot more original and not so robotic (not to diss using quantize, I still do). I know alot of industry heads perfer doing beats like this and if done well you can't even tell. I just like the sound of my drums so much better like this (for a basic hard hitting drum pattern). Anyways, has anyone else done this?

O

OUTTHERENJ

when i do sumthin fancy like roll the keys or sumthing swingy i tend to leave quantize off, because the quantize wont lock it in right.

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yea i do that a lot. mostly ill lay down some 1/8th hats on the mpc, and then just turn the quantize off and play around with the kicks and the snares, get some natural swing in them. then after i get them done i take the OG hats out and replay them without quantize....

helps get closer to that 80s, atcq pharcyde style drum loops.

B.Hawk

THE PRIVATE
ill o.g.
i usually just do that with my hats for the real drummer effect but i need the kick and snare to be on point, super tight, thats why i bought the mp, ya feel me

FSC

Royal Souf Productions
ill o.g.
I never use quantize.. But i'm gonna check it out tomorrow to see if there is any difference

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Yeah, quantize is still good to use (I'm far from perfect without quantize). But, I like the feel and freedom of not using it. Especially when you want to get fancy with the keys.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
yea i use the mpc for the drums then just play with the swing on that i think thats theb est ay to get that natural feel also, something else for you to try, even a fully quantised beat can be made to sound live if you play with the sounds and the velocities and pitches of all your drum sounds, once you understand how a drummer playes things you can replicate these pretty easily !

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
check the altf4 page, there's a lounge track in there on which I havent even used a sequencer, just the multitrack window in logic. Its a good method cuz it forced you to listen instead of watching your events.

Shwaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I find that using quanitze set to 100% always sounds bad. I try and get it as good as I can natrually and then go like 50% or 60%. Shifiting the beats around a little does help to make it sound tight.

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i often just play my shit in and record as wav files so quantize isn't an option sometimes. I think it is important to 'develop the metronome in your head'

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
I feel that the most important thing to give swing to your drums is not about NOT using quantizing, but to have the proper placement of Hi-hat, it's the way the hi-hat connects with the snare and kicks that makes it not be robotic.

Anyone, thinks so too?

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
I think it all depends on the track. Sometimes quantize works well, sometimes not.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
Qwerty said:
I feel that the most important thing to give swing to your drums is not about NOT using quantizing, but to have the proper placement of Hi-hat, it's the way the hi-hat connects with the snare and kicks that makes it not be robotic.

Anyone, thinks so too?

i've heard that before.. I personally find it easy turning off the handicap quantize and using natural rhythm

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Qwerty said:

Anyone, thinks so too?

I agree, it just gives it that live feel... Makes it sound more interesting and not so predictable..

ill o.g.
I like to use quantization on the drums (sometimes) just to get that drummachinefeel. All the other samples are so offbeat that I like the contrast of having something really strict.

members online