Nvisi's Music Plan

Nvisible

ill o.g.
Ok so Look Ima producer-in training,......I have been in love with music since young and I just started realizing that I want to make beats professionally.......so a year ago I had got Fl studio and started the beat making process....but the thing is I really don't wanna be those guys who just throw everything away for music and end up goin nowhere.so i wanna play it safe.....I wanna go 2 college. I originally thought about goin 2 a music college like Berklee or a 2 yr school like full sail and Sae but I started thinkin I'd just start my first two years or even go straight to graduating from a 4 yr college and pick up a couple music classes while not directly focused on a music degree so therefore i would basically be able to get a good career and still be experienced in music....but then I get thoughts that maybe I could transfer after 2 yrs of college to a 2yr school or or berklee and further my advancenment in music......I want alot of music knowledge but I don't want to be dead broke when I get out of college......I just don't know what to do because I don't want to neglect my passion for music but I don't want to end up being financially unstable with the music business being such a "starving artist" profitee.So any of you vet producers got any well good advice 4 me.I kinda asked this "?" be4 but just wanted to be more specific.....feedback would be appreciated.......peace.........im outt

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
if you are looking for financial security which it seems, get a degree with good employment prospects. you can still learn about music in your spare time while you get the degree.

classic should have a better answer for this.

ill o.g.
As someone who just recently finished with college selections and admissions (in other words, I was in your shoes not too long ago), I personally am taking the traditional four-year college route. Afrique's advice is simple and on point...get a degree in something you're interested in and that will provide a decent income just in case music doesn't work out. Apply to colleges that provide a strong musical and professional environment in terms of classes and location. Get as much professional experience as you can in the industry.

Worse comes to worst, making beats "professionally" (define?) isn't mutually exclusive with working a traditional 9-5. Plenty of underground cats do it ;).

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^ thats where i am.

Get yourself something to fall back on bro, odds are you wont make it. thats just the probability of it.

Get a degree in something like buisness or journalism or something, and just take a few music classes in your spare time, or maybe head to one of those two year schools after you graduate.

The thing is, there arent enough positions as 'professional producers' in the industry for everyone. so spending money and time attending a two year school for producing is putting a lot of trust in luck. its likely that all those resources could come up wasted.

the other thing is, unless you want to be an engineer, deal with the legal aspects of music, or study sound design, there isnt a lot of things you need to learn in school. Beatmaking skills come from, geuss what, making beats. its experience, maybe some reading, and dedictaion. most of the schools that say they can give you a certificate in beatmaking ar just bullshit.

im not a pessimist, just a realist.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
having my masters degree has giving me more freedom and options then the most beatmakers....becasue of my education, no matter what happens with this music shit i will always have secure employeement....

It has allowed me to live in difffernt cities and follow my dreams, the more educated ur are the more freedom you have

I always cringe when i see these kids fresh out of hight school talking about going to production schools etc... their are putting themselves in enmorus debt with a degree that really doesent mean anything outside a specific industry that is very narrow and competitive...

ill o.g.
^
Word.

Class and Collossus pretty much summed up the main point really well: in this kind of a competitive industry; simply attending a "top class" production/music school is a very big gamble.

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
As a teacher with a masters degree and a fervent love of production, I cosign classic's opinions. With a steady paycheck and a love for learning you can explore your musical and creative ideas. The starving artists/musicians are the ones that end up having to compromise their integrity because they can't afford to create just for the love of it.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
wordup to the curb UP! to all beatmakers out there: get yo funky ass in college or the pressure might kill ya skill when the real world hits your budget, and your MIND withya dayjob. take it from me, music should be a hobbie untill your makin Halliburton Money

ill o.g.
In that case I personally would recommend expanding one's horizons ;). I mean don't get me wrong, hip-hop's my first love and I think about making beats whenever I'm awake...I'm constantly thinking about and talking about music. But in my opinion finding value and joy in just one thing in life is unhealthy, regardless of what that one thing is. I'm for balance, personally.

Also, it's an issue of practicality more than it is about passion. I bet a lot of us would be thrilled to simply sit around and make beats all day...but at the end of the day the artist has got to eat and finance his/her work.

Good point though.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
Producer_GyaL said:
okay, its all good, but what do you do when NOTHING interrest you to study in ? I mean, when you get in to the point that nothing else makes you happy beside making beats? hum?

all about vision. i mean right now am doing a computing degree, and i liked computers until i saw what the work in this course is like. i think about music just about every damn second. but vision can get you through. you just keep thinking of the day when you will have the freedom because of some financial stability. buying all the latest gear without worrying about how the next bill is going to be paid or how the rent going to be paid, you get?

i understand to be really successful at anything you have to give it 100%, but with music, doing that without starving lol, can be a difficult job. i mean dont get me wrong, one can just drop everything and chase this fully 24/7 and be a success, but imagine if you had some money stashed in the bank to allow you to commit fully, surely that would be better.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
FTdub said:
As a teacher with a masters degree and a fervent love of production, I cosign classic's opinions. With a steady paycheck and a love for learning you can explore your musical and creative ideas. The starving artists/musicians are the ones that end up having to compromise their integrity because they can't afford to create just for the love of it.
Cosigned... I think most athletes do the same thing too (well, the bright ones) they study in something that is safe and stable to have a backdoor in case something goes wrong...

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Producer_GyaL said:
okay, its all good, but what do you do when NOTHING interrest you to study in ? I mean, when you get in to the point that nothing else makes you happy beside making beats? hum?

well like somebody else said u gotta be realstic, thats part of growing & being a real man/woman, sometimes u have to balance what u WANT to do with what u HAVE to do....

I dont really like writing code that much but i know its something that i have to do in order to support what i really want to do ,which is make beats. My job also allows me to be independent...

While i could move back home to my house in flordia, freeload of my parents and make beats all day... I dont think thats really a mature thing to do.... Im a grown man now and part of that entailes that i have to accept certain responsibilitites..... Their comes a point in time where u have to really evalute where u want to be in life, regardless of ur dreams...

*sorry for the long speach, its the same one i give to kids I mentor*

Slamdino

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
"okay, its all good, but what do you do when NOTHING interrest you to study in ? I mean, when you get in to the point that nothing else makes you happy beside making beats? hum?"

I struggle with that everyday going to a job I hate becuase the only job you really love is sitting in some room locked away engulfed in music. However the only reason I have been able to make money and have a measure of sucess and freedom doing music is because I went to college. Not only is it a good back up plan but you make lots of connections and potential artists to work with there. I was one of the campus DJs. I met all kinds of industry people that came through to do concerts and service the station with music. Even if you dont DJ the networking opportunities are still there....

I studied computers and didnt even finish but still learned enough to get a very very high salary in quality assurance engineering. I hate the 9-5 but when you get a check for two weeks of work that you can comfortably pay all your bills with for the month and your following 2 weeks check can be blown on equipment, promotions putting out your own cd's when you want how you want, paying top artists for features on your beats ect... its worth it. It takes money to make money. The degree or certificate gives you stability. As your business grows and your music is in demand you will be able to work less hours doing something you hate. I am at the point where i can comfortably live off of 30 hours a week and my partner can totally live off music related projects. Thats all from planning to be financially stable. Start off now by keeping your bills low, not accumulating credit card and loan debt making smart purchases and financial decisions. If you dont want to do the 4 year thing studying something you hate get some sort of computer certificate. The programs are short ranging from a month to a year and you will still get a good salary. Do some research and plan things out very well if you wish to get to a point where you are stable enough to follow your dreams!
P.S. this is coming from a woman with financial obligations of housing, a child, nice car ect NOT a young person with very little bills so trust me this is proven practical advice. I am on point to retire at a very early age which will allow me even more time to tinker with musical ventures all from proper financial planning, decent education and small practical sacrifices made while i was still free from many of the obligations that come in the later years of life (home, car, kids ect....) Sorry to write a novel lol just my 2 cents though!

Slamdino

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yes i am a woman and if i can be an inspiration to anyone that is great! I have been inspired by many through the years. Im sure you will do the same! IF I can be of assistance to you in any way feel free to PM me!

Nvisible

ill o.g.
Damn you guys dropping some serious knowledge.......I think I'll just stick to the basic education with going to a 4 year college and everything and music production would be like a MAJOR hobby for me until I get myself grounded, at least financially, and ready to proceed with the music biz.Thanks for the advice everyone oh and my bad if I said making beats "professionally" I know there is no real "professional" way to make beats.It's all like homey in the last couple of posts said...vision.......unseen vision.....im outt

The Konductor

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm assuming you're a young cat. And if that is a fact, then you have time to try many different things in life. Its all about balance. You never want to put all your eggs in 1 basket if you don't have to.

I say go to college for somethings besides music, and take theory or piano as electives. You can also learn alot from purchasing some studio time or some how getting in w/ a local studio who will let you sit on sessions. Balance your time well with school and music, and if you get good then you can decide if you should pay more attention to one or the other.

members online