Oasis (the band) for you UK/European heads...

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
I know they're rock. There are UK or European heads here.

Anybody alive while they were in their prime?

How big were they in the UK?

We're having a debate about this. Basically, the argument is that the US hasn't produced a recent stadium act comparable to Oasis' popularity in the UK in a LONG time.

I can't think of rock bands - even in the 90's that attained similar fame and status in the US as Oasis did in the UK.

Other than DMB and older established acts like Bon Jovi and shit - who can sell out entire football stadiums, nothing crosses my mind. Guns N' Roses were the closest, but that was early 90's as well.

Coldplay comes the close, but they don't book football stadium tours.

I'm talking like 60,000 people-type shows.

T

The Arkitekt

We're having a debate about this. Basically, the argument is that the US hasn't produced a recent stadium act comparable to Oasis' popularity in the UK in a LONG time.

I can't think of rock bands - even in the 90's that attained similar fame and status in the US as Oasis did in the UK.

Linkin Park maybe? They're pretty fuckin popular

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
i wuz like 7-8 when they were in there prime Ark wuz still tryin to find his pacifier that wuz between his blues clues toy chest and his little bear stuffed animal...

T

The Arkitekt

i wuz like 7-8 when they were in there prime Ark wuz still tryin to find his pacifier that wuz between his blues clues toy chest and his little bear stuffed animal...

lol how old are you now? Says on wiki that Linkin Park was formed in 96', and that wasn't even their prime

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
lol how old are you now? Says on wiki that Linkin Park was formed in 96', and that wasn't even their prime

im talkin about oasis that is what the the post is about guy

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I think that its should be noted that we have more festivals and venues in stadium's (stadia ?) than stadium acts in specific. Even though there might not be any newer artist or band worthy of calling a stadium act, there are bands/artists that toured a lot here without having a current hit in the charts (stuff like rolling stones etc can really pack a huge crowd). Actually, one of the best and biggest stadium acts ive seen here was RATM on a festival with 70K people.

Oasis-> brit-pop, its that trademark uk sound, i think they invented it but i wouldnt really call it rock...to much the singer/songwriter genre.

I was at school when Oasis were really big. And they were huge.
I always thought they were ripping off the beatles for style tho.
My favorite Oasis track was Wonderwall, not really too keen on any of their other tracks.
But yes they were really huge, they sparked off the popularity of live bands again during a time when things were pretty electronic..
Times have changed, the whole industry has changed, I dont need to tell you this.
Music has become more disposable, and so have the artists.
I personally think the times of lifelong fans are pretty much over.
Most of the stadium filling artists are from the 80's or before..
I think U2 are one of the biggest bands of all time, maybe you could enlighten me on that one.

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
Oasis was huge when i was in highschool. Wonderwall, Dont look back in anger, Whats the story (morning glory), were some of my favorite songs. and yeah they did seem like they were ripping off the beatles. they fucking drank their fame away too. lol crazy brits.

Oasis was huge when i was in highschool. Wonderwall, Dont look back in anger, Whats the story (morning glory), were some of my favorite songs. and yeah they did seem like they were ripping off the beatles. they fucking drank their fame away too. lol crazy brits.
thats what being a brit rocker is all about.
Add their abrasive personalities too. Pair of arseholes if you ask me.

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
I know they're rock. There are UK or European heads here.

Anybody alive while they were in their prime?

How big were they in the UK?

Other than DMB and older established acts like Bon Jovi and shit - who can sell out entire football stadiums, nothing crosses my mind. Guns N' Roses were the closest, but that was early 90's as well.

Coldplay comes the close, but they don't book football stadium tours.

I'm talking like 60,000 people-type shows.

did oasis do this?

members online