Old School defined

FuzE

i make beatz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 99
I'm so tired of hearing ppl say that songs are "old school" when they aint. A joint from 94-95 aint "old school" I mean i'm just sittin hear wonderin whats the standard for being "old school" Personally, If it aint from the 80's then, it aint "old school" to me. Whutchall think is a proper tenure for hip-hop to be "old school"

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Some Hip Hop that is True Skool that underground heads like is timeless....you still hear basically the same patterns and elements used especially on a lot underground hip hop.....backpackers tend to take to listening to that elemental hip hop...to me that is timeless it can never be old skool.....now this stuff that Jazzy Phae is bringing back and what snoop & Missy is rapping over are OLD skool beats that put you in a time warp to Soul Sonic Force and some Really old played out Elektro....that stuff I do not wish was making a come back.....these beats absolutely have no originality...this is the element of the south music that is sucking badly.......I heard some of jazzy phae stuff and some is good but I just don't like some of the really wack ass music making it to the charts now....all you need is an 808 kit and some synths....come on man.....GOD Please save us and bring some real music back to hip hop......these cute and catchy made in 5 minute beats are killing it...double dutch bus...LOL that should stay right back in them days......but to answer your question OLD SKOOL from say 95 forward there is no big difference in the sound now like when i hear Pete Rock and listen to Mos Def and then a lot of 9ths stuff, the are preserving that sound but adding to it...thats what I call progressive...not just looking at it like that was simple or those beats are 15 years old and the other nonsense I hear all the time....cats that produce are still capturing that flavor and implementing it....you might hear some different drumkits etc......but remember most of the music then was using heavyweight equipment going into real studios and anolog gear to be mastered, I am still surprised when I hear the KNOCK and bottom of a lot of the hits from then that some of the music now is losing because of the heavy digital influences........

FuzE

i make beatz
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
Some Hip Hop that is True Skool that underground heads like is timeless....you still hear basically the same patterns and elements used especially on a lot underground hip hop.....backpackers tend to take to listening to that elemental hip hop...to me that is timeless it can never be old skool.....now this stuff that Jazzy Phae is bringing back and what snoop & Missy is rapping over are OLD skool beats that put you in a time warp to Soul Sonic Force and some Really old played out Elektro....that stuff I do not wish was making a come back.....these beats absolutely have no originality...this is the element of the south music that is sucking badly.......I heard some of jazzy phae stuff and some is good but I just don't like some of the really wack ass music making it to the charts now....all you need is an 808 kit and some synths....come on man.....GOD Please save us and bring some real music back to hip hop......these cute and catchy made in 5 minute beats are killing it...double dutch bus...LOL that should stay right back in them days......but to answer your question OLD SKOOL from say 95 forward there is no big difference in the sound now like when i hear Pete Rock and listen to Mos Def and then a lot of 9ths stuff, the are preserving that sound but adding to it...thats what I call progressive...not just looking at it like that was simple or those beats are 15 years old and the other nonsense I hear all the time....cats that produce are still capturing that flavor and implementing it....you might hear some different drumkits etc......but remember most of the music then was using heavyweight equipment going into real studios and anolog gear to be mastered, I am still surprised when I hear the KNOCK and bottom of a lot of the hits from then that some of the music now is losing because of the heavy digital influences........

So you're sayin old school is more so a genre than a time frame....

Chedda

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
you cant really pin the term 'old skool' to a particular era. everyone has a different definition of 'old skool'. just cause the 80s is old skool to you doesnt mean it is to a 50 year old whos been listening to music since the early 60s, to them old skool might be more like the 60s, whereas a 13 year old whos only been into music for a few years might look at the late 90s as old skool, ya smell me?

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
old school - "People use this phrase to mean old fashioned, usually as a criticism, and in comparison to themselves. It suggests that the one described as such acts in a way that was appropriate at one time, but is no longer current."

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Old Skool is not OBJective....more so Relative, thats what you probably mean.....but there are things that people like to label old and new skool....I think this discussion really is more geared to the original question, but if you go by the Charts and Radio Station they kind of define things into Genres where they shouldn't so people really depend on them to tell them what genre something is, I hate categories because they make it easy for someone to define music then dilute pure forms of certain styles.....I am speaking in terms of TruSkoolism....not really any of the dirty south or the newly added music that has been lumped incorrectly and labeled as Hip Hop music..........there are certain elements and patterns that will never change in terms of the ingredients for good hip hop.....I think the groundwork for that was layed a long time ago....just as a good Jazz lick that say Gillespie or Miles put down can still fit into a modern Jazz format...............its called new but really its based on an old concept....I dunno like I said its sorta relative....now reggae is a good example that you should take into account, there are certain things that must be preserved in that format to keep the riddim reggae..the patterns, how the guitar and keys keep a certain rhythm you hear every single time...you can't go changing it too much because then it won't be ummmm reggae anymore....same applies to Hip Hop if you ask me....

S

sezwho ?

with hip hop often yoe have early-mid 80s and prior referred to as old school anything before the sampling drum machine really (about 86 87 what when the golden age began)
but as krs says there aint no old school in hip hop what your parents listened to when they where teen agers - that is old school (imo)

ill o.g.
man , i was exchanging 'old skool' tracks with a buddy of mine. I sent him grandmaster flash, some run dmc shit (peter piper, sucker mcs) etc. guess what this dumb ass sent me back as what he thought was old school : krs one sound of da police :s :/
i mean not even old BDP shit, just straight up sound of da police. (and what, this dude thinks a hiphop head like me dont have standard tunes like sound of da police lol :p)
*sigh* kids today

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
I'd say old school hip hop goes until 88 or 89. After that i consider that shit something else. I think that when referring to hip hop as old school, it reflects how hip hop was in the beginning. Its only been here since 1979. So the entire 1980s was the first development stage in hiphop, not just another decade as in other genres of music. Thats just me though.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
honestly, is this even importnat? is this something to reeeally be irritated by?

cause if i hear something from 95, my first reaction is, "ahh damn, thats old school!"... im not sitting there like, now does this meet the criteria of what can truly be considered old school? is this old enough for me to correctly label it as such?"

NOOOOPPEEEE.... i dont really care, if its some old shit that makes me feel nostalgic, thats old school. you are gettin on some semantics shit that dont even really matter one way or another. 20 years or ten, my personal feeling of the term is just some old shit, i dont really differentiate between "kinda old" and "really old" and "old school".

fuck it, for the sake of argument, just give it different grades or some shit if it eases the frustration, yuo know, grandmaster flash, tahts some kindergarten shit i guess, run dmc will be like 3rd grade or something.. its really pointless.

oh, yeah, i hope you dont take that personal or like i am attacking yu cause thats not where im coming from... i just dont see the importance of it- old school is really just some old shit to me personally, and everyone will have their own personal definition, so thats what i am sayin- its whatever it is to the person.

personally i love electric funk, thats some reeeal b boy shit right there..... all that shit is nice t ome, although that jazzy phe remix is kind of weakly done to me.... i would like to see something much better done with it, i agreee with yuo on that shit being weak but i love the genre itself.

and bigd, somehting i dont get, im not tryin gto start nothing- i do respect you a great deal, but something i dont understand is that while you want for "real" music to come back to hip hop, you also seem to be all for the club shit, the krunk shit, the commercial radio shit that is the same shit taking the musicality out of hip hop, i do not get that, please explain your perspective on that to me because it doesnt make sense to me........

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Truth here is your explanation plain and simple...not that I am a sell out....well in a sense I am....I sell beats to MC's that do all types of shidd because that's the versatility I have and is demanded....but my roots take me to back to the real hip hop.....not every MC is seeing that.....I don't just stay in one track when it comes to making beats....I try to understand every style.....I am not going to be totally against the new music as far as production.....I put my own touch to any of that .....so I dunno about me really being into the krunk or club bigtime....I Do that, that's true but MC's ain't coming to me saying look I need a WU beat, or I need some premo, or anything like that....its more novel to sit around and make instrumentals like that because its really hard to sell the average brainwashed MC out anything else but commercial.........so in a nutshell Truth I do whatever......even if thats not really my cup of tea.....some people will not like or listen to any other kind of music....that to me is sort of being musically handicapped......even though my favorite Genre is the 90's True Skool Hip Hop.....feel me?....that should clear up your confusion......because today music is completely confused........

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
cool, i can respect that. just wondering- because those really are to conflicting ideaologies, until yo uexplained your position, but i can actually relate to where you are coming from.

i have actually began re-thinking my MO myself, ubt i think that there is a line where i can strike a balance- i.e, where its still be a good "Truth" beat, but a little more "accesable" to the shit most of these dues are looking for....

because, i mean hey ijust did taht commercial with many more to follow (or so i was told!) so yeah diversity is key to success in todays field.

so, any ideas on how to bring the quality of this shit back up? thats another thread though, i suppose.

i kind of get the whole "fuck it, i just got paid" mentality- but if i got paid off some cheesy ass beat, i would say "yeah that shit was garbage, but fuck it i got paid for it!"...

gram green

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
it aint important... but old school is 80's... i was at this show and they were playin the chronic and theese kids were like daaaaaaaaaaaaammmm buuuuuud this is some ollllllllllllld skool shit...

i was laughin... i know im an olld muffucca, but i dont really like peeps callin 90's shit old skool...

i cant really imagine being like 12 years old or something and your first exposure to hip hop is whats out now.... that would be wack, and actually i may have never got into hip hop if i was 20 years younger.... i was strictly punk rock til i heard public enemy when i was 13... and i'll allways remember that day when i heard it and was lovin that shit....

think about the first hip hop you ever hear bein j-kwon or nelly.... shit

i know it aint on topic but just a thought........

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
gram green said:
think about the first hip hop you ever hear bein j-kwon or nelly.... shit
awwwww fuck. thats fuckin wack as hell. "Yea kid, play that G-Unit old skool shit son!" If my kids ever say that shit, they getting smacked on principal. Get the fuck outta here.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
cleverwon said:
awwwww fuck. thats fuckin wack as hell. "Yea kid, play that G-Unit old skool shit son!" If my kids ever say that shit, they getting smacked on principal. Get the fuck outta here.

Imagine hearin,,,," Yo son, Eminem is the foundin' father of Hip Hop!" LOL< I can see Benzino rollin' himself down a flight of stairs in his Bling, Bling, Iced out wheel chair,sittin on 24's, wit the cold air induction so when he rolls his joint sounds like a car with a hole in the muffler.

Bosta

Hi Joka
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
lolol but thats just how the shit gonna be man - ol school is like the beginnings of what u can remember so if u 50 your old school is wayyyyyyy back but if u 20 ur shit's not gon be that far - ol school depends on who ur around

P

Pinnacle

"Ol School"- this is relative to what ever era you want to take it too. From Kurtis Blow/LL Cool J, to Brand Nubian/Smiff & Wesson, to Biggi/ Tupac/Jayz(reasonable doubt) would be considered different era's of hip hop. It also stems from your location too! The distinction is what was being said and the production used to get that point across was actually done with heart and hunger to be heard. When you hear an Ol School track its like a time worp to take you back to the time you 1st heard that song and what was happening in you life at that time good or not so great.

FuzE

i make beatz
ill o.g.
Bosta said:
ol school is like the beginnings of what u can remember so if u 50 your old school is wayyyyyyy back but if u 20 ur shit's not gon be that far

I feel ya on that.