On art and chasing trends.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I agree, cant really offer much to add there.

Though, there seems to be a very fine (or non-existent) line in many peoples mind between biting (or chasing trends) and case study so you can understand and apply to your own work.

Example, someone has a tutorial on doing Flying Lotus style music. Someone comments basically petitioning to stop attempting to copy FlyLo and to 'Do You' or whatever (ughh). Yet, it's not about copying this about getting your head wrapped around the methodology to move in the direction you desire, not to mention its impossible to copy FlyLo since he's always changing all the time. Then again, I suppose you've more or less covered this in being unapologetic.

2infamouz

Mad Beats, No Angry Vegetables
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
definately good advice. I spent years trying to mimic or do what other producers were doing, and they were the least productive years as far as my music goes. It took a while but now that I'm doing my own thing I feel like I'm moving in a better direction, and enjoying it a lot more.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Yet, it's not about copying this about getting your head wrapped around the methodology to move in the direction you desire, not to mention its impossible to copy FlyLo since he's always changing all the time.

Yea I totally agree, sometimes you need to learn your tool and you do that by copying, no problem here at all. Second sometimes you copy for a bit to find your own voice, nothing wrong with that either. It is the constant chasing that is lame and specifically destroying hip-hop. FYI FlyLo used Reason for his first few records and now uses Ableton. :)