OPEN LABS NEKO TSE or MAC BOOK PRO/APOGEE INTERFACE/AKAI MPK49

JKIEYZ

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What are you guys thoughts on the open labs products? Good investment or Bad investment? Seems to me to good to be true, everything in one box just sounds like a diaster waiting to happen.I want portable setup so i was looking at the Open Labs Neko TSE or a Mac Book Pro laptop/Apogee interface/Akai MPK49 setup. I need your feedback on this one!!!

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Those open labs are pretty pricey, good for travel like you said, but they're more useful for guys who have a ton of hardware sound modules. where open labs have a software that will copy all the sounds from that module to your board. I went to the open labs website a few months back and a lot of big time producers are using them and swear by them from the interviews i saw. But a laptop and midi controller would pretty much do the samething at a much cheaper price.

KurtisRich

Pussy Monster
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 13
if you're getting a macbook pro...ur probably looking at spending 2000-2500 for a good one.... and 500-600 on interface etc. so it would total of maybe 3000k. Don't forget about the software and everything. which would cost you some more money. The neko tse is like what.... 5000? For me.... i think i'd probably get the neko since its all in one.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Man, i would get the MacBookPro with the Apogee Interface handsdown. Even tho the Neko is like a ridiculously cool, fancy spaceship - the MacBook is so much more useful for various other tasks plus ur getting phenomenal converters on an Apogee interface whereas the Neko doesnt even offer that kind of recording option. Plus once i switched over from XP to OSX, i have to say that windows freakin BLOWS for music production!...Im never going back. Put my life on that one.

Font

Producer / Sound Designer
ill o.g.
"Neko / Miko" real cool machines but will have to opt for my new Xeon 3.6Ghz 3gb ram PC now this is a flying machine totally dedicated to my MUSIC & 3D design work!

Spiderman

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I would say go with the Macbook.. I have a Macbook and an M-Audio midi controller and an MPC.. I'm working on getting the Apogee Ensemble as my next purchase... but that with Logic and some aftermarket VST's is the shit.. I haven't used the Open Labs products but I have heard great things about them

JKIEYZ

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yea what im really looking for is stability because for me everything is software so having a stable operating system is a big concern.I believe the open labs products run on window xp and I know from some recent experiences mac os x is flawless

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
I would love a Neko. OMG! That would compliment FL beautifully. WOW! Expensive though but......no need to upgrade that at all. FL will uprgrade but I could just load that into the Neko. Sweet as fuck, IMO.