Opinions on New AVID Mboxes???

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
It looks like Avids finally releasing some new MBoxes and Im partially intrigued. Mainly because as much as I dont really care for PT, I find myself more and more needing to transfer over sessions from Logic into a PT ready session in order to be prepared for future in house studio sessions or sending the the files over to another musician that only has protools.

The original MBoxes were not that attractive to me personally from an aesthetic perspective to my personal take on their mic pres. However, now with the advent of a newer set of models Im finally considering the jump to PT, but only if the MBox itself has been drastically improved.

I figure heads like Dream may possibly have the inside scoop, so if so this thread is directed at you.

Please tell me your thoughts.

Thanks,
Steezo!

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
yea, I have not been able to hear one yet. But my friends at SW love them! If you don't have PT you NEED to get an Mbox just to transfer sessions like you talked about.

I am sure the preamps rock in these! AVID really has something to prove now.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
If you don't have PT you NEED to get an Mbox just to transfer sessions like you talked about.
Im aware, hence the thread...
Its not a huge priority of mine since theres easy ways around it for importing tracks into a PT session, however having the session all ready to go and load up at the desk in the studio with all routing, etc. already set is so much more of a time saver...

From what Ive read anyways, the new MBox sounds pretty dope (improved pre's + converters + plus it has soft limiting apparently which is pretty cool). Wish the pro version wasnt so expensive tho.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Personally I think soft limiting is a freakin joke ha ha
but yea I can get a full report soon for you.

I agree, was more just intrigued by the fact that it came as a standard feature with the new units. I myself prefer using outboard compression before it hits the DAW if Im going to track in like that at all.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
oh did I mention I kinda hate MOTU as well?

At first, I thought they were just trusty MOTU, simple no frills, gets the job done type shit, but now after owning my Ultralite for about 4 yrs Id never buy another product from them again. The pad switch started buggin out like 3 yrs ago and Ive never been able to remedy the problem, and the converters are certainly not that amazing, however at the time it had all the I/O I wanted for the pricepoint I could afford so it seemed like the best solution. All in All, its still a decent interface but Id much rather have something like an Apogee or a RME fireface now, or hell maybe even an MBox! lol.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I'll take my mbox 2 please...thanks..

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
oh did I mention I kinda hate MOTU as well?

WWWWHHHAAAAAAAAATTTTT? Man you are CURSED by the evil gear god! Mark Of The Unicorn is da FIYA! Good ish!

;)~

Steez, I too never really cared for MBox's old looks (nor did I like PT just because of ALL the hype...) but after dp sold me my 1st MBox, I found that it was not only good for transfering, but my vocal recording rocked, I mean it improved tremendously so they get major props on that...need it or not, it's really worth the investment to have imo.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
What I hate about MOTU is more about how crappy they treat there customers than anything else. Since I got to deal with allot of these guys first hand I saw all the political BS that goes on. MOTU seems to have one employee that really helps customers and everyone else there seems to not care. That being said things like Volta, and Electric keys are good products but dealing with MOTU is meh. Companies that provide good service and seem to care about there customers are like AVID actually, Ableton, PRS, Cakewalk, Roland, LIne 6, Native Instruments, RME, Apogee, Neumann and can go on

NOT AKAI/NUMARK/ALESIS! You did know they where one company right?

At any rate there are plenty of good options for fantastic companies to work with that will treat you right and provide a good product. No need to buy from one that seems to only half care about its customers.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I knew ALESIS and AKAI were in together but I didn't know that NUMARK was in the fam. It does explain the vast improvements on their mixers though, they have come along way from the early days of NUMARK...lol.

As far as MOTU, I really do like their gear, mainy because I've never needed customer service on any of it. I know Murphy's Law applies therefore good customer service is a must if you want ppl to stay with you. I don't condone companies not providing good CS but I do like a small touch of arrogance (kinda like you have when it comes to gear knowledge...lmao, everybody at ILL knows they can't tell you ish when it comes to gear, but thats a good thing in my eyes...if dp gives it the green light, you can bet it's a pretty good piece of gear:), a touch of arrogance gives me the impression that they are confident in their gear. I hate calling someone and they say something like "yeah thats a common problem with our gear...". My first thoughts are, then recall the ish and get it off the market...lol.

members online