Over 22,000 hits for Smash Brothers album on Google search

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Some interesting news

Since our album fear factor leaked on the net ive been keeping rough estimates of hits and downloads or music various search engines etc..
This weekend we hit a milestone on Google

The search string "smash brothers - fear factor” with quotes now has over 22,000 hits with Google. Its to the point now where you can start typing smash brothers fear factor, and Google will auto fill in the results…(see attached jpeg)

Before somebody says it, no its the smash brothers video game getting the hits, its the entire search string for our album is getting these hits "hence the quotations”

Now with my rough estimates, Google grabs about 1/5 of the search traffic out there so that means that potently there have been 5 times as many hits in the past couple of months.

Also this doesn’t include the countless torrents, forums, and download sites that pop up when you search on our album info as well,(seriously its almost 6 pages worth torrents and free links to our album)

So yea, there are potentially tens of thousands of people out there listening to our music all over the world(Russia is our biggest downloader’s). While it sucks we aint getting jack ish for 99% of these downloads, atleast cats is rocking out to the smash brothers…

Also our Pandora radio station followers have swelled as well.

Pretty cool But Who are these people LOL?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• screen_shot.jpg
    screen_shot.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 192

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Now leverage this shit into a meeting with an agent or manager.

Fucking do it.

Now.

classic

ill o.g.
Now leverage this shit into a meeting with an agent or manager.

Fucking do it.

Now.

Your right G,
Im working on a mini presentation about this as we speak, I always listen to the wise advice you give, espically when dealing with the smash brothers. I may not post it, but we definalty follow your advice, (from contacting managers, to getting on the radio, to leveraging free music for more exposer.)

class..

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Can you literally get a sponsor from Nintendo?

Read this shit:
http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2009/04/an-interview-wi.html

Or this (same thing, sans pics)... It's about how a rapper named Random copped a sponsorship from Capcom for writing a song about MegaMan.

Copy:
Random's Mega Man Raps Pay Off, Nerd-Style
By Scott Thill EmailApril 13, 2009 | 4:14:00 PMCategories: Games, Music

Random_dannyhajek

When Arizona-based rapper Random created his 2007 indie-hop effort Mega Ran out of his love of Capcom's old-school game Mega Man, he expected trouble, perhaps a lawsuit. Instead, Capcom invited him to rule its Comic-Con International booth and then bankrolled the 2009 follow-up, Mega Ran 9, released in March.

"It's pretty amazing, and relieving," Random, known as Raheem Jarboe to the IRS, explained to Wired.com in an e-mail interview.

As one of Capcom's most successful entries, Mega Man has always had a healthy share of devotees. But Random never thought that his childhood love of quests to steal weapons from Robot Masters would lead to raps about wooing Splash Woman, the first boss character in the franchise's original game. Yet Jarboe, who teaches when he's not crafting chiptunes, understands that there is a lesson to be learned here.

"Hip-hop has been built on false images for so long," he says. "Nerd is the new cool."

Wired.com: How does it feel to not be sued by Capcom?

Random: It's pretty amazing, and relieving. I can't say I ever expected it. I think inside of most hip-hop heads, deep down is the soul of a gamer. It seemed almost taboo to combine both loves, because hip-hop is so much about what's cool and tough. I never felt that I'd be able to fully embrace that side, let alone be successful with it.

Megaran9 Wired.com: How is the album doing? I hear it's Rahm Nation's top-seller.

Random: The album is exceeding my expectations. Right now, it's sold out at UndergroundHipHop.com, which is even more shocking, because the big sellers there are folks like Talib Kweli and MF Doom, who I really respect. It's wild, because I gave it away for free for almost a month, and it's now over 7,000 downloads. No one knows the formula for selling records these days, not even the bigwigs. So to give 80 percent of an album away and then sell it, and still have it sell well, tells me a lot. It tells me that if you make a product for a core audience, and are genuine in your approach, people will see that and want to support it. Oh, and it can't suck.

Wired.com: Are you thinking of turning this into a trend with other games you dug as a kid?

Random: I thought about it. In fact, I have plans right now for a new videogame album. I've told them to the Mega Ran crew and they're all for it. I don't want to formally announce it yet, because it might not come this year or even next. But what will happen is my album with K-Murdock called Forever Famicom. He's gonna sample some of my favorite Nintendo Entertainment System games like Faxanadu, EarthBound, Street Fighter 2010 and more. We're gonna have some fun. We've secured an arrangement with a label in Japan (of course), so the next album will drop over there as an import only. But I'll drop a North American counterpart as well.

Wired.com: Capcom invited you to Comic-Con last year. How did that go?

Random: That was amazing. Myself and DN3 got to hang out at the Capcom booth, and they played the Mega Ran tunes out of the speakers. I signed autographs and met a bunch of great fans. Just to be able to walk through Comic-Con with a badge that said "Raheem Jarbo: Capcom Entertainment: Exhibitor" was surreal. I met Sgt. Slaughter, for crying out loud. The folks at Capcom tell me they're looking to work me into the mix this year as well.

Wired.com: You're a teacher: What is the lesson here?

Random: That you can definitely draw inspiration from anything. I went from listening to Mega Man MP3s online to traveling the country. Anything can happen. It turns out that there were people out there who were waiting for someone to take the idea and run with it. I've had so many people at shows tell me, "I was thinking about rapping over videogame beats!" But I think it's more than that. It takes heart to embrace your childhood and take a bold step forward. That has made this successful.

I mean, I'm far from the first musician to experiment and try to branch out, so I'm hoping that this can show hip-hop artists that it's OK to be true to yourself. This is what us educators call a "teachable moment." You get about 10 of those a day, at any given time ... and I think you just backed me into one!

Wired.com: Well, I think efforts like this help technoculture take hip-hop more seriously than it already does.

Random: Rappers aren't considered musicians by a great majority. But I'll be the first to tell you that it takes some serious musicianship to be good at it. Now, to make money, well that's a different story. Hip-hop has been built on false images for so long, so maybe "keeping it real" is becoming cool, for real. Nerd is the new cool.

###

booya_nang

A breath of fre$h air!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 76
Haa thats sick bro! It's evident that a lot of heads is checking for, and like somebody above said, exposure is a good thing :D congrats

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Damn, that OkayPlayer review was brutal.

Yeah I just peeped it, but the comments show what people really think.
They called out the guy that reviewed it. He even posted under a false name in the first place.
But this is one of those things that come with the territory, everyone has a different opinion, and not always one we agree with.
Its a shame that some of these people can affect sales and ruin careers.

Also classic & ash, like God said before, use the google hits as leverage, thats an impressive figure, and great bargaining tool to portray a fanbase and potential revenue stream.

classic

ill o.g.

okp tourched us LOL

We can take negative critisim, infact personally I embrace it casue everyone is not gonna feel your music. Just a fact of life

The thing that killed me with the okp how the whole thing went down. False reviewer idenitites, drama, and just plain fuckery. When you listen to some of the stuff they give high marks on the site its like wtf? espcially since we have the dubious destinciton of getting one of the lowest ratings ever. Ohh well.. keep moving

Yea 2good your right, we are gonna try to parlay this into something...

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
okp tourched us LOL

We can take negative critisim, infact personally I embrace it casue everyone is not gonna feel your music. Just a fact of life

The thing that killed me with the okp how the whole thing went down. False reviewer idenitites, drama, and just plain fuckery. When you listen to some of the stuff they give high marks on the site its like wtf? espcially since we have the dubious destinciton of getting one of the lowest ratings ever. Ohh well.. keep moving

Yea 2good your right, we are gonna try to parlay this into something...

That's why you don't expose yourself to shit like this when you're trying to shop something. The appearance that something is hot is more powerful than something that's out there but gets hated on by a dumbass at a review site... and then still trying to convince a head that you're hot.

Cynically, y'all should have probably bought an advertisement at OkayPlayer first - then ask for the review. You should have reached out and taken some OP cats out to eat or something. Think about that in the future.

The posts were OK damage control. IMHO I believe reviews are stupid - but for artists with a small budget, they can make or break shit. You don't want negative shit out there yet - and blaming it on drama makes a cat roll his eyes.

Just keep grindin'.

I don't give advice, that's just my stupid opinion.

Also there's a difference between real internet roots and SEO-type shit. There are music sites that take their shit off other music sites and knowing which ones to "target" help a cat get more hits which raises his value.

What's really important, but people forget - about are having PROFESSIONAL pictures. Don't you guys know some cat who can make a good photo portfolio for you? Some black and white pictures... I know you're on a tight budget but images really fucking count.

@2Good's comment about Smash

You can't fuck with a rep and say you have a big fanbase when you don't have a big one. You have 22,000 hits on Google but only 1,000 friends on MySpace - and 100 on Facebook? Reps also know not to gauge shit just off a MySpace site either... but still... you can try to leverage that... but after you look a little bit it seems like some SEO type shit going on (I hope it's not, and I hope I'm wrong)...

The rep has to gauge your shit versus your potential to make money for them.

What do you think is your radio single? Why aren't you posting all your songs on MySpace so people can share them? Do you really think you're going to make the money you invested back? Or is this promotion for the next level?

I wish you the best though, you're one of the few putting it on the line - I respect that shit.

classic

ill o.g.
That's why you don't expose yourself to shit like this when you're trying to shop something. The appearance that something is hot is more powerful than something that's out there but gets hated on by a dumbass at a review site... and then still trying to convince a head that you're hot.
Yea your probably right, live and learn off of that one. We just weren’t expecting to get straight hated on like that; all our other reviews have been positive, that was just a freak accident how it went down
What's really important, but people forget - about are having PROFESSIONAL pictures. Don't you guys know some cat who can make a good photo portfolio for you? Some black and white pictures... I know you're on a tight budget but images really fucking count.
This is another lesson learned, right now we have more connections and more experience with promo for the next release (late 09) we should be good.
What do you think is your radio single? Why aren't you posting all your songs on MySpace so people can share them? Do you really think you're going to make the money you invested back? Or is this promotion for the next level?
Defiantly promotion/awareness, we were never planning to make any money. We did a big promo push late 08 early 09(did a couple shows etc) This can be reflected in our increased net hits
lately we both have been grinding on our solo projects (Nicholas Kopernicus(class) and GMC(ash)). We are going to be releasing these projects around the same time (may/june) on our Smash Enterprise label. Hopefully this will raise our profile even more and show the diversity that we have as individual artist(s). Then we will hit the public with the next smash brother’s album. Basically the idea build the fan base slowly but surely and show that we are not one trick pony’s
money was never the goal, quality product and awareness is the focus. Hopefully the cheese will come with time.
I wish you the best though, you're one of the few putting it on the line - I respect that shit.
Appreciate it, keep that advice coming, its defo a good look

Class….

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
that cool i never payed attention to that but mentally im past fear factor. it was basically a learning experience putting out the whole record. Im bout to move to russia and become a communist lol. they seemed to love our shit over there, we'd prolly be rockstars or some shit over there. Naw but we made mad mistakes with that record but also did alot of things right. Overall i think our biggest mistake was we skipped a few steps getting the record out. When we made the record we were both primarily producers, which doesn't make for a strong ground movement. We didnt have the "im the shit" mentality and hog the spotlight like we prolly should have. We had the "behind the boards mentality" which doesnt really work when ur putting out your OWN reccord. We didn't do enough shows and put in work on the ground level networking and linking with the type of people who can put us on the map . we kinda just created a piece of art but didnt have the movement behind it. Since then ive been doing way more collabing, (recorded roughly 40 joints in the past 4 months) and i have a tour planned, and some people have even reached out to me to host some events for them and things of that nature (relic im coming down to Charlotte to host a an all day outdoor event/party on Jun 13th, i wanna holla at u and Step) we started the smash enterprise thing, my emcee game is about 3X what u heard on fear factor and overall im pretty much done with that behind the scenes mentality nonsense. It just doesnt work. My album is gonna be Free this time around too so hopefully we can really gain major momentum going into the next smash album. I also got a "best of both worlds" (me raping and my dude goodbrother singing) style mixtape coming out almost right after GMC. looks like a busy summer coming up. keep that advice coming GOD. Its crazy heplful