Pay for a keyboard? or Midi?

Blunt604

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
The question is do you guys think you can get the same quality of sounds on your computer with a midi controller, as you can on going out and dropping a few K on a keyboard?....

right now I am trying to find fire sounds. Does any one who use midi have any recomendations. What are the most Fire VST instruments u can get for fruity loops? I tried reason and the refills i found are fucking terrible. I am wondering if mabey i should say fuck it and buy a new keyboard.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Great VST for FL studio = Nexus

Kontakt with all its instrumental goodness.....EastWest has some good shit...

You could get a good midi controller...then get a rack for the keyboard you wanted at a fraction of the cost....

The Korg M3 rack is dope, because it comes with it's own interface...

Reason has some TOUGH refills, i think the quality of a lot of them are great.....you definitely got a shitty batch...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I kinda like the keyboard idea, I just feel like it makes you more creative and less dependent. I'm a computer based musician/producer only because I can't play a keyboard as good as I can use a computer to make beats. IMO, knowing how to play keys is knowing how to be more versatile and really tapping into true talent. It also makes you less dependent on VST's or refills, having them is definitely a plus but not a necessity.

In my experience, you get more emotion and feeling out of playing keys -vs- inserting a sample and trying to emulate emotions (just too much work for the same results). Ultimately, I think the best choice for anyone interested in making beats is to do whichever they can achieve the best results at. IMO, nothing is "better" with either form of production. What you gain in certain ares, you sacrifice in others.

ess vinyl

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
u can get 95% of the way there with reason. theres a lot of synths and keyboards that are better then refills but its gonna cost a lot of money just for that extra 5%. most (good) reason refills are made from all the top notch keyboards in pro studios anyway and in most cases u cant tell the difference

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Keyboards will never have equal quality to computers. Fidelity, to space, processing etc. Keybooards are computers with sounds and keys/controllers. You computer will infinitely more possibility's in every aspect

daproduct

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
heres a list of refills that i personally recommend if you still got reason...

reason pianos (the steinway d here is by far my favorite software piano to use period.)
miroslav gold collection by sonic reality (combined with the orkester bank, you wont need any other orchestral sounds...)
pink noise - Virology, Deep Flight, Analog Night, Orange 2, Proton3 + reason banks Analog monsters 10 (synths for all you could ever need, great for combinator builds for sound design too..)

Neosound Fantom X Fascimile refill (damn near keyboard quality, minus the rythmic patches working the way they should..)

Neosound Triton Fascimile (i personally like using the brass and synths from there, but the whole things got a damn nice sound to it...)

Sonic reality gold 1-20 (like havin a nice big keyboard patchbank, i personally like the guitars)

if your havin a hard time finding a good source, feel free to pm me and ill work with you on a good deal ;)

other'n that, for vsti i liked steinberg's hypersonic 2 (now discontinued, but you can obtain it from several online sources) refx vanguard (great virus style soft synth)
cakewalk dimension pro w/ the emu proteus expansions (mophatt, phatt planet, proteus 2k, etc.. come in handy sometimes.)

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Am I missing something here? How do you get a better quality sound from a computer than a keyboard when the majority of computer sounds come from a keyboard and even those that don't are processed basically the same way a keyboard does? Isn't a keyboard basically a computer? Are you guys saying that any good quality keyboard sound is produced by a computer? lmao. Sounds like you guys have a recording issue.

I'm just saying?!?!? Is this gonna turn into a "which came first, the keyboard or computer" debate? hahahaha

Even if you just saying computers sound better because of its ability to alter/shape/process sound, you still can't say a computer sounds better than a keyboard from a sound quality aspect unless you're having recording issues. If it's not a problem in the recording then a computer would also sound better than a "live" performance, or does it?

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Well there are so many plugins that a keyboard simply cant do. For example

VSL
BFD
IVory

etc that no keyboard could have the power do to. And then of course all the record and UI stuff. It will always be easier to get better sounds on a computer.

Not to say you cant make amazing songs with a keyboard workstation, but I would say you are limited.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
i'd get a keyboard if i wanted to have a specific keyboard sound. but as an every day weapon, get a midi controller. it depends

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Midi awl day.

RElic would NOT have said this 2 years ago, still go the nord?

I feel him, though. I use a Korg M3 for a lot of my shit, but I'm about to sell it and cop a SSL alpha Channel and go back to the old mpc 2kXL, plus all of my plugs. Komplete 7/kore 2, e/w-g/L goliath, omnisphere and Steven Slate drums. Much better sounds.

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Your right I wouldnt have, but honestly since getting "in the water" there is no going back , the sounds are just unbeleivable and its more economincally viable to spend the $$ on virtual instruments than to keep buying $3000 keyboards to achieve a new sound.

hell yea, mpk 88 + plug ins = ideal set up