Paying to be on mixtapes?

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What's good?

i'm new to the buisness side of things, so bear with me...

I got contacted *ONLINE* by some person(i wont name) who claimed to be part of a national mixtape chain and even had links to the previous released mixtapes.... sounded good, but the only catch was you had to put down a payment for some of the mixtapes you yourself was going to be featured on......doesen't seem bad since you could sell them on your own to make back the money anywas

another thing that seemed shady was that the person found me through one of my soundclicks saying how it was good and all.... and on one of the soundclicks all i have is beats and on the other all i have is some raps recorded on a cheapass mic.... and the person wanted a full track....(which i could do, but haven't posted any FULL TRACKS online as of yet)...

anyways... what is your thoughts on this.... because there are mad scams going on out there, especially online

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The topic had my name in it in parenthesses... but the message seemed like one they'd send to anybody....

now that you mention it... it seems like they went to peoples soundclicks and just copied and pasted the message while putting the specific persons names in the topic maybe?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
That's the thing - so many times I've received emails from people like "Hello, your site is very good, we're launching a music site soon and would like your site to be involved with ours". But not once does it mention IllMuzik, lol. So use your judgement.

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
iight cool, that's what i was thinking, i just wanted to get the opinion of others....

i mean if it was in *real life* maybe if it was a big mixtape...

thanks for the fast replies

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Mr. Sulu raise sheids... Charge phasers...Begin Tracking...lol,
nah man I wouldnt pay for that if you want to make a mix tape to sell to people online or where ever contact cool people here.. PM me hell.. but I would kinda not pay for that , just being me..
I mean anyone could say they did this and that but who is it?
iono , my 2 cents....

H&R

DJ Nice // Crack City
ill o.g.
Unless it's going to be on a huge DJ's tape like Big Mike, KaySlay, GreenLantern, and
etc. don't do it ... It's not worth it and that person is trying to make a quick buck. Network
and find a DJ that actually likes your work and plays your tracks off that strength and
the strength of being connected with him/her.

O

open mind

for 50$ i can get ya shit sent out to 3000 major dj's holla at me for info. its thru my dude greg jacobs who works for rawkus. this aint a bullshit scam either this is 100% legit.
then its a whole diffrent story looks like a good oportunity.i mean 3000 major djs!!! for 50 dollaz aint that bad.

ill o.g.
u shhouldnt have to pay to be featured on a mixtape they should be paying you especially if they want you on it...I fhe really liked your music he would pay you.....do you think jay-z has to pay to be on a trakk with kanye west if kanye was making a new album...NO! because kanye needs his feature on it to get it played...they should be paying you to be on the mixtape especially if he liked your beats......

Blunt604

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
u shhouldnt have to pay to be featured on a mixtape they should be paying you especially if they want you on it...I fhe really liked your music he would pay you.....do you think jay-z has to pay to be on a trakk with kanye west if kanye was making a new album...NO! because kanye needs his feature on it to get it played...they should be paying you to be on the mixtape especially if he liked your beats......

no thats not how it works. mabey if your jay-z yes. but if you are coming up and are fairly unknown u betta beleive u gota throw down some $$ to get on somebodys mixtape . the game isnt about favors the game is about $$$ it is sad. but it is whut it is

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
no thats not how it works. mabey if your jay-z yes. but if you are coming up and are fairly unknown u betta beleive u gota throw down some $$ to get on somebodys mixtape . the game isnt about favors the game is about $$$ it is sad. but it is whut it is

Damn that sux, but thanks for the insight...
Of course it stands to reason if the person putting out the mixtape isnt well known it would be asanine to pay to be on it..

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
just put bluntly, if you have a talent and they want you, they'll pay you. If you have no talent and they're asking you for money, then they want your money, not your talent.

O

open mind

realness meets philosophy formant that was very well said.respect.

...but money can buy a lot of things so for some dudes this deal might work.but wait... who guarantees that the djs gonna play your muzik? what about u give the dude the money and he just says mhhhh THANKS... and the djs never plays your tracks?

read the fuckin contract TWICE!

Blunt604

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
my dude betrayl is down wit dj thoro. raekwons DJ they are tight as fuck and betrayls shit is sick as fuck. still he gota pay to get on. same wit J-love. i dont even wana imagane how much it costs to get on a kayslay mixtape i bet it costs 5 G'z minimum

Blunt604

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
you wouldnt be the one to pay to get on the mixtape the rapper would. and if he doesnt want to pay and is unknown he aint gettin on the mixtape unless its a wak no name dj no one cares about. its all politics the music business is cold something yall need to understand no such thing as a Favor