PC Gurus..where ya at???

DJ Redrum

Playin' For Keeps
ill o.g.
Question - I know alot of audio software has support for dual core, but what about quad core?

Not as much support at the moment with everything being more forward to Dual Cores as in software/games, having a Quad though will allow you to work with more at one time which is needed if your going to be using alot of plugins, rewiring, encoding ect...

i have no intentions of buying 2 graphics cards. here's an oversight that i had. needless to say the pc will not be for gaming use. primarily for internet, lil video and image editing and music production. the primary parts of this package that stood out to me was the q6600 and the 4gigs of RAM

i feel you on Asus, i'd even roll with an intel. i really haven't understood the process of OC'in and the pros and cons of doing so and if would help in my setup or is it something i could later regret.

one of the primary features of this package that really made consider coppin it.

it's definitely a project that will be a few months in the making. i'm working with more of a $500-$700 budget, which is another reason why this bundle looked so attractive to me

an old refurb pc i cop at a pc shop a couple years back. p3, 1Ghz, 512mb of RAM (max)....yyyyyeeeah...the time is vastly approaching for a new joint. but this one will get me thru until i get that new joint poppin.

Seeing as you don't plan on having the computer for mostly games or overclocking i would go with a 650i chipset. Nowadays Intel are worth going for on the processor due the AMD being quite behind in the benchmarks, best to keep with the quad.

Do you want to go with Vista or keep with XP? When i finally get around to building mine i'm going to stay as XP with it being alot more bug free to work with. If you do decide to go with XP you will only be able to have a max of 2-3GB i think most systems pick up just over 2GB depending on if you have 32-64bit.

Intel Quad 6600 2.4 G0 (Retail): is the one you'll be best to buy as a OEM does'nt come with a fan also the G0 stepping is the latest CPU model of the 6600 which runs better and cooler.

Asus P5N-E SLI 650i : is probably the best buy on motherboards for your budget also the same one which i think i'll be going with as anything over this price range is aimed at the overclockers that need more options within the bios.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
dog, a barebone with case and PS where the ones i checkin for first. most of the ones that i've seen, either the specs seem shaky to me or, i'm be honest, the cases looked lame as fuck. not that i'm real picky on a case, but damn them shits was ugly.

word. i feel you on the ugly cases. But yo go wit a Asus motherboard. I never had a problem wit them.

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Not as much support at the moment with everything being more forward to Dual Cores as in software/games, having a Quad though will allow you to work with more at one time which is needed if your going to be using alot of plugins, rewiring, encoding ect...

Seeing as you don't plan on having the computer for mostly games or overclocking i would go with a 650i chipset. Nowadays Intel are worth going for on the processor due the AMD being quite behind in the benchmarks, best to keep with the quad.

Do you want to go with Vista or keep with XP? When i finally get around to building mine i'm going to stay as XP with it being alot more bug free to work with. If you do decide to go with XP you will only be able to have a max of 2-3GB i think most systems pick up just over 2GB depending on if you have 32-64bit.

Intel Quad 6600 2.4 G0 (Retail): is the one you'll be best to buy as a OEM does'nt come with a fan also the G0 stepping is the latest CPU model of the 6600 which runs better and cooler.

Asus P5N-E SLI 650i : is probably the best buy on motherboards for your budget also the same one which i think i'll be going with as anything over this price range is aimed at the overclockers that need more options within the bios.

thanks for the info Red. i'm definitely keeping my eye on the quad. i'd prefer to run with XP. i'm reluctant as hell to mess with vista (i've heard it's gettin better...but still sucks)

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68

thats a dope setup man. Thats everything ya need practically. AMD makes a good chip too. I had that case before and it's sturdy as hell and has good room on the inside. @ gigs of ram is great too, I'm looking for something along those lines. I would go with another gig of ram. (depending on what you are going to run) Extra ram is never bad....dope find.

DJ Redrum

Playin' For Keeps
ill o.g.
thanks for the info Red. i'm definitely keeping my eye on the quad. i'd prefer to run with XP. i'm reluctant as hell to mess with vista (i've heard it's gettin better...but still sucks)

No problem.

This one seems alot more suited to your needs than the previous one, if you were to go with this just remember that the processor is OEM which means you'lll be needing a CPU fan.

Do you also plan on buying a new hardrive(s) for the new setup? If you were Samsung Spinpoint are one of the best to go with, they are also very quite.

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
No problem.

This one seems alot more suited to your needs than the previous one, if you were to go with this just remember that the processor is OEM which means you'lll be needing a CPU fan.

Do you also plan on buying a new hardrive(s) for the new setup? If you were Samsung Spinpoint are one of the best to go with, they are also very quite.
getting a CPU fan is no problem. definitely getting a brand new hard drive. i was lookin at those "green" hd. i'll definitely checkout that spinpoint.