PC's vs. multitrack recorders

h2flow

ill o.g.
Well I was just wondering what people thpught was better gear....
computers or multitrack recorders......Personally I have a dsp factory for the computer which sounds preatty good...But I would rather have a multitrack recorder. I've worked with the digi001 le which I personally thought sounded flat (didn't like it),... pro tools le software was Good... excellent use for mixing, But the software effects were wack... My assumption is that the D/A and A/D on the digi card are wack...Used cubase which I think is excellent and has some good effectts...But what about the hardware, It's just a pain in the neck. I've also worked with some fostex mutitrack which is in't the best but in my opinion has a better sound even though the editing is not as graphical. In my opinion hardware and software go hand in hand......If one is weak the other is going to suffer.....Unless you spend all kinds for like a professional protools set up.....The PC based route in my opinion is inferior... I'm going to proablly go the hardware in the future...If anybody gets sound that can rival hardware on the computer can you say what sound card you use/programs?

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
The PC based route is inferior?

If you listen to hip hop then most of the albums you listen to have been recorded and mixed on Pro Tools. But it sounds like you have your mind pretty well made up about hardware being superior. So go ahead and spend that 3g's for a 16 track. Have fun.

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
Use a computer ....... you can upgrade it as new things come out. But with a multitrack recorder like a roland vs2480 once its outdated you get nothing for it and you have to buy the new version. Plus computers are more universal as multirack recorders are not ..... they try and keep you in there box. With performer, logic, pro tools , they all are compatible files. And most major studios run those kinds of software, not multitrack recorders.

light

Producer
ill o.g.
--EDITING-- sooo easy on a computer, and soo tedius on a multitrack. make sure your multitrack has at least 8 inputs or else youll end up needing another mixer besides the one on the multitrack. you lose sound thru every component. I have a 24 track mixer connected to my computer. make sure your multi track has phantom power capabilities. make sure your multitrack has good high input mic pre's. the excused that pro tool's effects are lame is the same for the multitrack. youll probalby want to avoid the ones on the multitrack too. make sure your multi track has a user friendly disply and that its backlit. one plus for the multitrack is that you can get portable ones. we have an 8 track that we use for remote locations, and shows. oh yah it should have at least 8 outputs as well. especially if your planning on ever doing work in bigger studios. you can bring a pro tools file to anyone to get it mixed and mastered, but if you bring your multitrack recorder with only stereo outs then your screwed.

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah i agree with the rest, i have been doing research myself on recording with pc's or hardware. I am usually totally pro hardware but in this case these guys are right. Once the hardware is outdated its pretty much useless. Go with the pc, buy a nice soundcard, and a good mic. Its much cheaper, reliable, and easier to work with.

Hey guys im also interested in this field of pc recording, you guys have any tips on which soundcards,mics, and mixers with "phantom power" are good? also i would like to know more about this phantom power you guys are talking about....explain please. :headscrat

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
To me it's all a matter of opinion which is best. Best for the money would definately be software. I started out with hardware so that makes it hard for me to leave it. Not only do I like the functions of using hardware but I like the setups. The thing about cpu's is that if they die or you get a serious virus, your work is gone! It happens! But don't get me wrong, if I ever get in the position to buy the COMPLETE ProTools setup, I'll sell every piece of hardware that I own.

--dac

light

Producer
ill o.g.
for a small mixer that has great sound, 10 inputs, great mic pre's on two of the inputs, and phantom power try the behringer eurorack ub1002.

C

Copenhagen

I have personally never used multitrack recorders but I am personally very satisfied with Cool Edit Pro, which I use on my pc at home, and ProTools, which I use at my producer partners house.

B

BeatOff

If you enjoy putting tape everywhere to remember where stuff is then big 100,000$ boards are for you.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Hey I agree on the fact that protools sounds flat or something compared to even cubase or sonar if you do all of your mastering and mixing to get a final mix...I don't understand the hype because I have all three and I find myself using sonar or cubase more...also the stock plugins are not good you have to get something like waves gold plugin mastering suite....most people I know mix and master with protools but guess what....they still end up dumping to tape or running it through their analog equipment to put the finishing touches and a lot of people only record the single multi tracks for each instrument then it gets played back into DATs or Adats...yes I said that.....most of the real old school or in business for awhile studios with real clientele use their analog equipment religiously....analog processing in the pro studios is still desired because 1 they have the money to spend and two a lot of the engineers feel like they have to follow the old school mastering procedures in the analog world to get a real pro mix.......but overall to answer the original question for anyone that knows what they are doing with their computer you can get results that are very close and possibly better with enuff study and practice....I haven't owned a multitrack like a Roland vs or one of those but I have heard the mixes done on them and they are pretty damn good .....but most people I know just use them to take to a bigger studio and dump their mix for professional mastering.

T

The Bastard

phantom power mics are just mics that need a charge to be powered wether thru a battery that goes in the mic or thru the mixing board the upside is theese mics are fuckin powerful we gut a few of em at school

TKNK

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
CUS OF TECHNOLOGY,
MULTITRACK RECORDERS ARE BECOMIN MOR LYK COMPUTERS.
THEY CAN UPDATED ONLINE,CAN BE CONNTECTED VIA USB,HAV OS SYSTEMS NOW,AND HELLA MOR STUFF THATS JUST LYK A COMPUTER.
THEY JUST DONT HAV ALL THAT COMPUTER BLAH BLAH U DONT NEED.
I DONT TRUST PC'S ALOT, THIER 2 UNRELIABLE COMPARED 2 MULTITRACK RECORDERS.

NOW IF U SAY MAC VS. MULTIRACK, THATS A LIL DIFFERENT.

members online