Pete Rock - NY's Finest Discussion

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
Its finally out yall...been waiting for Pete's new album for a long time. So for those of yall that have already picked it up, how does it sound to you? Reviews would dope if you had time. Does PR stay true to his classic sound or switch up the style a little bit? From what little I've already heard from the album, I know it will be a great album.

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, cause I'm waiting to pick it up at f.y.e. I heard that if you buy it there, it will come with a bonus dvd. Anyways, get out there and support one of the best producers of all time.

Attachments

• Pete_Rock-NYs_Finest_b.jpg
    Pete_Rock-NYs_Finest_b.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 155

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
Can't believe I'm typing this but the album was really poor. There were a few good songs but a couple of them were just completely wack... maybe on the level of SS2. One other gripe I had was the list of artists, I mean, Little Brother on an album called "NY's Finest"? Could've had CNN, AZ, CL, EPMD, BDK, Rakim, etc. etc.

Oh and the best track was the Slum Village track which didn't make the cut (made Japanese retail I believe)

FuzE

i make beatz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 99
I've been listening to the joint on MySpace.Unless it totally different from whats released in the store I thought it was dope. It aint groundbreaking or innovative in Pete Rock terms. But its good in my player til the next thing get my interest.

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
it's a good album, it's not the great album we were all waiting to hear. i wouldn't call it wack. i co-sign with relic. with Pete, i can always anticipate hearing some new samples flip in some crazy that will have me going crazy, i was just itchin to hear that first sample he played on his famous video with future music magazine, or even the one they had playin he was interveiw by pugs in chicago. that didn't on this album. imo, the only song that's that true pete rock is the last cut with papoose, not that i'm big on Pap, but THAT BEAT IS DOPE!!!! i like the little brother record, although i do understand manguino's point. i think it would have been a good look to have the likes of Ra, Kane, AZ and new commers like Skyzoo, Big Lou, hell even Saigon. but who's to say with he didn't make that attempt tho. in short, it's a good album, but it's not worth the anticipation.

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
I have the paid for version of Bearshare so I am downloading it right now. I will give my opinion as soon as I check it out. I am surprised at all the bad reviews. Pete must have fell off cause he has always been dope as hell.

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
Pete Rock can certainly do better than this but I like "Questions" and " That's What I Am Talking About" is tight as fuck. I love the hook on that one. Nice groove and easy to listen to. What the Frrrrrrrr was up with the other cuts????? Oh well, they can't ALL be classics. LOL!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I liked it a lot. There's some dope tracks on it, I would say about half are good (the style I like). His intro and first track, the one with LOTUG, then he drops some cool reggae shit with Chip Fu! and of course the last one with Papoose. Good shit. Definitely check it out.