Piano Advice

JKIEYZ

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm trying to teach myself piano and I have been reading books and trying to make sense of all of the information.I know my scales but how do I put it all together to make melodies.Everything is confusing me, I dont get chord progressions and how to put them together in r & b type of music.example of playing would be bryan michael cox and the track "ride for you" by danity kane".If you have any advice on what I should learn that will help me out with playing and understanding notes, scales, chords & chord progressions

Thanks

JAY

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Pay for lessons. Seriously a teacher can evaluate what you already know and teach you based on that much better than a computer or book ever will.

Manji

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
plenty of people learn from books.

But some people just can learn like that and I guess some can't.

When I need to do chord progressions I tend to play a note one by one as I go through the scale, then play the chords around it

FSC

Royal Souf Productions
ill o.g.
If you don't know how to play the piano at all shouldn't you start with the basic stuff first?

static

static yessir
ill o.g.
well if you dont know anything about playing piano then i would also suggest what mike said and pay for lessons. i took some lessons from my god mother before she passed and what little classes i took helped a great deal

ill o.g.
bro formal lessons are NOT the only way to learn, a good set of ears and the desire to accomplish is all you need!! your technique will improve every time you play and especially when you make mistakes! With a piano you can get far by learning one keys scales first as every song in the world can be played in any key. If you find playing in C the most comfortable (most beginners do) you can just transpose the keyboard to fit. For R&B learn the blues scale in C ....
C, D#, F, F#, G, A# - GET YOUR FINGERS USED TO ROLLING UP AND DOWN THESE NOTES.

learn chords that fit with this scale

C + D# + F + G .... C + D# + G ....... A# + C + D# + F .... Just examples theres loads but just change one note of the chord and listen, or move every note down/up by one/or2/or3.... keys.

it often helps to find the melody first using just single notes / sometimes it is easier to find the bass notes first as these will almost always be the root notes of the chords.......

other than that just keep on keepin on makin mistakes- the only way we learn!!!

prose1

ill o.g.
Playing Piano

Basically just play and play. Buy one of those DVD software disc it will clear alot of the mystery in playing. But like it was said before be realistic your not gonna play like Herbie Hancock at first. fool around with 7ths to make the notes full use appreggios and don't be afraid to use sample disc and freak the playing to your own style. Your music is going to have to grow in time.

400-m

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Pay for lessons. Seriously a teacher can evaluate what you already know and teach you based on that much better than a computer or book ever will.

Also, Practice^10. Find some around that knows how to play and ask them to show you something like runs scales or a couple of songs. Learn how to play a song in all keys not the transpose button. Also if you understand chords check out a fake book for many styles of music. There should be a tab on then lern those songs buy playing the chords. this will help to see and hear how certian chord progressions work in real life.