piles of vynals (how much do U pay?)

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I've been hittin the pawnshops and old bookshops lately and found some interesting discs but noticed that the price ranges here from between 1.00 and 0.25. The dollar shops usually are the shitty thrift or salvation army spots and the 0.25-0.50 joints are the family-owned mom and pop shops.

I've also noticed that the 1.00 shops have the most empty sleaves because people are cramming records into one sleave which sucks because the best albums are empty! So for the most part the best spot was 0.25 cent 12" and 0.15 cent 45's!! dope indeed! To bad it's the only one I have found and i've already did my cleaning there.. cool thing is I talked with the owners about music for a long time and mentioned what im looking for and i'm sure if it comes in they'll hold it for me!

What are your local prices and strategies?

ChronoT
inYaArEa

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Hmmm no strategy really over here, I just go every couple of months and hit up all the local joints. Usually they range from 50 cents or 1$... some thrift shops have actually raised the price of their vinyl to 1.50-4$ because of the increased vinyl purchases. A little ridiculous though since most of the expensive ones are Streisand and shit like that. Anyways, I don't really have any strategies, I just go with my gut and dig anywhere. Over the past few years, digging has been a little dull at times, since a lot of record shops have closed. So that means more people diggin at the thrift shops.. and lots of empty sleeves like you mentioned (It's always the good ones, ALWAYS) cheap bastards.

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I hit the £1 crates mostly.

I'm not on the spend money because its rare crap, it doesn't matter. I could buy a record for £1 and it might not be rare but its obscure enough to not be widely know, and I did the other day and made my best beat yet. A budget bin record might not be a classic album and to the average listener/fan might be crap, but to a producer that 1 song outa 10 sounds like it was made to be sampled.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Relic, I never go to 'record stores' because their are prolly 7bucks or whatnot. Old bookstores are actually nice spots to find the untapped goodies.

NW, you know i'm working on a few projects now and have been listening to tons of albums but havn't sampled anything. I've been using them for study how the drums and melodies were used with the lyrics for various dramatics which have been like school for me, I have learned alot. Many of this stuff you guys have already mastered but for me my producing was slowed by drink, smoke, unreal tournament, work, and school.. now that i've cut four of those out im able to soak it in! hehe im looking for a job though :)

one project I started out with a sample from the beatles Yesterday but then ended up making melodies on rtas instruments around it that was much better than the sample so i cut it out.

it's interesting about the prices that are local for you guys. maybe it is cheaper here :).. doesn't explain my ebay lots not selling though :(

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
E-bay is flooded with records, that's probably the reason.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
If I can listen to the records and I know it has a lot hot samples I have payed up to $75 for a record. I try not to pay anymore then that. If I am at a shop and I cant listen to the records I will usually pay as little as possible, usually between 1.00 and 10.00. And I usually look at the vinyl to check its quality before I buy it. Most of these record shops have someone bring in a shit load of records they found in an old garage or something like that and they put the pricing on the vinyl as to what they believe it is worth. It usually overpriced or underpriced. So basically if you can listen to they vinyl and you know the record is hot, its up to you how much would YOU want to pay! If you cant listen just buy cheap records unless you believe that record is dope.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
graff,
wow 75bucks a rec? I read your post in the digging section that you spent 500 shells on 30 albums at that Tucson shop. These records must be the platnium laced diamond dust type gems.. if you don't mind could you post some names of these albums? I'd like to google some of these and reseach what make certain records so valuable and even then so valuable for samples. Maybe some of them are at my local shop hehe. I'd be happy if I could get Poco Seco Singer's "Time" album.. i'm into the old stuff.. stuff that contains a hearty meal :)

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
graff,
wow 75bucks a rec? I read your post in the digging section that you spent 500 shells on 30 albums at that Tucson shop. These records must be the platnium laced diamond dust type gems.. if you don't mind could you post some names of these albums? I'd like to google some of these and reseach what make certain records so valuable and even then so valuable for samples. Maybe some of them are at my local shop hehe. I'd be happy if I could get Poco Seco Singer's "Time" album.. i'm into the old stuff.. stuff that contains a hearty meal :)

Yeah the most I ever spent was $75 for a record. It was Vera Dorjean "you're worth waiting for". Dope record! I did spend a shit load at the place in Tucson, Damn I wish I could go back there. I bought a lot of japanese records there. They all in japanese writing so really cant post names, maybe I will upload some pics if I get time. But on the norm I wont spend more that $10 a record when I usually go shopping. Rare exceptions if I stumble upon something I really want!

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
yeah I noticed in that pete rock vid he had a special release hendrix from japan he was braggin about. when i was 15 i visited japan for a month an 19 days (1993).. damn it's a shame i didn't search for albums back then.. I live in the bible belt and found an album titled "The Coming World Government 666" by Evangelist Darrell Dunn that I picked up cheap, it's gotta be worth lots of dough in other countries far from here. I'm listening and recording it now and it's full of wild vocal samples to be used in production themes.

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
The only record shop I ever visit (cause its the only one that I know of near me), charges $3-4 per record so it takes up a lot of dough on my tight budget. I end up spending about $30-40 on about 8-11 records, but I guess its worth it if I can make a beat or two from sampling all of them which is usually the case. No dollar bin or anything at Cheapo Records (the shop I visit).

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
The only record shop I ever visit (cause its the only one that I know of near me), charges $3-4 per record so it takes up a lot of dough on my tight budget. I end up spending about $30-40 on about 8-11 records, but I guess its worth it if I can make a beat or two from sampling all of them which is usually the case. No dollar bin or anything at Cheapo Records (the shop I visit).

yeah but the joints get you can study an focus on, so its actaully a benefit

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
graff,

Dude Alchemist Paid $125 dollars for a Bruce Lee Record. Its the ones who have the passion for it that spend the most huh Graff lol

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Dude Alchemist Paid $125 dollars for a Bruce Lee Record. Its the ones who have the passion for it that spend the most huh Graff lol

I wouldn't necessarily say it's the people with the most passion who spend the most. Some people can't afford to pay 125$ on a Bruce Lee record. I have a passion for records, but I budget my spending because I have things like rent and bills to pay, so I have to be picky on what records I buy. You don't need a lot of money to get good records, you just have to be patient sometimes.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
You don't need a lot of money to get good records, you just have to be patient sometimes.

i was thinkin about this earlier. there is really one main record im looking for and I know i could get it for 10 bucks on ebay but that's kinda feels like it's cheating. it's a folk album from 1966 so it's bound to show up one day while endlessly flippin through deserts of englebert humperdinks, debbie boones, and ronstandts.. damn i'm sick of seein those guys hahaha damn.. but one day i'll flip to it and supress a huge smile as i pay a quarter for it :).. though if i were rich it would be different.. haha if i were rich alot of things would be different

trykome

CEO DFM Promoter/Emcee/Turntablist /Producer-(+)-
ill o.g.
my stradegy is I go to the same spot and the guys there no me real well and they have my number and when they get their truck in which is every weds and fri they call me and let me know if there are any records and then they ut all the crates they get in the back untill i get there then i dig and grab the goods and leave the rest for who ever else goes to this particular spot which i found out is 2 other people and older guy with a notebook looking for certain records and another cat looking for whatever i ay 5 for a buck and most the time i walk out of there with like 20-30 records and only end up paying 3 bucks on a couple of instances i've bought full boxes that they just got in for 5 bucks and came home to find out that i scored huge ive pulled out Verve Promo cuts and radio broadcast only cuts lots of jazz promos from the 50's and 60s which stokes me out since im jazz fiend and a collector ive gone to other thrift shops aiund town and i have not found a better spot then my secret little piece of heaven as i call it well anyhow thats how i do it there is 2 used record stores here in Reno and i o nly go to them for 45's they are .50 a piece so thats not to bad for VG to Good copies of soul 45's for example i pulled out an Eddie Floyd Stax 7" that was in NM condition and it cost me .50 i was freaking out lol the guy that owns it is cool with me becuase he understands that im not looking for records because of there Value i am there for the MUSIC so yeah umm thats it Im done Peas out Fam

trykome

CEO DFM Promoter/Emcee/Turntablist /Producer-(+)-
ill o.g.
i was thinkin about this earlier. there is really one main record im looking for and I know i could get it for 10 bucks on ebay but that's kinda feels like it's cheating. it's a folk album from 1966 so it's bound to show up one day while endlessly flippin through deserts of englebert humperdinks, debbie boones, and ronstandts.. damn i'm sick of seein those guys hahaha damn.. but one day i'll flip to it and supress a huge smile as i pay a quarter for it :).. though if i were rich it would be different.. haha if i were rich alot of things would be different

Chrono whats the record you are looking for i have a huge collection who knows i may have it in one of my crates

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Chrono whats the record you are looking for i have a huge collection who knows i may have it in one of my crates

Ahh I'm looking for "The Pozo Seco Singers" 1966 album "Time". Now that school starts next week if you have it at a nice price I might cop it.. though right now I am supporting my record habit from selling the ones I don't want, or made copies of, on ebay so my change is short. thanks for the lookout
:edit:
wow that is a nice spot. 5 for a buck? ahah that's better than my jewel spot :). I'm the same way about what you said in the last sentence.. im in it for the music also. So far I really haven't sampled really anything in a production, I just dig the music.. you can't find this stuff anywhere else but vynal. Infact I want the "Time" album because a friend of mine had the 45 that I turned mp3, along with his entire collection of ill classic 45s, for ipod and dug it so much I want the rest to listen to. Also, really observing these classics opens up production options I never knew exsisted before. wordup fam

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
illmuzik gem

check your major cities newspapers websites and search in the classified's under records on the daily. monitor the estate sells and everything else. preserve music of all genres... ||playing benny hill theme|| hehe rel: even hispanic grooves