pitch of bass...

that kid

Keep Diggin'
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
I got a sample done a beat now I'm doing the bassline. question is should the bass sound I use be the same pitch or key as the sample is. Like if I pitch the sample up should the bass be pitched up to the same parameters?? well in the case should every element of the beat be the same pitch or key? thanks....

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
i don't sample at all, but, i'm thinking that all of the samples should be pitched up to the sample. it just makes it sound like it all goes together, rather than sounding like you just threw some shit together. it'll sound like 1 cohesive unit if all of your "instruments" are tuned to the same pitch.

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
Even if you know nothing about music theory, find the bass notes that sound right with the melody. It should be in the same key, and if you get complex, there are some chords/keys that work well with each other if the rhythms are played right.

But for now, start with the "home" key. The home key is the key that you start out on. If you start in G with the melody, and it all goes back to G every 2, 4, 8 bars, then start your bass notes on G and work from there. Or, take another note you used in your melody and start the bass there. See how it sounds. It's all trial and error.

Visceral

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
What I'd do is tweak the bass to the same pitch as your loop or whatever then find the key of your sample (if your ears are like mine and not that musical then use trial and error by going up and down on the keyboard). When you've found the key then experiment, use all the notes of a chord to make a bass riff and just dick about till you find something that sounds good. What Hypnotist said about the home key is a good tip, if you want to make the bassline less repetitive then try alternating the home key on different loops of the sample. Hope I explained that clear enough. Good luck