Pitch, Tempo, and Ableton - Help Requested

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hi. I'm sorry if threads like this have already been made, but i did a search and could not really find anything that was too helpful. I'm using Ableton Live 5.0.1 and i have a question regarding tempo and pitch.

1st of all, wtf is the difference between pitch and tempo?

2nd, I know abletons warp funtion automatically tells you the BPM of a short sample, so how do I go about matching a sample of a certain tempo to another samples tempo? I noticed you can only increase the tempo on ableton, but even thats hella limited IMO.

For example lets say i have a drum loop going at about 120 BPM and i wanna lay a sample down on it, but the sample is at 140 BPM, how the fuck do I perfectly match the sample to the drum loop? Ive tried putting the sample into Simpler and fucking with the Detuning and Octaves, but that doesnt gimme perfect results, is there any other way?

And also, I never fucks with with Master Tempo on the top of Ableton, i always leave it at the default 120 BPM, but am I doing something wrong with this process?

Thank you to anyone who attempts to help me.

S

sampleit!

Hi there, well its pretty simple but the tempo is the speed of the song..ie 120 bpm, the pitch is the is in easy terms like playing notes on a keyboard, each key is a different pitch. when you layer a sample across a keyboard you will notice each key plays it at a different 'PITCH'!!!

As for ableton, this is easy and the main reason why the program was developed!!!
Make sure in the defaults section of preferences that 'loop/warp short samples' is switched to 'auto', then any sample that is of a different bpm will be automaticly timestretched (or warped) to the current song bpm.
Thats of course is assuming your samples are in equal division of your drum loop etc etc.. try it with a a two bar drum loop and a two bar sample or a one bar drum loop with a two bar sample to make it easy for yourself and you should be able to move on from there in no time!!!!!!!!!!!

ps one more thing, of course you can f@ck with the master tempo, 120 is just the default as on all sequencers.....ya makin hip hop so ya tempo should be generally in the 85-100 bpm's speed anyway!!!