pitching a chopped sample in time

dbit

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I come from a background of mostly making my tunes form the ground up, without samples, but I'm definitely enjoying a change in my workflow adding samples to some of my tracks. One of my biggest issues, being somewhat new to sampling is 1. some autochop sample functions don't always chop on the groove point, and also they cut off so fast or don't blend in well to the other chops.

My question right now is, say I want to take a single chop and spread it out on a zone in the sampler. Each key now pitches the note up, but also speeds it up, so if there's a rhythmic sound in the sample, it now speeds up and slows down out of time with the track. I'd be curious to hear what others do in the situation to remedy it. Do you use a sampler that auto time stretches, or is there stand alone software out there to do this process to a chop that needs to be in time for a zone?

Any and all suggestions, ideas, and tips are appreciated.

dbit

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
My two main go-to programs are logic 8 and ableton live, though I'm trying to stay in live more and more as time goes on. I do also have recycle. I don't have kontakt right now, just the kontakt player. I've been using simpler and sampler in ableton, though they both seem kind of quirky compare to, say, the exs24.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I agree, the EXS tends to trump abletons sampler, however Live has good sample stretching resources.....You really can do both in either program.

If I were you tho, i wouldnt try to stretch the sample but rather pitch it to how u like and then change the tempo to fit the sample. Sonically you get better results that way IMO. A sample can only stretch so far until it sounds like shit. Live does this really well, and so does Logic but I prefer to not even bother with stretching unless absolutely necessary.

members online