Post Your Reason Tips and Tricks

Shwaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
DJFantom posted this reason trick in another thread and it got me thinking. I bet there is a lot of stuff people have figured out with reason that may not be so obvious. Or mabey just no obvious to me, who knows. If you got some good tips let me know.

DJFantom- Attach a effect (compressor , reverb , whatever ) to the send on the mixer... Then turn the s1 and or s2 knob up on any individual chanel on the redrum and you can effect that drum indivdualy ... Comes in handy when you wanna add a lil compression to just 1 sound... and or a lil reverb to some thing.... You can have 2 effects @ a time (s1 s2)...

I recently realized you could wire an effect like EQ or a compressor in between the Reason Hardware interface and the main out on your mixer. Very suttle changes in the eq and compression have huge effects when you are effecting the whole sound like this, but can really clean up a muddy or clipping track. This will be especaily useful in 3.0 when you can put the mastering suite in this position. You have to do the wiring manualy though, auto-route doesn't work.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Shwaz said:
DJFantom- Attach a effect (compressor , reverb , whatever ) to the send on the mixer... Then turn the s1 and or s2 knob up on any individual chanel on the redrum and you can effect that drum indivdualy ... Comes in handy when you wanna add a lil compression to just 1 sound... and or a lil reverb to some thing.... You can have 2 effects @ a time (s1 s2)...
Thats why they call them "send effects"....You route them to yer sends and then use yer prefaders.
I religiously route all my shit manually and use this method everytime an effect is added for the simple reason that i want the utmost amount of countrol possible over every sound that needs to be altered. Its jus easier that way.

STEEZ

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Hey I just I mean I am behind the times......I used Reason in Sonar with rewire awhile back with Sonar 1.0 and knew that would tap into the true power but it had a lot of bugs..........Today I finally upgraded my almost 3 year old Protools 5.31 to 6.4......Man all I have to say is......the only Reason I would just get rid of my 3000 is the sequencing.....other than that routing my sounds and Drums individually thru reason.....NOW MY FUGGIn DRUMS sound exactly how I want them imma post some stuff up soon......if you got digi 001 registered the upgrade to 6.4 if you got Windows XP is only 35 dollars.....thats it......but if you have protools.......do not put any of the Reason FX on.......record Dry and then add FX as need in Protools.......post recording.....

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
DueceMade Ent. said:
Thats why they call them "send effects"....You route them to yer sends and then use yer prefaders.
I religiously route all my shit manually and use this method everytime an effect is added for the simple reason that i want the utmost amount of countrol possible over every sound that needs to be altered. Its jus easier that way.

STEEZ

yeah i know how sends work but didnt know they autorouted to the sends on the redrum from the mixer till not too long ago. i dont remember where i got that "trick" i think mita been from here... but hey its alot that dont even know what a send is so thats for them.

shawz good lookin on recognizing my post. there are also a few good posts on here with some good reason tricks search around im sure ull find em..

also yall like he said any more tips/tricks post em up.. i wanna learn a few my self...i aint even 1/3 master how to use this program yet.....

and remember just cause a tip/trick may be odvious to you dont mean it is to every 1 who uses the program . so share ya knowledge . each 1 teach 1.......

and in closing... I HAVE A DREAM... lol...

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Hey no worries...I was jus mentioning thats why theyre called - Send Effects.

On a side note: I just started ReWiring to Live 4.0.....For some reason i dont have the pops and clicks like i used to back when i tried it before so it must be my new soundcard helping me out a little.....(Even tho thats all on yer CPU mainly.)

You should try it some time. It really does expand your capabilites. What i like is how u can scrub your song while playin in sync with yer vocal in Live and as soon as u hear that edit or drop u want u can jus toggle back over to reason and chop that shit out....I think that makes for a very quick working environment that helps u get yer ideas out quicker and better.

C

Copenhagen

Besides what might be added to this thread, you'll also find many tips and tricks in old posts. I even think there has been threads dedicated to Reason tips & tricks before. Just for your info.

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
That's pretty much a little tip, probably most of you know it, but when you hold SHIFT while playing with knobs it's more precise. Instead of going from 4 to 6, you can go from 4 to 5.

Sacred One

I Am One Of God Producers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
Shwaz said:
I recently realized you could wire an effect like EQ or a compressor in between the Reason Hardware interface and the main out on your mixer. Very suttle changes in the eq and compression have huge effects when you are effecting the whole sound like this, but can really clean up a muddy or clipping track. This will be especaily useful in 3.0 when you can put the mastering suite in this position. You have to do the wiring manualy though, auto-route doesn't work.

thanks on the looks that is tight, I tried that and it cleaned up a lot of my mixes

C

Carpe Diem

Its all bout teaching yourself guys.... Just play around with the wires and youll realise you can do some CRAZY ish....

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
Ive got a little trick, if you have finished a track and you want to check if is clipping, speed the tempo up to 999 and play it through and see if it clips, if it does lower the volume until it doesnt then turn the tempo back down. It just saves alot of time.

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
here goes a lil trick i been knew and im sure most of the reason users do also but you never know. expand the nnxt sampler remote editor and click on "select zone via midi" or whatever then hit the key or pad you wanna select. then click on " solo sample" this will map that 1 selected sound or sample over all the keys at different octives. similair to " 16 levels" on the mpc.

DMiddlez

ill o.g.
I always wondered about reason effects verses protools.....i use rewire but often try to use only reson fx...ill try it out..i have limited cpu power though...that would be a nice tip to find..how to get the most out of my cpu while adding protools fx

bigdmakintrax said:
Hey I just I mean I am behind the times......I used Reason in Sonar with rewire awhile back with Sonar 1.0 and knew that would tap into the true power but it had a lot of bugs..........Today I finally upgraded my almost 3 year old Protools 5.31 to 6.4......Man all I have to say is......the only Reason I would just get rid of my 3000 is the sequencing.....other than that routing my sounds and Drums individually thru reason.....NOW MY FUGGIn DRUMS sound exactly how I want them imma post some stuff up soon......if you got digi 001 registered the upgrade to 6.4 if you got Windows XP is only 35 dollars.....thats it......but if you have protools.......do not put any of the Reason FX on.......record Dry and then add FX as need in Protools.......post recording.....

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
You can assign the mute buttons on the mixer to an external midi controller. So if you have hats on 1, kiks on 2, bass on 3, loop em, then you can drop them in and out on the fly, live.

M

mikemusic

Creating a template

dahkter said:
You can assign the mute buttons on the mixer to an external midi controller. So if you have hats on 1, kiks on 2, bass on 3, loop em, then you can drop them in and out on the fly, live.

I have Behringer's BCF2000 and it's HOT. I can mix nicely, quickly, and my automations come out smoother.

I don't know if any of yall have done this but what I did was start with a completely blank pallet. I added all of the peripherals I frequently use. I customized everything until I created a good "template". I did 'File|Save As' and named it "Blank". Then I went into the preferences and changed the Startup to the "Blank" file I created.

Doing that works wonders. As soon as an idea hits, you can just get straight to work without having to set anything up. :D

members online