Pre Amps SUGGESTION...anybody out there?!

Hed

ill o.g.
I'm looking for pre amps...just getting a nice pre amps, the more cheap I can.
I had my eyes on the SM Pro Audio TB 202 (really cheap: 189 euro) but it seems to me not so wonderful, but I don't know...so I saw this two pres: the Presonus Digitube (329 euro) and the Joe Meek threeQ (249 euro)...they're more expensive (since I need a stereo input/output, I'd have to get two of these...) but I heard good things on'em...any suggestions?
I'm a newbie on this hardware stuff, I only know the budget I would spend (300-500 euro maximum!)...I know it would beter for me getting a 2 channel pre amp (so stereo...but I just know expensive stuff...Joe Meek TwinQ would be great...but 829 euro!).
Any help?!
Do you still suggest me getting even two "mono-1 channel" pre amps or is it a dumb move?
Hope you get me.

Hed-ADS

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
what kind of mic are you using, is the mic you use worth the purchase of the pre amp ? (like an sm58 doesnt really need a lot) personaly I'd look into a 2nd hand focusrite platinum series or mindprint pre's in that budget range.

Hed

ill o.g.
TheDeen said:
I use a cheap one, the YAMAHA MG10/2 Mixer with Preamp.

I'm already using a Yamaha MG8/2Fx, yep it sounds nice...

Formant024 said:
what kind of mic are you using, is the mic you use worth the purchase of the pre amp ? (like an sm58 doesnt really need a lot) personaly I'd look into a 2nd hand focusrite platinum series or mindprint pre's in that budget range.

Nope, I ain't process any mic, it's for sampling and scratch purposes...I need "to color" my drums or samples, make'em banging and you know flip sounds the way my ears need...yes I had a look on Focusrite Platinum (Twin Track Pro is about 620 euro), do you know if is it worth the price??
Thanks!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
most of the platinum series are pretty good, but I dunno if its worth getting a pre amp. I you got a dope soundcard you wont really need a pre-amp, perhaps a good console. I say this because the pre's worth looking at are much more expensive, untill then I'd say good sound+good console works much better. In reference to a good! 2 trck pre try Apogee Mini Me ( http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/minime.php ).

As an alternative to hardware, try DSPFX Optimizer (DX)

Hed

ill o.g.
Formant024 said:
most of the platinum series are pretty good, but I dunno if its worth getting a pre amp. I you got a dope soundcard you wont really need a pre-amp, perhaps a good console. I say this because the pre's worth looking at are much more expensive, untill then I'd say good sound+good console works much better. In reference to a good! 2 trck pre try Apogee Mini Me ( http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/minime.php ).

As an alternative to hardware, try DSPFX Optimizer (DX)

I trust a lil'more hardware...actually I'm rocking Mbox1, Yamaha MG8/2Fx, pro Tools LE (besides turntables, mixer and needles)...well the Apogee Mini-Me IS REAL GOOD! But also SO EXPENSIVE...can't effort it for the moment.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
2_nice said:
i don't think it is worth buying a preamp unless you have more $$$

i bought a ksm-27 and have been debating a preamp. hb do you use a pre? does anyone think with e ksm27 that i should buy a preamp>?

an on a sidenote, soapoperas a dump but damn the betties are bumpin!!!!

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 297
I use dbx gear... pretty good price and good sound. I got the 376 silver series w/ the ksm series mic.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
It might, point is that upgrading one bit in the sidechain you pretty much need to go up with the rest of the stuff in the chain which sucks if you're a bedroom techie with a limited budget. You must also ask yourself if you're pleased with a level of acception towards the obtainable quality you can derrive from your home setup( which is very much limited opposed to a studio ). Considering that there's a limit due the improper room dimensions, lack of class-a signal chain you might wanna leave things as is ( meaning it serves its purpose to certain point ). If you want to have the topnotch quality than you might consider booking a studio for a short recording session at subliminal quality because even with a focusrite red outfit in bedroom you cant gain that potential you pay for in a studio. Such a vocal chain may equate somewhere around 10k which is a lot of studio time with possibly better results.

just my 2 euro cents

members online