Preset synths or your own

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
I find myself very confused when I try to screw with the osocilators and envelopes on the Synthesizers so I just use the preset ones. So what I was wandering is how many of yall actually create your own synth sounds.

nobodyfamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
IMO, presets are there for there ideas, sometimes the preset is exactly what you are looking for, other times, it is just similar, and thats is when you tweak it to your liking. I never really just make up a sound from scratch, but i will take a sound that sounds like what i have in my head and start turning knobs until i get what i want. make sense??

fame_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yo pboy holla at the kid ,im gona be in alt sooner or later for good but anyways. im starting to get into tweaking my motif more now adays...unlike pboy i like to create new sounds instead of tweaking a sound thats already in the presets..the reason i do it this way is because the motif only has 128 user slots and i want to try to fill those slots with sounds (crazy n hot) i know no one will have...if i had a triton and the amount of user slots it has i might go about doing it the way pboy do myself. to me othere than the presest itself you must get a good feel for all of the sample rom you keyboard has and what voices they are. i would also go to a percet and change things from its original state to something different and then back just to get a feel for what each parameter do...create a voice from just throwing anything together...what i have found is the more you get use to it the easier it will be...just got to get use to the inside of the machine.

G

Gaz

im clueless with synths but when using one i find random twiddles an shit produced wicked sounds eventualy

eka

Mad samplist productions
ill o.g.
Originally posted by pboyproducer
IMO, presets are there for there ideas, sometimes the preset is exactly what you are looking for, other times, it is just similar, and thats is when you tweak it to your liking. I never really just make up a sound from scratch, but i will take a sound that sounds like what i have in my head and start turning knobs until i get what i want. make sense??

That's what I do also, load a preset and start tweaking.
Usually I start with the adsr knobs wich means Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release. they keep your sound under control.(I think you know what I mean, some sounds can have a life of it's own)
There you can shape your sound and than I start with the osc's or lfo's (Low Frequency Osculators) change the waveforms, adding Reverb or Delay and things like that for changing the sound it's self.
Search for the ADSR knobs or faders and start with that, I find that the easyest way to operate a synth.