Pro Tools Makes me want to shoot myself in the F$%king Head!

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
what version are you using and what problems are you having? i use the mpc to make that portion of the beat and then make the mpc the slave to protools and add instruments into protools and i am using pro tools LE and the purchased version of the newest baddass mpc1000 OS which allows all this. if you think i can help you let me know

im sayin that Pro-Tools is GREAT until something uncontrollable goes wrong...i thought that was obvious. im experiencing PRO TOOLS issues at the moment so thats the source of my frustrations.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
you don't need a pt cert, there are more medium-small studios than large ones, and pt isn't necessary, but knowing the basics and shortcuts of any daw is the most important if you're looking to be an engineer in someones studio (if you can get in, that is).

speed and competency (and the knowledge to shut up and only talk when asked and still be personable) is what's valued, that and a good overstanding of the signal chain.

the studio structure a couple of years ago, like the music industry, has gone through a lot of changes and many studios have closed shop, especially the larger studios. with more options, many 'industry' folk are using the daw's of their choice in their own project/small/medium studio.

R

Rich

^^^Amen. This is good info for all of those pursuing degrees and certificates of any types for Pro tools to get a job in the music industry. It's a waste of money.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
we're not using PT...we are on the subject of changing setup and opting for an ssl 6K or...going for euphonix artist controllers and summing boxes with automated vca and something like prism ad/da or aurora ad/da and im telling ya, its headbreaking to configure a setup in which the ssl console is replaced but rather that then a PT lunchbox. The thing i hate so far is that there arent any high end ad/da with vca automation, it would imply that nobody would need a mixer which basically is even better from an audiophile perspective.

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
after months of frustration ive really grown to like pro tools... its a a bit tedious, especially with just a mouse, but its so precise with audio.. theres nothing else that i trust with editing vocals like pro tools.

same hea after seeing alot of tutorials on youtube it made me feel better about it

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
cool, are you using a DAW at all or are you using 2"?

logic...thought about PT but just to convert projects from clients...logic get thumbs up simply because we use a hardware setup and backline instead of plugins, the rest motu and vintage preamps and a modded topaz console. We use the logic eq quite a lot but no complaints there, incidentally the tape delay is there and space designer is cool, but we got korg and roland tape delays and a twinverb which make up for it.

But seriously, its an illness as we constantly doubt each facet of the setup. Like the ssl would come with a rare auratone monitors built in the console so we're reconsidering nearfields, suggesting to replace the 1031a's with decent midfields and new auratones, it just never stops lol.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
for now just motu and sometimes we just rent in an aurora. I wouldnt go symphony, let apogee work on that for a year or two lol, currently we run 7.2 on a maxed 1gHz G4 recordig 24 chnls with an inline console but the logic studio has independend monitor feature so we can still route out a monitor mix and record non destructive...so our plan to work without an inline console should go well.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
Working in the music industry and not knowing Pro tools is like a graphic designer not knowing Photoshop. 7thangel do you make your living in the music industry? I know of two people on this forum that do. And both of us know PT inside and out.
yup, i do make a living and though i own and know pt i don't use it at my work, it's logic, which i had to learn real quick.

more and more studios have different apps/daws. maybe pt is the standard where you are but it isn't set in stone in many places. and again, the ability to work fast, efficient and knowing the basics is more important. certification is expensive and must be updated (another payment) whenever a new major release/update comes out that requires certification. that is if you take it seriously

elementsrtyte

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
does anybody who just has a midi controller use protools to sequence? or does everybody generally just track their tracks out to pro tools for mixing. cause its definitely the biggest pain in the ass to create a new vst track for every single instrument and the quantizing is TERRIBLE. it pisses me off way too much. no comparison to reason. and setting record loops are a pain in the ass by themselves. like if i'm recording midi in a loop, by the time the loop comes back aound, it deletes all my midi notes from the last bar. man i can name an infininte list of why any other daw/sequencer would be a lot more appropriate to make beats from and then just track them out to protools in the end.

yea protools is good if you have an mpc, a m3, and a bunch of other hardware, but if you just have a midi keyboard, i think its a piece of shit. does anybody disagree with me? or am i speakin the truth. hah

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
^^^^ i cant believe PT works that way, all these platformes offer the same functionality thus your issue should be solved by using PT correctly. I can guarantee you that all platforms would do the exact same thing if you operate in manner you explain above. Reason is not a fullfledged platform, i wont use it for comparison.

elementsrtyte

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
have you used pt before? and yea i'm not comparing it to reason directly, i'm just comparing the midi note sequencer part of it. but ya basically i'm just wondering if anyone actually would use it to sequence midi. i know a lot of cats that just sequence EVERYTHING on their mpcs and then solo the AUDIO out to pt, but I don't know anyone who actually goes in and sequences all the MIDI in pt.

members online