Pro tools question?

Soulja

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Do I have to have M-box or digi 002 to run Pro Tools? I would like to be able to use pro tools, but I'm leaning towards a EMU 1820m sound card. Will I be able to run pro tools on this card.

Thank,
Soulja

C

Copenhagen

You can run ProTools free if your OS is 98 or ME only. It has a limit of 8 tracks only and is really only considered to be a try out.
If you're not using the matching hardware, which comes bundled with ProTools LE (or TDM), I see no benefit from using ProTools free.

Soulja

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I want to know what you guys would go with in my position. I've been meeting alot of people in st.louis that either rap or make beats. Some of them are very talented, but really are not using theyre talents because they are either broke or don't know what steps to take. I consider myself a driven person and I would like to help some of these people(and at the same time help myself) by seting up a home studio and recording, producing, and possibly promoting. I have taken a few music tech. classes and can record in cubase and pro tools, and would like to start using reason.I've already chosen monitors and a mic. My question is should I go with a soundcard like emu,m-audio,aardvark,etc or get the digi 002. I'm sure questions like this have been beaten to death, and I know that it really doesnt matter what gear you have. If you have talent the you have talent.

Thanks,
Soulja

C

Copenhagen

Well, I personally see no need for you to start out with a Digi002, but as I am using Reason rewired to ProTools (using the M-Box as soundcard) and am happy with that setup, which also includes a program you have taken classes for and Reason, which you'd like to use, I suggest this as one possiblity. Then add a mic, some good active speakers, a midikeyboard etc.
Also, I've bought a VST to RTAS wrapper so I can use VST's with ProTools.

Anyway, other people will give you other suggestions...but in the end you have to make the choice.

Soulja

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Will I get the same sound for the Mbox as from the Digi 002?

Thanks,
Soulja

C

Copenhagen

I don't know if the Digi002's sound is a minor percentage better, but the M-Box should both cover your needs and the sound is more than sufficient, at least in my opinion.

light

Producer
ill o.g.
How many ins and outs do you want. thats a big difference.

002 will sound better. to a conesieurs ears

do you have USB?

check it out
i perfer pro tools but thats just the light