Problem with hardware compressor

TjombaBeats

Mister Miyagi Beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 151
Hello there guys,

I have a small problem which kinda confuses me allot now. I have a hardware compressor connected to my mixer which is a Behringer xenyx x2442usb compressor is samson s.com4.Now i got my compressor connected to main ins on the back of the mixer. And from the looks of it it all works great i can hear the sound adjustments i make with the compressor through the speaker but now the tricky part.

The changes coming out of the speakers is not captured by ableton or pro tools 11. I can twist the knobs lower the volume it all happens on speakers but not in ableton itself. Can anyone assist me with this problem? Im lookin on the net searching around to solve this issue but im kinda lost now of how i need to search for this exact problem.

See i want to use my hardwarecompressor to compress the beat on the end. I thought the compressor would give the changes automatically to the audio signal but it doesn't.

Any help would be great.

Greetz,

Tjomba

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
You will basically have to record the mix back in. “Print” the effect so to speak, but man no offense but that is such a low end hardware compressor that a plugin would probably be a better choice anyway. I don’t think it would be worth the trouble unless it was a nicer one.

TjombaBeats

Mister Miyagi Beats
ill o.g.
You will basically have to record the mix back in. “Print” the effect so to speak, but man no offense but that is such a low end hardware compressor that a plugin would probably be a better choice anyway. I don’t think it would be worth the trouble unless it was a nicer one.

Well yeah i already readed allot of people saying plug-ins are better than the average hardware compressor. But for now i am trying to get the compressor audio signal into the daw. It shouldnt be that hard if the mixer has MAIN INS which mine does the sound out of the speakers is compressed only my daw won't like notice it.

TjombaBeats

Mister Miyagi Beats
ill o.g.
Yeah it does make sense but the thing is i don't really know how to because i got 2 cables both split from 1 into 2 cables they're both in the input and output connected to the main ins so output should get in aswell.. and it does like i said its the compressor works on the speaker system but not in the daw. It works on the synths connected to the mixer and speakers but not daw. I tried the external audio effect plug in but because i have asio4all driver i only have 2 mono channels both create 1 stereo channel. When i use the plug in it doesnt work because like you said it should receive signal back into the mixer.

TjombaBeats

Mister Miyagi Beats
ill o.g.
Well i go to the site of my mixer than look up @ downloads and only see them refering to asio4all site so i did not know they have another driver for this particular mixer. I have 2 pictures only when i try to attach 1 of them to this post it's too big file size. Im gonna try one thing now. I have another effects unit plugged in im just gonna power it on see if it magically does something. It's weird situation im allmost sure i plugged in the cables correctly red for right and black for left. connected on 2 channels on the compressor for Left and Right they both go in the main ins on the back of the mixer. i have the 2 pictures they are on for 1 day hopefully its good sorry the pictures arent top quality but does showhow i got it connected.

Last edited:

TjombaBeats

Mister Miyagi Beats
ill o.g.
Sorry i do not fully understand that sentence..
Main ins should compress everything the sound that goes to my speakers is like compressed but the sound in the daw for example drums that signal strength stays the same see i can hear diference when i fully engage the compressor to compress but the signal out of for example drumz stays the same i mean like same volume.

That makes me wonder why it doesnt compress the signal because the out put and input goes to the main ins.. and the sound over speakers is changing when i use the compressor and changes in the programm but like drums that signal doesnt get compressed because its not made with the connection of an instrument.

TjombaBeats

Mister Miyagi Beats
ill o.g.
So I see what you mean about asio4all ok does it make sense that you need to route the compressor output to a new track in live and record the compressor?

Nevermind i found out the compressor doesn't get sent to the computer. Everything can only be mixed within the mixer if that makes sense. So if i have a synth connected i can compress that signal everything instrumental can be compressed thats connected to the mixer but the mixer only has 1 stereo output so i cant assign the compressor in the DAW with plugin external device. It's a damn shame cuz i bought this mixer with intentions of compressing the whole mix. But i can't with this mixer and what sucks more this mixer is the best in its price class. If i go for a bigger mixer than im about 600-800 euros lighter and i don't need more channels this mixer connects all my synths etc. i can try to connect my mixer to an external audio device or compressor to external audio drive. You was right btw the signal did not get send just because i can't rout signals if theres only 1 stereo image pretty much. Or an patchbay would be good too i think.

Last edited:

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Yes exactly thats called "printing" an effect. You essentially need to route the compressor output to the audio interface input and record the effect back in. But honestly even the free plugins BLOW away the hardware you are using so I would just not worry about it until you are ready to drop some serious coin on a really nice mixer.

TjombaBeats

Mister Miyagi Beats
ill o.g.
Yes exactly thats called "printing" an effect. You essentially need to route the compressor output to the audio interface input and record the effect back in. But honestly even the free plugins BLOW away the hardware you are using so I would just not worry about it until you are ready to drop some serious coin on a really nice mixer.

Well the compressor is not super good but it does its job. The mixer tho is pretty nice to have but the thing is i need it i have like 3 instruments connected now one synth is going for reperation and its probably the best synth i have atm. Im thinking about buying a patchbay so i can connect a bit better. software does it better maybe but for me analog way creates some nice warmth right away. I fixed it btw. I connected CRTL room outs to line ins on my external audio device UX1 than the analog outs go into the ins of my mixer channel 9/10. I need to say that compressor does compress the signal heavy. Software doesnt compress like that.

members online