Problems with setup!!!

• beat this! voting starts in...

*~Snaelro Wen~*

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Ok gang, i was tryna get my laptop with colossus to work as a sound module for my mpc 2500. I had all the cable shit setup right and i had the midi channels correct, i believe :))

But when i went to record all i could get out of the mpc was notes, no sound from the speakers except the ones in the laptop itself. So i did what any mp user would do, go straight to the manual. the way the booklet had it setup was the sound mod was connected thru midi and a mixer. So i bought a behringer UB1204fx pro mixer and just recently upgraded to a mpc 4000 (yes!)

Problem is i dont know how to route everything. If i route the speakers to the main mix of the mixer and have the mpc on 1 channel strip and the laptop on another wouldnt the sound level be off. I could be working on full blast and track it out and realize its all low. Dont want that to happen. Plus ive looked threw the manual of the mpc 4000 and theres no connection between the mixer and the sound module on its diagram, just a midi connect between the mpc and the module, but wouldnt that give you no sound? Im so lost so please show some love and help a brotha out!!! Peace

P.S.

Another problem of mine is that im scared that my numark pt-01 turntable (with built in phono) gonna have a problem with my mpc 4000 (with built in phono) I dont wanna blow out nutthin. Just give me some insight on that as well. Thanks!

maxim1

ill o.g.
Wish I could help brov but im in the same situation, not quite the same problem I have just taken back my behringer UB1204fx, didnt have it for one day opted for Alesis multimix16 firewire. Nothing wrong with it just like the idea of being able to multi track record.

goto another vendors website and pull down the manual and compare i had to do this when a had the behringer

peace

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
so the labtop was playing the colossus intruments and the mpc was playing the drums/samples?

if this is so.. then this is natural while using a vst as a sound module in your setup via computer. what you need is a recording device besides your one sound card. i use two soundcards on my computer, hence two recording devices. one for everything and one only for recording, then i dedicate my recording software to my dedicated recording soundcard and record.

if this helps but only kinda then paypal me 20 bucks per hour and i will help you further. i will not rip you off cause i dont need or want your money.. nor want my time deduced from my album.. this is a favor

*~Snaelro Wen~*

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
are u serious? thats the whole point of this forum is to get free advice from those whose more experience. Get the hell outta here....

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Chrono said:
so the labtop was playing the colossus intruments and the mpc was playing the drums/samples?

if this is so.. then this is natural while using a vst as a sound module in your setup via computer. what you need is a recording device besides your one sound card. i use two soundcards on my computer, hence two recording devices. one for everything and one only for recording, then i dedicate my recording software to my dedicated recording soundcard and record.

if this helps but only kinda then paypal me 20 bucks per hour and i will help you further. i will not rip you off cause i dont need or want your money.. nor want my time deduced from my album.. this is a favor

dude, I'd be a rich man by now lol!

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
I read and reread your setup problem over and over and i'm still confused lol..

It may be easier to forget using midi and just sample in melodies from your laptop, chop it, and then arrange/fit it in your mp. Then you could have your mp go to the mixer and not worry about the sounds commin off the laptop.

I kno the whole point is to be able to use midi but this could be just a way around it.

If you are using a mixer, you will have your mp and laptop connected via midi and then both your mp and laptop will have audio cables connected to the mixer through their own channels.

How do you plan on recording your final beat? Like, what is your UB1204FX mixer going into?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
dude, I'd just hook up monitors directly to the mpc and indeed, record the pc on input at mpc ( dont know if mpc4k has input on the mixer ). Forget the behringer mixer as you're downgrading the signals going that mixer. The mpc4k has topnotch converters, the pc depends on the your soundcard but that mixer just isnt up to par with the rest. Ideal would be a good soundcard with lots of io to connect directly to the mpc and slave the pc to the mpc when using the pc's plugins, the one with the best converters would be preferable for recording/monitoring.

*~Snaelro Wen~*

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
thanks for the info Formant, i plug in my laptop 2.5mm jack into the left record in of mpc (with a 1/4 adaptor of course) and it actually works, but theres only two problem with this way. i get some noise after recording wat im playing and having to record a melody or bassline without the music your playing to is a pain in the ass. it kills the creativity. but you didnt help alot. anyone else with a lil help please drop a line. thanks~!