Producer Development Series

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
I am thinking of doing some articles or blog posts on my development as a producer, but especially as a beat maker at this point in time. I was just curious whether anyone has or is using any sort of framework in their development or just free falling as I have been doing. That is, just basically making beats and some what getting better over the years.

I would like to have some kind of cook book (bunch of articles) of how I grow music wise, and perhaps share that with everyone else and see if anyone else can gain from it.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
I spend 3 hours a day (collectively) working on sounds (mixing,blending,experimenting) and redoing songs or elements in songs that I take interest in. Most of the time I;m doing this away from via laptop and midi controller.

Why remake songs? Well you gain a lot from them not only composition but arrangement, mixing templates and patches for later use in your own creations. A lot of people knock this method wanting to stay original or what have you but it really does pay off in the long run.

REMAKE!!!

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
I spend 3 hours a day (collectively) working on sounds (mixing,blending,experimenting) and redoing songs or elements in songs that I take interest in. Most of the time I;m doing this away from via laptop and midi controller.

Why remake songs? Well you gain a lot from them not only composition but arrangement, mixing templates and patches for later use in your own creations. A lot of people knock this method wanting to stay original or what have you but it really does pay off in the long run.

REMAKE!!!

I have always liked the "remake concept" but always shyed away from it in fear of losing originality or becoming less creative. But ofcourse that is a ridiculous mindset, because there really is little that has not been done before. It always is a reinvention of an old idea or concept.

learning from others however, in a creative way is important especially as it has been the foundation of a lot of really good artists. Singers like Beyonce sung other people's songs in church for years before coming out on their own. One of the greatest guitarists ever, Eddie Van Halen learnt all of Eric Claptons guitar solos by the time he was 14! The same can be seen with other great instrumentalists and singers. They did not just resing, or replay, they gave their own interpretations too.

A key benefit from using this idea is learning the "vocab" of music. Hmm I can a long winded post coming out of this so I will stop here and see if I can develop something decent out of it. Good idea Nnxt.

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
i would say a good developmental tool is to know as much equipment as possible. hardware and software. like for me for instance, i hate the triton but i can still krank out one on it if needed. wherever you go there will be different gear and operating systems.

samuelock

I want Funnel Cake.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 110
well, i wouldn't really call any kind of person copying a role model remaking at all. it's really just learning and progressing.

i think for me, my development really progressed once i got serious about making songs with these beats, not just making beats in general. i don't really know though, i guess it has been pretty much a free fall type thing for me.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
THE ALLEGED LIFE OF A PRODUCER

Wake up: 2-3pm.

Kick one night-stand out of bed: 3:15pm.

Message friends to meet for "breakfast": 3:30pm

Go to restaurant wearing shades nursing hangover for "breakfast": 4pm

Stop to buy something stupid at Nordstrom: 5:30-6pm

Hit studio with band/artist waiting for over 2hrs: 7pm

Get chewed out by manager: 7-7:15pm

Kick manager out of session: 7:16pm

Record: 7:30pm - 2am

(Order food: 11:30pm)

Clean up recordings: 2am - 6/7am

ALTERNATIVES:

Stip club "break": 10pm-12am

REPEAT CYCLE AND PRACTICE, KID! PRACTICE!

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Sounds fun to me...

Except that I wouldn't be late to any appointment that I agreed to make...

Bamboo

ill o.g.
I think it's a good idea Afrique - keeping track of your progress is really useful - even just to take stock of your accomplishments. Also, when you explain a technique or a situation you can often gain clarity and perspective that you may have missed otherwise. I've started an artist blog that I use to write about techniques, playing live, trying to get signed etc, ( http://jacobgiles.blogspot.com ), and I've found that by writing things down and documenting my progress I've reinforced things I know and noticed things that I need to improve upon.

It's definitely a great idea and I've learnt a lot from reading articles / tips / techniques written by other producers.

Im from the same school Afrique, practice and practice till you learn what you are actually doing.
Its taken me over 10 years and I still have shitloads to learn.

THE ALLEGED LIFE OF A PRODUCER

Wake up: 2-3pm.

Kick one night-stand out of bed: 3:15pm.

Message friends to meet for "breakfast": 3:30pm

Go to restaurant wearing shades nursing hangover for "breakfast": 4pm

Stop to buy something stupid at Nordstrom: 5:30-6pm

Hit studio with band/artist waiting for over 2hrs: 7pm

Get chewed out by manager: 7-7:15pm

Kick manager out of session: 7:16pm

Record: 7:30pm - 2am

(Order food: 11:30pm)

Clean up recordings: 2am - 6/7am

ALTERNATIVES:

Stip club "break": 10pm-12am

REPEAT CYCLE AND PRACTICE, KID! PRACTICE!

I can just dream of that existence.